Don't buy the G2

franx

Seems to be a bad hw combo. To solve this kind of problems I made a second partition with a W10,

One partition is for everyday work, the second one just for dcs FS and xp11, so I have a lclean os and I can refresh it very fast.

The flight sims are installed in another m.2 pciE drive and I just backup the profile before reinstall the OS 

1 ora fa, C3PO ha scritto:

I downgraded the PCI-e slot for the add-on USB card (into which the G2 plugs in) from Gen 4 to Gen 3 via the BIOS. Obviously kept Gen 4 for everything else. Also avoid the beta of WMR ... that has issues ... but do use SteamVR beta version.

Also Steam vr Beta have problems at the moment....

I have the Quest 2 and Reverb G2. When my G2 needed to be replaced under warranty, but was gone for 2 months due to supply shortages, I had only one problem flying with the Quest 2: battery life. But upon getting the G2 back, the gain in clarity from the higher resolution with equal or better frame rates was amazing.

I have a new PC with a 5800x cpu on a Crosshair VIII Dark Hero motherboard waiting for m2 hard drives that should arrive tomorrow. For the moment, I am stuck with my old 1080 gpu, but I plan to get a 6800 xt or 6900 xt if the supply ever catches up to the demand. I understand I may have issues with the Reverb G2 similar to the problems in the original post. But having seen the difference between the two headsets, I won't give up without a fight. I love the G2's graphics.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Using b550 and a 6900 XT here. Had an issue with some USB ports but overall it works well. It's tricky to get the performance where you want it but just getting video was almost plug&play.

4 hours ago, C3PO said:

That's it. I make sure I keep my head very still from the point you see the Steam dark landscape and everything loads up, otherwise head position can get screwed up, but apart from that works as advertised. 

There is a keybind in DCS to reset head position. If you use that you don't have to hold your head still and can change seating postion anytime.

• Thanks 1

Also tested the G2, but the FOV was to small and the Controllers are to bulky. At least for me.
Of course the Display ist just crazy good. Colors, Black and Res. just perfekt!
Also had no Problems with the performance or the drivers. 

But compared to the Q2 it was to much price difference. If the G2 would be around 500€ with Controllers I would buy one.

G2 with more FOV, maybe a thinner Cable and the Q2 Controllers = Dream

12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

15 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

franx, Do you get a 7-14 error in the headset? If so let me know.

@The_Nephilim I get them from time to time ... only thing that helps is to unplug and plug the headset... Any hints? I hate it and I hate also the crashes of Steam VR during longer flight missions ... on the other hand I will never play DCS without VR! The G2 headset is really good in general.

48 minutes ago, YMadDog said:

@The_Nephilim I get them from time to time ... only thing that helps is to unplug and plug the headset... Any hints? I hate it and I hate also the crashes of Steam VR during longer flight missions ... on the other hand I will never play DCS without VR! The G2 headset is really good in general.

Do you have a 570AMD chipset motherboard?

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I have the Quest 2 and Reverb G2. When my G2 needed to be replaced under warranty, but was gone for 2 months due to supply shortages, I had only one problem flying with the Quest 2: battery life. But upon getting the G2 back, the gain in clarity from the higher resolution with equal or better frame rates was amazing.

Same here (in Spain). It has been two weeks since they told me not to worry since they will send me a replacement. And it seems it is going to be another "two weeks ™" until they finally send me a new cable :(

I don't really understand the logic, if you know most of your client's problems are due to the cable, why don't increase cable production? Hell, I would even gladly pay for a new cable if I could! XD

Enviado desde mi POCOPHONE F1 mediante Tapatalk

On 5/28/2021 at 4:03 AM, Max Thunder said:

G2 with more FOV, maybe a thinner Cable and the Q2 Controllers = Dream

Dream = HITC Vive Pro 2. 

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

2 hours ago, GunSlingerAUS said:

Dream = HITC Vive Pro 2. 

No, lacks inside out tracking.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I love my G2... but thx.

i7-9700K / 64Gb / 3080 FE / OS on 500GB M2 / Games on 1000GB M2 / LG C1 48" / Reverb G2 / Warthog Hotas & Monstertech / TrackiR 5 Clip / Tobii 5 / ButtKicker & JetPad / Os: Win11 Pro Dev / SimShaker / VoiceA. / VIaCom Pro / Srs

10 hours ago, GunSlingerAUS said:

Dream = HITC Vive Pro 2. 

Yes, I would buy one but the Lighthouse tracking is not possible for me. And to be honest, the design is far away from what I prefer.

And I have to say, that I ordered a second G2 in order to test it with the FOV Mod. Should arrive tomorrow. If this helps maybe I keep her this time.

12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

My G2 wont happily run from any usb ports on my B450 mobo but runs from the usb on my gfx card just fine. I had a week of problems at one point that was solved after reinstalling vmr for steam vr but apart from that the G2 has been amazing, running on 5600x and 6800 gfx card.

