What are 1LOOK Raid and Situation awareness mode (SAM) from changelog

Sile
Go to solution Solved by Fromthedeep,

Hi,

from the 2.7.1 Changelog under "Added Raid assessment (RAID)"

• Situation awareness mode (SAM)      and
  • One-look RAID

are listed.

I can't find info on what these both do / mean.

I can box 1LOOK RAID but see no change.

I can't find SAM mode.

Can somebody please shed some light on the matter?

Thank you

Sile

Edited by Sile
  • Thanks 2

was wondering too.. SAM is a viper thing, sort of their version of ltws..... maybe they got confused in the notes.... dunno

Edited by VIXEN413

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

2 hours ago, VIXEN413 said:

was wondering too.. SAM is a viper thing, sort of their version of ltws..... maybe they got confused in the notes.... dunno

I was also thinking along these lines. The list of fixes was just too long and I was getting hyped to go and see for myself but I didn't get that far :biggrin:

• Solution

So, this stuff is obviously not perfectly documented, but this is how I believe functions currently. Raid assessment (the details are available online) is using some radar magic to change the actual radar processing and try to break out if there are multiple returns near one of the targets. (Helps break out a formation for example). In contrast, EXP mode doesn't do anything to the radar or the mission computer track files and it simply zooms in on the display. The APG-73 has a few different type of raid modes. 

1.) SCAN RAID: This is available in TWS if you have an L&S designated, and it concentrates on the L&S with a 10nm zoomed in area at 22 degrees of azimuth. If you designate a different L&S, you move the raid area. You can enable it with the SCAN RAID/FOV/HARM button on the throttle.

2.) 1LOOK RAID: This is an automatic function when you're in STT, it's available when boxed, and it looks for targets near the STT track and produces trackfiles for them. 

3.) SAM mode: I unfortunately don't know for sure what this does, the documentation I have doesn't describe its functionality, other than noting that it's an option for RAID assessment in STT. 

Now, so far this is stuff that I'm reasonably certain to be correct. My speculation is that when you press the raid button in STT, you go to the 'STT raid mode', now calling this SAM mode would make sense, since this has a TWS scanning function interleaved with an STT tracking function. I believe that when using this function, you can have an 'STT' track on two different targets at least and you can have multiple L&S designated at the same time(based on the document), but I'm not entirely sure. The functionality of this mode in DCS seems to be fairly finnicky at the moment, when I was testing it sometimes it messed up my radar and I had to reset, so further testing is definitely required.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VIXEN413 said:

It is very much not a viper thing.  The APG-63/70 have SAM modes, and I imagine any derivative of them will as well.  SAM, LTWS and TWS are not at all the same.

10 minutes ago, Fromthedeep said:

3.) SAM mode: I unfortunately don't know for sure what this does, the documentation I have doesn't describe its functionality, other than noting that it's an option for RAID assessment in STT. 

Assuming it's the same 'SAM' as other radars (and it may not be, I'll check later) it is a radar mode which keeps one or two targets under observations at all times while allowing you to continue searching.  It will continue to track them within the radar's gimbals even if they're outside of the search zone.   At the same time, these are weapons quality tracks, so the antenna revisit rate on the SAM tracks will be relatively frequent.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

6 minutes ago, GGTharos said:

Assuming it's the same 'SAM' as other radars (and it may not be, I'll check later) it is a radar mode which keeps one or two targets under observations at all times while allowing you to continue searching.  It will continue to track them within the radar's gimbals even if they're outside of the search zone.   At the same time, these are weapons quality tracks, so the antenna revisit rate on the SAM tracks will be relatively frequent.

I've played around with it a little bit more and the STT RAID does indeed show two L&S targets at the same time. This is in line with the description of the behaviour in the document, so I strongly suspect that this SAM mode is in fact the same thing as STT RAID.

Yes, STT RAID is also called SAM. It doesn't have "two L&S" or anything like that, it just interleaves scanning and tracking portions centered on the STT target - in ED's implementation the STT target is also always the L&S, which isn't necessarily the case in the real jet.

• Thanks 2