HP Reverb G2 Support: Trust me on this one.

Sr.

I don't know if you have had the pleasure of trying to obtain HP support... but I would highly recommend NOT using the contact info (if you can even find it) from the HP "support" site.

Long story short, I was eventually helped by a guy named Scott, who gave me the magic pass phrase need to avoid the never ending run around you will encounter using their automated assistant. 

You want to call 1800-334-5144.  Say "z series running windows" at the prompt.

I can't tell you the actual ear rape I experienced with the first number I tried... I think I was routed to a "support" agent in the Philippines (going by the accent). Several seconds into the call, her rooster began crowing repeatedly. I couldn't get a word in over the crowing so I gave up and remembered I had gotten help from Scott earlier this year back with the audio firmware update.

Scott may very well be the only competent person working for HP support.   🙂

Edit: For the record, it appears my G2 cable has developed a short just behind where the connector enters the headset. Apparently due to to the hinging action from removing and replacing the headset for wearing. I would recommend placing some additional slack in the forward portion of you cable where it attaches to the frame of your headset strap.

Edited by Sr.
  • Like 3

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

I don't know if you have had the pleasure of trying to obtain HP support... but I would highly recommend NOT using the contact info (if you can even find it) from the HP "support" site.

Long story short, I was eventually helped by a guy named Scott, who gave me the magic pass phrase need to avoid the never ending run around you will encounter using their automated assistant. 

I can't tell you the actual ear rape I experienced with the first number I tried... I think I was routed to a "support" agent in the Philippines (going by the accent). Several seconds into the call, her rooster began crowing repeatedly. I couldn't get a word in over the crowing so I gave up and remembered I had gotten help from Scott earlier this year back with the audio firmware update.

Scott may very well be the only competent person working for HP support.   

Edit: For the record, it appears my G2 cable has developed a short just behind where the connector enters the headset. Apparently due to to the hinging action from removing and replacing the headset for wearing. I would recommend placing some additional slack in the forward portion of you cable where it attaches to the frame of your headset strap.
I had the exact same issue re the cable. Got a replacement and have taken a slightly different routing option to avoid the flex...
  • Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

I'm getting a replacement cable sent in the mail as well. Achieved through a chat session on their site with little problem. I do have issue with a number of things on this headset though - I do wish the build quality was a bit better.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Just now, unlikely_spider said:

I'm getting a replacement cable sent in the mail as well. Achieved through a chat session on their site with little problem. I do have issue with a number of things on this headset though - I do wish the build quality was a bit better.

I tried the chat but got nowhere. I think primarily because they can't seem to cross reference my S/N. Which also comes back with nothing when I try their check warranty status, the lady on the phone though was able to bang it right out though. I don't think their systems talk to each other.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

9 minutes ago, zildac said:
53 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Scott may very well be the only competent person working for HP support.   emoji846.png

I had the exact same issue re the cable. Got a replacement and have taken a slightly different routing option to avoid the flex...

good point about adding a little slack!

@OP  - thanks for the post and  insight

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

8 minutes ago, zildac said:
51 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Scott may very well be the only competent person working for HP support.   emoji846.png

This is mine currently. Will be doing something similar with the replacement, minus the front piece of velcroe tape.

Really just needs more of a small service loop from the attachment at the rear to prevent the hinge point being just behind the connector. (bad design)

fix.jpg

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

1 minute ago, Sr. said:

I tried the chat but got nowhere. I think primarily because they can't seem to cross reference my S/N. Which also comes back with nothing when I try their check warranty status, the lady on the phone though was able to bang it right out though. I don't think their systems talk to each other.

Oh, yes. I had to Google where to find the S/N. It was inside the headset on the left side, not the one on the tag on the cable. I couldn't enter a chat until I had entered the correct one.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

13 minutes ago, zildac said:
57 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Did they send you the same email ever 15 minutes to let you know they were looking for parts availability? 😆

Capture.JPG

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

27 minutes ago, Eugel said:

@Sr. Oh my god, that cable looks terrifying. Was that originally so ? Or did HP change it ?

Mine is attached like this: 
G2.JPG

Ever have a short in a cable and if you can find just the right spot you can eliminate the short? Well, for now THIS is that position.

No, that is not how the cable was originally installed.

Mine was installed like yours obviously. I would highly recommend you introduce a little slack in yours though.

Between these points.

I think in the future, I will simply avoid lifting the rear head support upward to remove and emplace the headset. Even with the amount of loop I have in it right now, it is still clearly hinging/binding the cable at that point.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

One of the speakers blew on mine, and I was already dreading dealing with HP support after all the negative stories I had read.

Did the web chat. Ticket created in about 15 minutes. Had a new seat of speakers on my headset within a week, no charge. Really positive experience overall.