Side note imo FOV is over rated. Sure put on a headset and look around and pay attention and there seems to be things that dont seem good enough like FOV but after a few mins in a game you don't notice or care about those anymore. I modded my G2 to improve FOV and it increases it noticeably but 10 seconds later you don't care anymore so switched back to more comfortable face plate instead.  

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 11:14 PM, franx said:

Radeon software 

.. and meanwhile,  its all fine on my nvidia card.   G2 is more fiddly than oculus though. No getting round that.   

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

On 5/27/2021 at 10:14 AM, franx said:

Unless someone has some magic cure you can share, I'm going with the Quest 2 this weekend.

For me the magic cure was Thud's https://vr4dcs.com/ guidelines. He gave me the help I needed to sort it out and get the G2 to work correctly. I am now really happy with the next level in VR over the Rift S. The thing is amazing, though I was close to losing my composure with it a few times there.

Edited by reemit0772

i5/9600K wc, Z390XP, 32Gb/DDR4, 1080ti wc, 850 Evo SSD, TMWH, DSD FLT1, ORs.

A10C, UH1, MI8, BF109K4, SA342M, L39C, M2000C, Mig21BIS, Mig15, F86, C101, Hawk, F-14, F-5E, Spitfire MkIX, AV8B N/A, FA-18C, P51-D, Yak 52, Mig19p, F-16C, JF-17 OPF, Red Flag2, MusRel, BnboB, Tbs, TEW 3.0, TTQ, MI8 OFC, SC.

1 hour ago, reemit0772 said:

For me the magic cure was Thud's https://vr4dcs.com/ guidelines. He gave me the help I needed to sort it out and get the G2 to work correctly. I am now really happy with the next level in VR over the Rift S. The thing is amazing, though I was close to losing my composure with it a few times there.

Yeah Reverb G2 is a nice upgrade over Rift S. Especially for flight sims and that cockpit clarity.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

In my opinion the G2 is a great piece of hardware. The face plate could have been better thought out (multiple size and replaceable pads)  and some vent holes above the hot spot where the cable attaches. 

I think the real problem is the software implementation. Instead of having to run it through WMR and SteamVR it should have a single direct software package that is installed on Win 10. There is just to many moving parts when you have to go from Windows to WMR to SteamVR to whatever your game or software might require. There are just to many opportunity's for incompatibility. And every time your software has to convert you waste cycles doing so.

I would also like to see the inline power pack removed ( a point of failure that would require the replacement of the whole cable) in favor of a requirement for a powered USB hub.  I don't know how VR hardware will progress from here. They may require more or less power but I don't want to rely on MB manufactures to supply it.   

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

I just received my g2 over the weekend and once I figured out I needed to add dcs (standalone openbetq) to steam it just ran. I had some weird issues with my mouse not reaching the far right bottom end of the screen. But that was all.

Yesterday I fired up all of the gear again and changed to resolution to 3840x2160 and 1 screen. I had it at a custom 6000x1440 with several viewports. Then rebooted and fired up dcs in the headset. Dcs fires up alright. I find myself in the hangar eith the start screen. But i can’t interact with it at all. No way to click anything. The controller beams just go right through the dcs screen. And when i try to use my mouse i get a window out of focus warning.

Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alt-Tab to another open window then click window key +y then tab to DCS window. 

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

You can disable the mouse disabling in windows settings:

image.png

Then go to "Headset display" tab, scroll to the bottom and change the boxed setting to manual. You may still need to alt tab to give DCS focus sometimes, depends on how you start DCS.

image.png

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

The "out of focus" just means that DCS is not the active window any more. Look at your monitor and look for the dot to be in the VR mirror image and click. The massage should go away. After you get used to it you can do it without looking at your screen. There is also an option under the VR tab to lock the cursor into the VR environment but that gets to be a pain if you are also using things like Voice Attack or NSVR.

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

I can understand the original poster's frustration. After initially loving the clarity of the G2 after only a couple of weeks I soon started to get black screen issues until my G2 would no longer work at all. Now, after a new PC, replacement cables, 2 months waiting for a new headset and after two weeks of my replacement headset working perfectly, suddenly it just stopped working mid DCS flight. I haven't updated Windows, drivers or anything. It went from working to crashing and not working in an instant - just like that! I'm getting USB 4.1 error codes now, in every USB port that I try. Windows even says it doesn't recognise the connected USB device, even though WMR automatically starts up! I even tried a brand new unused cable that HP had sent me before sending the new headset, which up until now I hadn't used. That isn't working either. So all I can think is, since nothing has changed on my PC and I've tried different, new cables, the fault must be the headset. I'm just about ready to give up on the G2 and ask for a refund. 

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

So mine is a different voice then. I got my G2 from one of the first shippings available in Europe, used it ever since almost daily and never had any issues at all.
Actually it is the first VR set (had around half a dozen others before) which is simply working without anything to complain about.

So in opposition to the subject of the thread: DO buy the G2, it's fantastic!
And on a side note - some combinations of hardware just don't work and sometimes things break. But saying "Don't buy the G2" because of that is utter nonsense.

Edited by DthFrmAbv
  • Like 1

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup: