VR with NVG: Lens float outside the cockpit

Jenson

Hi everyone, 

I'm playing DCS with Rift S. I found that when NVG is on, there is a lens layer effect, but the depth of the lens glass (in VR) looks very far as if it's floating outside the cockpit. However when I use a single eye (either left or right), the lens layer will be normal - a few inches away from my face. And in a surface monitor (non-VR), the lens glass also looks normal. 

Does anyone else has the same issue or it's just a depth illusion caused by double eyes focusing? 

Any comments will be much appreciated, thanks. 

Edited by Jenson
  • PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

19 hours ago, lefuneste01 said:

Yes, I feel also somthing weird with NVG in VR (plus the size). You try to can change convergence with my mod, it may help you :

Thanks for this, much appreciated. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 3 months later...

Sorry I need to raise this topic again. 

With a 2D screen or any single eye in VR, the NVG works fine. Even if with both eye open in VR, there's no problem most of the time. 

However, when I focus both eye sight on the NVG lense, the problem appears. I conjecture that the randomly-generated lense noise are rendered using the same logical, so the left eye noise could be 100% matched with the right eye noise, which allows the player to find an "illusionary" focus of the NVG lense. It created a illustion that the NVG lense is floating about 3-4 feet away, instead of the actual NVG optical tube length. I hope below picture to demonstrate this issue. 

I never used a real two-eyes NVG but I assume the noise on the both lenses should be different? (because they're random background noise). If my conjecture was correct, I think using two different logical to generate the noise for left/right eyes should be applied and fix this "bug" - i.e. we shouldn't find any focus for left and right eyes.

If you have the same feeling, please kindly add to this post, thanks. 

image.png

Edited by Jenson

Yeah, this is an annoying one.
The problem is that the filter that is used for the NVG effect is exactly the same on both eyes, which creates the depth effect.
If the filter on one of the eyes was simply flipped, it would probably solve the issue.