Jump to content

HP Reverb G2 Support: Trust me on this one.


Sr.
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I don't know if you have had the pleasure of trying to obtain HP support... but I would highly recommend NOT using the contact info (if you can even find it) from the HP "support" site.

 

 

 

Long story short, I was eventually helped by a guy named Scott, who gave me the magic pass phrase need to avoid the never ending run around you will encounter using their automated assistant. 

 

You want to call 1800-334-5144.  Say "z series running windows" at the prompt.

 

 

I can't tell you the actual ear rape I experienced with the first number I tried... I think I was routed to a "support" agent in the Philippines (going by the accent). Several seconds into the call, her rooster began crowing repeatedly. I couldn't get a word in over the crowing so I gave up and remembered I had gotten help from Scott earlier this year back with the audio firmware update.

 

Scott may very well be the only competent person working for HP support.   🙂

 

 

 

 

Edit: For the record, it appears my G2 cable has developed a short just behind where the connector enters the headset. Apparently due to to the hinging action from removing and replacing the headset for wearing. I would recommend placing some additional slack in the forward portion of you cable where it attaches to the frame of your headset strap.


Edited by Sr.
  • Like 2

Ryzen R5 5600X | 64GB DDR4 3600| ASRock Radeon RX 6900 XT  | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | Logitech X-56 throttle/VKB NXT Premium

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know if you have had the pleasure of trying to obtain HP support... but I would highly recommend NOT using the contact info (if you can even find it) from the HP "support" site.
 
 
 
Long story short, I was eventually helped by a guy named Scott, who gave me the magic pass phrase need to avoid the never ending run around you will encounter using their automated assistant. 
 
You want to call 1800-334-5144.  Say "z series running windows" at the prompt.
 
 
I can't tell you the actual ear rape I experienced with the first number I tried... I think I was routed to a "support" agent in the Philippines (going by the accent). Several seconds into the call, her rooster began crowing repeatedly. I couldn't get a word in over the crowing so I gave up and remembered I had gotten help from Scott earlier this year back with the audio firmware update.
 
Scott may very well be the only competent person working for HP support.   
 
 
 
 
Edit: For the record, it appears my G2 cable has developed a short just behind where the connector enters the headset. Apparently due to to the hinging action from removing and replacing the headset for wearing. I would recommend placing some additional slack in the forward portion of you cable where it attaches to the frame of your headset strap.
I had the exact same issue re the cable. Got a replacement and have taken a slightly different routing option to avoid the flex...
  • Like 1

10900K O/C 5.2GHz | Maximus Hero XII | EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Reverb G2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm getting a replacement cable sent in the mail as well. Achieved through a chat session on their site with little problem. I do have issue with a number of things on this headset though - I do wish the build quality was a bit better.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, unlikely_spider said:

I'm getting a replacement cable sent in the mail as well. Achieved through a chat session on their site with little problem. I do have issue with a number of things on this headset though - I do wish the build quality was a bit better.

I tried the chat but got nowhere. I think primarily because they can't seem to cross reference my S/N. Which also comes back with nothing when I try their check warranty status, the lady on the phone though was able to bang it right out though. I don't think their systems talk to each other.

Ryzen R5 5600X | 64GB DDR4 3600| ASRock Radeon RX 6900 XT  | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | Logitech X-56 throttle/VKB NXT Premium

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, zildac said:
53 minutes ago, Sr. said:
I don't know if you have had the pleasure of trying to obtain HP support... but I would highly recommend NOT using the contact info (if you can even find it) from the HP "support" site.
 
 
 
Long story short, I was eventually helped by a guy named Scott, who gave me the magic pass phrase need to avoid the never ending run around you will encounter using their automated assistant. 
 
You want to call 1800-334-5144.  Say "z series running windows" at the prompt.
 
 
I can't tell you the actual ear rape I experienced with the first number I tried... I think I was routed to a "support" agent in the Philippines (going by the accent). Several seconds into the call, her rooster began crowing repeatedly. I couldn't get a word in over the crowing so I gave up and remembered I had gotten help from Scott earlier this year back with the audio firmware update.
 
Scott may very well be the only competent person working for HP support.   emoji846.png
 
 
 
 
Edit: For the record, it appears my G2 cable has developed a short just behind where the connector enters the headset. Apparently due to to the hinging action from removing and replacing the headset for wearing. I would recommend placing some additional slack in the forward portion of you cable where it attaches to the frame of your headset strap.

I had the exact same issue re the cable. Got a replacement and have taken a slightly different routing option to avoid the flex...

good point about adding a little slack!