34 minutes ago, Sr. said:

No, that is not how the cable was originally installed.

Mine was installed like yours obviously. I would highly recommend you introduce a little slack in yours though.

Oh ok, I thought that maybe earlier batches of the G2 had different connectors (as it seemed to me from your picture) that caused a problem and was changed since then. 

Seriously HP... message received.

Hello ,

Recently a service event was opened for one of your HP devices. We are currently looking for inventory, on the part required to resolve your issue. As soon as we allocate the material(s) to your order, we will ship it. You will receive an update every three days or as soon as we have additional update.

HP.PNG

--Arthur C Clark

Valuable information ! Thank you and I’m gonna check mine out for sure. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

• 4 weeks later...

Just under a month. Got my new cable today :clap_2:

--Arthur C Clark

Cables have always arrived fairly quickly for me, within 2 or 3 days. My replacement headset took about 2 months. But after 4 cables and 2 headsets I've finally given up on my G2 and asked for a refund. To be fair to HP, everyone I've spoken to on the phone has always been very personable and helpful and they even offered me a refund even though my headset is out of warranty, due to the number of issues I've had and the time I've had to wait for replacements.

It's frustrating because when it works I really like the G2 and it's clarity. I've tried routing my cables all different ways, as suggested here and elsewhere but for some reason I've had no luck, I always get failures. Maybe the design is prone to fail or I've just been unusually unlucky. Either way, I'm going to revert back to my Quest 2 while I decide what to do next. I might buy a different brand headset, wait a while for something new, or buy a new G2 and start again with a new warranty and see if I have better luck.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

Cables have always arrived fairly quickly for me, within 2 or 3 days. My replacement headset took about 2 months. But after 4 cables and 2 headsets I've finally given up on my G2 and asked for a refund. To be fair to HP, everyone I've spoken to on the phone has always been very personable and helpful and they even offered me a refund even though my headset is out of warranty, due to the number of issues I've had and the time I've had to wait for replacements.

It's frustrating because when it works I really like the G2 and it's clarity. I've tried routing my cables all different ways, as suggested here and elsewhere but for some reason I've had no luck, I always get failures. Maybe the design is prone to fail or I've just been unusually unlucky. Either way, I'm going to revert back to my Quest 2 while I decide what to do next. I might buy a different brand headset, wait a while for something new, or buy a new G2 and start again with a new warranty and see if I have better luck.

Definitely a poor design. At least where the cable port plugs in to the headset.

Just the action of unhinging the head "strap" causes a 90-90+ degree bend in the cable at that point. Done several times a day over the course of several weeks, few cables could stand that kind of bend radius and fatigue.

Just now, Sr. said:

Definitely a poor design. At least where the cable port plugs in to the headset.

Just the action of unhinging the head "strap" causes a 90-90+ degree bend in the cable at that point. Done several times a day over the course of several weeks, few cables could stand that kind of bend radius and fatigue.

Honestly, I'm surprised there hasn't been a recall.

--Arthur C Clark

I've been very mindful of how much/bend play I do with the cable.  indeed, a very poor design. 

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Current implementation. I have the rear end of the cable firmly attached to the back part of the frame using thin velcro tape. Add a slight counter clockwise twist and the loop stays vertical and off my head.

Capture.PNG

--Arthur C Clark

I've found Gaffer's Tape to be great for cable control, and it's intended for being removable when you don't want it. 

I actually replaced the back clip on my G1 with a gaffer's tape-down because the clip was digging into the cable. 

• 1 year later...

Update...I am no longer relying on this "loop", I simply do not fold it open when removing or putting on the headset.

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

Update...I am no longer relying on this "loop", I simply do not fold it open when removing or putting on the headset.

Yup same here I quit folding it many many moons ago. I added this wonderful cable protection because of the tacky feeling the G2 cable is and it works like a charm. Only added about 4 ft. So the cable slides on my shoulders. I pull my G2 forward and up when removing it.

image.jpg

Edited by Burt
  • Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I did the same thing but like 8 months ago. I tried a zip tie first but I didnt care for the scratches. My next VR set will NOT be an HP; Ive went through a G1, 2 G2's, and 3 cables between the last 2. All in honesty though, finding that VR isnt really worth the aggravation, so when this headset dies Im headed back to TIR.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Just now, Hammer1-1 said:

I did the same thing but like 8 months ago. I tried a zip tie first but I didnt care for the scratches. My next VR set will NOT be an HP; Ive went through a G1, 2 G2's, and 3 cables between the last 2. All in honesty though, finding that VR isnt really worth the aggravation, so when this headset dies Im headed back to TIR.

Right there with ya.

--Arthur C Clark