Can you download an update and install from a 2nd drive?

Bartacomus

I have a 120gb SSD, which barely fits Windows, DCSworld and TrackIR software. 
I usually have somewhere between 2-6gb remaining on the drive.  

In short i cant update my SSD, from lack of space. 

Can I.. download the DCSworld update to my HDD drive, then update the SDD drive from HDD?

Extra credit. 

1.  Can i copy my modules from my SSD to my HDD for "storage" until i want to fly them, and copy them back to my SSD?  (downloaded to HDD, they dont always copy to SDD and work)

2.  Any worthless windows folders or files i can delete?  Bloat?  Any windows programs.. 99.9% of us dont use, or need.. that can go?

I have a 120gb SSD, which barely fits Windows, DCSworld and TrackIR software. 
I usually have somewhere between 2-6gb remaining on the drive.  

In short i cant update my SSD, from lack of space. 

Can I.. download the DCSworld update to my HDD drive, then update the SDD drive from HDD?

Extra credit. 
1.  Can i copy my modules from my SSD to my HDD for "storage" until i want to fly them, and copy them back to my SSD?  (downloaded to HDD, they dont always copy to SDD and work)
2.  Any worthless windows folders or files i can delete?  Bloat?  Any windows programs.. 99.9% of us dont use, or need.. that can go?

Not exactly as you are asking, but yes

Create a folder on your HDD called “_downloads” I believe and then use the windows shell commands mklink to create a link between there and the main install directory of Dcs

I’m not at my computer so I could have the name wrong but it needs to be exactly the same name as the folder DCS creates to download updates to

Then you can do the exact same think for other folders that aren’t required to be accessed while flying. I’ve been doing this with the downloads folder and some maps that I don’t use often.

As far as copying the modules back and forth, you can do that, but it’s probably much easier just to disable them on the module screen in DCS. and then enable them when you want to fly them (assuming it’s not often).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little above my paygrade there.   So, i boot the SSD and upgrade, and it will automatically download to this "symbolic" folder in the HDD, and update from there.  Ill look up some tutorials on the MK command. Thanks.

Thats a good idea for the maps too..  do you find a big difference, when DCS has to access maps cross drives?

Anybody reading this know the current download folder, i cannot find a post about it or locate it manually. (i assume these files get deleted after using?)

• Like 1

Little above my paygrade there.   So, i boot the SSD and upgrade, and it will automatically download to this "symbolic" folder in the HDD, and update from there.  Ill look up some tutorials on the MK command. Thanks.

Thats a good idea for the maps too..  do you find a big difference, when DCS has to access maps cross drives?

Anybody reading this know the current download folder, i cannot find a post about it or locate it manually. (i assume these files get deleted after using?)
There is actually a GUI extension to the shell as well, might be easier than typing. Not at my computer, but you'll find it easily by searching for it.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

The only problem I had with maps, is that they can take a significantly longer time to load up initially. So instead of 20-30 seconds to load up, it could be several minutes, and then another few seconds after you get in your plane to load up textures.

"Not enough disk space in the Install Folder"  looks like no matter what size the download is, the install folder still needs the required space.   

If anyone has some additional ideas, would surely appreciate it.

So even though it’s downloading to another drive, it still needs the room in the original drive for the update to be applied.

If you haven’t already you can check the option to compress the contents of your hard drive. That will save some room.

So even though it’s downloading to another drive, it still needs the room in the original drive for the update to be applied.

If you haven’t already you can check the option to compress the contents of your hard drive. That will save some room.

I guess it needs the space to decompress.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Thats my thinking too.   What a disaster. 

The first update ruined the executable.  So i had to delete my modules manually. 
I finally get to 1.8 gigs shy.  So i delete the rest of my modules. 

When i download the update for the 3rd time  (i pay for data)  it doesnt recognize all the new extra space.  

I ran Repair.. same problem.

I guess i have to start from scratch.    Or 120 gigs will no longer hold DCS_world and Windows.   A straight answer from the Updater would be nice.

My HIND money... just went to paying my IP for data.   *nurd rage ensues*

• Like 1

It's a lost cause. You'd still have to get some more space after a while both for system and DCS. If your budget is tight at least get some cheap second hand HDD. Nobody wants them nowadays.

DCS minimum requirement is still "Free hard disk space: 60 GB" according to the DCS site 🙂

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

For a while the DCS installer had capability to define spare direction for downloads, and it didn't count that against DCS installation drive if it was on another drive (installed on 😄 but downloads to D:).

But it was bugged and deleted data, so feature was quickly removed (on next patch or something).

Using a normal symlinks or hardlinks doesn't matter as installer will check the installed drive capacity to extract data, even if mods/terrain directory is on another drive as it doesn't know it.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.