 

@OP  - thanks for the post and  insight

  • Like 1

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, RTX3090FE, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 1x 1TB Samsung NVMe, 2TB Samsung SSD, Win 10 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, JetSeat KW-908, Reverb G2, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case, EVGA 850 P2 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2 , K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, zildac said:
51 minutes ago, Sr. said:
I don't know if you have had the pleasure of trying to obtain HP support... but I would highly recommend NOT using the contact info (if you can even find it) from the HP "support" site.
 
 
 
Long story short, I was eventually helped by a guy named Scott, who gave me the magic pass phrase need to avoid the never ending run around you will encounter using their automated assistant. 
 
You want to call 1800-334-5144.  Say "z series running windows" at the prompt.
 
 
I can't tell you the actual ear rape I experienced with the first number I tried... I think I was routed to a "support" agent in the Philippines (going by the accent). Several seconds into the call, her rooster began crowing repeatedly. I couldn't get a word in over the crowing so I gave up and remembered I had gotten help from Scott earlier this year back with the audio firmware update.
 
Scott may very well be the only competent person working for HP support.   emoji846.png
 
 
 
 
Edit: For the record, it appears my G2 cable has developed a short just behind where the connector enters the headset. Apparently due to to the hinging action from removing and replacing the headset for wearing. I would recommend placing some additional slack in the forward portion of you cable where it attaches to the frame of your headset strap.

I had the exact same issue re the cable. Got a replacement and have taken a slightly different routing option to avoid the flex...

This is mine currently. Will be doing something similar with the replacement, minus the front piece of velcroe tape.

Really just needs more of a small service loop from the attachment at the rear to prevent the hinge point being just behind the connector. (bad design)

 

fix.jpg

  • Like 1

Ryzen R5 5600X | 64GB DDR4 3600| ASRock Radeon RX 6900 XT  | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | Logitech X-56 throttle/VKB NXT Premium

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sr. said:

I tried the chat but got nowhere. I think primarily because they can't seem to cross reference my S/N. Which also comes back with nothing when I try their check warranty status, the lady on the phone though was able to bang it right out though. I don't think their systems talk to each other.

Oh, yes. I had to Google where to find the S/N. It was inside the headset on the left side, not the one on the tag on the cable. I couldn't enter a chat until I had entered the correct one.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, zildac said:
57 minutes ago, Sr. said:
I don't know if you have had the pleasure of trying to obtain HP support... but I would highly recommend NOT using the contact info (if you can even find it) from the HP "support" site.
 
 
 
Long story short, I was eventually helped by a guy named Scott, who gave me the magic pass phrase need to avoid the never ending run around you will encounter using their automated assistant. 
 
You want to call 1800-334-5144.  Say "z series running windows" at the prompt.
 
 
I can't tell you the actual ear rape I experienced with the first number I tried... I think I was routed to a "support" agent in the Philippines (going by the accent). Several seconds into the call, her rooster began crowing repeatedly. I couldn't get a word in over the crowing so I gave up and remembered I had gotten help from Scott earlier this year back with the audio firmware update.
 
Scott may very well be the only competent person working for HP support.   emoji846.png
 
 
 
 
Edit: For the record, it appears my G2 cable has developed a short just behind where the connector enters the headset. Apparently due to to the hinging action from removing and replacing the headset for wearing. I would recommend placing some additional slack in the forward portion of you cable where it attaches to the frame of your headset strap.

I had the exact same issue re the cable. Got a replacement and have taken a slightly different routing option to avoid the flex...

Did they send you the same email ever 15 minutes to let you know they were looking for parts availability? 😆

 

 

Capture.JPG


Edited by Sr.

Ryzen R5 5600X | 64GB DDR4 3600| ASRock Radeon RX 6900 XT  | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | Logitech X-56 throttle/VKB NXT Premium

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Eugel said:

@Sr. Oh my god, that cable looks terrifying. Was that originally so ? Or did HP change it ?

Mine is attached like this: 
G2.JPG

Ever have a short in a cable and if you can find just the right spot you can eliminate the short? Well, for now THIS is that position.

 

No, that is not how the cable was originally installed.

 

Mine was installed like yours obviously. I would highly recommend you introduce a little slack in yours though.

 

Between these points.

 

 

 

I think in the future, I will simply avoid lifting the rear head support upward to remove and emplace the headset. Even with the amount of loop I have in it right now, it is still clearly hinging/binding the cable at that point.

 

Capture.PNG


Edited by Sr.

Ryzen R5 5600X | 64GB DDR4 3600| ASRock Radeon RX 6900 XT  | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | Logitech X-56 throttle/VKB NXT Premium

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the speakers blew on mine, and I was already dreading dealing with HP support after all the negative stories I had read.

 

Did the web chat. Ticket created in about 15 minutes. Had a new seat of speakers on my headset within a week, no charge. Really positive experience overall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went this route. Still needs kid gloves though. 8ff58eae85dfe024da9b5bca70a9a815.jpg

10900K O/C 5.2GHz | Maximus Hero XII | EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Reverb G2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Sr. said:

No, that is not how the cable was originally installed.

