VR with NVG: Lens float outside the cockpit

Jenson

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone, 

I'm playing DCS with Rift S. I found that when NVG is on, there is a lens layer effect, but the depth of the lens glass (in VR) looks very far as if it's floating outside the cockpit. However when I use a single eye (either left or right), the lens layer will be normal - a few inches away from my face. And in a surface monitor (non-VR), the lens glass also looks normal. 

Does anyone else has the same issue or it's just a depth illusion caused by double eyes focusing? 

Any comments will be much appreciated, thanks. 

Edited by Jenson
  • PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 32G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS, Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest 2 
  • Modules: F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria
  • Flight Hours: 380 (On Steam)

19 hours ago, lefuneste01 said:

Yes, I feel also somthing weird with NVG in VR (plus the size). You try to can change convergence with my mod, it may help you :

Thanks for this, much appreciated. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 32G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Modules: F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 3 months later...

Sorry I need to raise this topic again. 

With a 2D screen or any single eye in VR, the NVG works fine. Even if with both eye open in VR, there's no problem most of the time. 

However, when I focus both eye sight on the NVG lense, the problem appears. I conjecture that the randomly-generated lense noise are rendered using the same logical, so the left eye noise could be 100% matched with the right eye noise, which allows the player to find an "illusionary" focus of the NVG lense. It created a illustion that the NVG lense is floating about 3-4 feet away, instead of the actual NVG optical tube length. I hope below picture to demonstrate this issue. 

I never used a real two-eyes NVG but I assume the noise on the both lenses should be different? (because they're random background noise). If my conjecture was correct, I think using two different logical to generate the noise for left/right eyes should be applied and fix this "bug" - i.e. we shouldn't find any focus for left and right eyes.

If you have the same feeling, please kindly add to this post, thanks. 

image.png

Edited by Jenson