ATFLIR tricks in A/A...

VIXEN413

Hey all, 

I came across 2 things that raised some questions about the ATFLIR in a simple SQ 7600 interception scenario. 

1: I came close to the aircraft that I was rejoining for the intercept and wanted to get the pod on him for VID. 

As I was already close, I punched ACM modes and lock him up using WACQ. 

Now, I had the ATK rdr SOI on right ddi, and the flir on left ddi so how can I make the flir SOI? If I SCS left, the ACM goes back in WACQ search... I get the logic, it makes sense but then, going out of ACM needs undesignate and that sends the pod to Rome....Is there any way I can stay with the pod still looking where it was? 

Second strange thing:

I just bring the pod on left ddi, rdr on right, make the flir SOI and all that without engaging A/A mode. 

I lock (auto trk) the rogue plane with the flir. All fine altough the pod is not in it's A/A logic but on the HSI (on ampcd), I cant change the Waypoints anymore and also cant get the position of the selected TCN, it disapears from my screen. 

I

all comes back normal if I undesignate the flir lock... Is it normal behaviour or should pod lock and info not mess with my HSI symbology? 

BR

Edited by VIXEN413
  • Like 1

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

8 hours ago, VIXEN413 said:

Hey all, 

I came across 2 things that raised some questions about the ATFLIR in a simple SQ 7600 interception scenario. 

1: I came close to the aircraft that I was rejoining for the intercept and wanted to get the pod on him for VID. 

As I was already close, I punched ACM modes and lock him up using WACQ. 

Now, I had the ATK rdr SOI on right ddi, and the flir on left ddi so how can I make the flir SOI? If I SCS left, the ACM goes back in WACQ search... I get the logic, it makes sense but then, going out of ACM needs undesignate and that sends the pod to Rome....Is there any way I can stay with the pod still looking where it was? 

Second strange thing:

I just bring the pod on left ddi, rdr on right, make the flir SOI and all that without engaging A/A mode. 

I lock (auto trk) the rogue plane with the flir. All fine altough the pod is not in it's A/A logic but on the HSI (on ampcd), I cant change the Waypoints anymore and also cant get the position of the selected TCN, it disapears from my screen. 

I

all comes back normal if I undesignate the flir lock... Is it normal behaviour or should pod lock and info not mess with my HSI symbology? 

BR

You don't need to go ACM if you're joining up for an VID. Within 8nm or so, switch priority to FLIR and PTRK the bogey while still maintaining the radar lock (TWS is fine) I find it very helpful in this kind of scenario, especially with HMD on. Should you loose your radar lock for whatever reason, the FLIR will stay on, even when banking and putting the target in the blind spot or you had to re-position above and even in front of the bogey, the FLIR should re-acquire easily. 

If you do go ACM you can still change sensor priority by pushing TDC button on FLIR DDI.  

If you just want to work with FLIR, reset the radar and stay on FLIR DDI. When you box VVSL, with or without the reticle, just point the VV on HUD and PTRK. That's the way I do it... currently:wink:

Edited by Gripes323

I haven't tested if it works properly in game but you should be able to press the boxed ACM pushbutton (PB6, RDR/ATTK format if I recall) to exit ACM but stay in STT. But yes the logic of staying in the ACM condition after acquiring a target into STT from an ACM mode of acquisition (e.g. WACQ) is correct.

An alternate method if you don't want tk exit ACM would be to merely box L+S slave via pushbutton on the FLIR (or Az/El) format. Of course this isn't as good as an Autotrack but since you're in STT on the L&S it should be pretty good.

For scenario 2, the FLIR is in A/G mode while in NAV or AG master mode. What's happening it sounds like is you actually designated the aircraft as a ground target designation. The changes on the HSI are due to the target being designated/steered to. To employ the FLIR in air to air you need to be in A/A master mode.

Edited by Jak525
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, you are confirming what I was thinking about this. 

The weather was crap (intentionally) and I had lost my target in IMC but I knew he was close that's why I went WACQ out of simplicity. Hence the use of ACM and the surprise not to be able to SOI the Flir.... Usually I lock him up in TWS or LTWS and then can SCS to the ATFLIR. 

As for the second part, yes, I think not being in A/A was creating an auto track like a ground movibg target and on the HSI, the MC was giving me the symbology like if I was Navigating towards a ground designated point. That's why I could not select WP, didnt had the symbology of the TACAN and steering line was moving based on the designated point iso the TAC... 

And that's why Undesignate cleared the issue

So, to really use the ATFLIR for A/A work, better be in A/A as in NAV, the logic of the pod is the same as A/G

Thanks guys... 

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

2 hours ago, VIXEN413 said:

So, to really use the ATFLIR for A/A work, better be in A/A as in NAV, the logic of the pod is the same as A/G

Correct. The FLIR is only in air to air mode when you're in A/A master mode.