 

Mine was installed like yours obviously. I would highly recommend you introduce a little slack in yours though.

 

Oh ok, I thought that maybe earlier batches of the G2 had different connectors (as it seemed to me from your picture) that caused a problem and was changed since then. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seriously HP... message received.

 

Quote

Hello ,

Recently a service event was opened for one of your HP devices. We are currently looking for inventory, on the part required to resolve your issue. As soon as we allocate the material(s) to your order, we will ship it. You will receive an update every three days or as soon as we have additional update.

 

HP.PNG

Ryzen R5 5600X | 64GB DDR4 3600| ASRock Radeon RX 6900 XT  | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | Logitech X-56 throttle/VKB NXT Premium

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Valuable information ! Thank you and I’m gonna check mine out for sure. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 4.8-4.9 GHz OC Disabled - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090 NV Driver 471.96 OC Disabled - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - TM Warthog Hotas & TPR Rudder pedals - Monstertech Mounts - TrackerIR w/ProClip -HP G2 - Tacview/Disabled

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base - F16SRGRH Stick - Open Beta 2.7

Start Date April 2020 - Callsign  " M a k o "

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Just under a month. Got my new cable today :clap_2:

Ryzen R5 5600X | 64GB DDR4 3600| ASRock Radeon RX 6900 XT  | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | Logitech X-56 throttle/VKB NXT Premium

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cables have always arrived fairly quickly for me, within 2 or 3 days. My replacement headset took about 2 months. But after 4 cables and 2 headsets I've finally given up on my G2 and asked for a refund. To be fair to HP, everyone I've spoken to on the phone has always been very personable and helpful and they even offered me a refund even though my headset is out of warranty, due to the number of issues I've had and the time I've had to wait for replacements.

 

It's frustrating because when it works I really like the G2 and it's clarity. I've tried routing my cables all different ways, as suggested here and elsewhere but for some reason I've had no luck, I always get failures. Maybe the design is prone to fail or I've just been unusually unlucky. Either way, I'm going to revert back to my Quest 2 while I decide what to do next. I might buy a different brand headset, wait a while for something new, or buy a new G2 and start again with a new warranty and see if I have better luck.

i5-11600K CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, Sapphire AMD Radeon 5700 XT, Oculus Quest 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

Cables have always arrived fairly quickly for me, within 2 or 3 days. My replacement headset took about 2 months. But after 4 cables and 2 headsets I've finally given up on my G2 and asked for a refund. To be fair to HP, everyone I've spoken to on the phone has always been very personable and helpful and they even offered me a refund even though my headset is out of warranty, due to the number of issues I've had and the time I've had to wait for replacements.

 

It's frustrating because when it works I really like the G2 and it's clarity. I've tried routing my cables all different ways, as suggested here and elsewhere but for some reason I've had no luck, I always get failures. Maybe the design is prone to fail or I've just been unusually unlucky. Either way, I'm going to revert back to my Quest 2 while I decide what to do next. I might buy a different brand headset, wait a while for something new, or buy a new G2 and start again with a new warranty and see if I have better luck.

Definitely a poor design. At least where the cable port plugs in to the headset.

 

Just the action of unhinging the head "strap" causes a 90-90+ degree bend in the cable at that point. Done several times a day over the course of several weeks, few cables could stand that kind of bend radius and fatigue.

Just now, Sr. said:

Definitely a poor design. At least where the cable port plugs in to the headset.

 

Just the action of unhinging the head "strap" causes a 90-90+ degree bend in the cable at that point. Done several times a day over the course of several weeks, few cables could stand that kind of bend radius and fatigue.

Honestly, I'm surprised there hasn't been a recall.

 

Ryzen R5 5600X | 64GB DDR4 3600| ASRock Radeon RX 6900 XT  | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | Logitech X-56 throttle/VKB NXT Premium

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been very mindful of how much/bend play I do with the cable.  indeed, a very poor design. 

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, RTX3090FE, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 1x 1TB Samsung NVMe, 2TB Samsung SSD, Win 10 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, JetSeat KW-908, Reverb G2, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case, EVGA 850 P2 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2 , K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Current implementation. I have the rear end of the cable firmly attached to the back part of the frame using thin velcro tape. Add a slight counter clockwise twist and the loop stays vertical and off my head.

 

 

Capture.PNG

Ryzen R5 5600X | 64GB DDR4 3600| ASRock Radeon RX 6900 XT  | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | Logitech X-56 throttle/VKB NXT Premium

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've found Gaffer's Tape to be great for cable control, and it's intended for being removable when you don't want it. 

 

I actually replaced the back clip on my G1 with a gaffer's tape-down because the clip was digging into the cable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...