M109 Artillery CA

LTRMcrew

Hi All,

I've recently gotten more into the CA side of DCS with helos and such; but using them more i've come across a meriad of... issues, problems, grudges...

I'll list them with numbers, if you are able please answer as many as possible; it seems the resources for CA are quite lacking. Thanks.

1. M109 Why are there red "target lines" and some are white

2. Sort of related to above but why can I sometimes select a target to remove... and sometimes not...

3. After it seems two volleys from the M109 it doesn't want to fire anymore... I'll add a new target and it won't fire; I see that it's reloading as beside the name on F10 it shows 155mm HE 37...38...39...40; it stops at 40 and doesn't fire; unless it takes more than an hour to reload???

4. When you set a unit to move it goes to the "flag" stops but TASK remains at "on march" and it won't fire

To remedy the above I've tried changing it's "FOrm", switched it's ROE, switched it's STATE...

• Like 1

Being a beta tester, I am assuming that you have probably already watched the video guide pinned to the CA sub-forum page, but in case you haven't, it might be worth a look. Normally in the tanks, the reload counter counts down, not up. It might be easier to help you if you could post a video showing the exact problems you are experiencing.

The above I mentioned is from not fist person use but while doing helo ops and using CA to move units from the F10 map and fire and aim them from F10 only. Pics would definitely help... 1000 words and all.

On 5/25/2021 at 3:33 AM, LTRMcrew said:

1. M109 Why are there red "target lines" and some are white

2. Sort of related to above but why can I sometimes select a target to remove... and sometimes not...

3. After it seems two volleys from the M109 it doesn't want to fire anymore... I'll add a new target and it won't fire; I see that it's reloading as beside the name on F10 it shows 155mm HE 37...38...39...40; it stops at 40 and doesn't fire; unless it takes more than an hour to reload???

4. When you set a unit to move it goes to the "flag" stops but TASK remains at "on march" and it won't fire

To remedy the above I've tried changing it's "FOrm", switched it's ROE, switched it's STATE...

I'm no expert, but here's my experience with that:

1. Target line color depends on target. If you select a unit icon as target, the line is red. If you select open terrain where you suspect a unit, the line is white.

2. I think this is related to 1 - at least sometimes if you select a unit icon as target, it's sometimes impossible to remove the target... no idea why. Sometimes double-clicking helps

3. Beats me, but I experienced the same. Sometimes it helps to jump into the unit and then leave it again, sometimes it doesn't. 40 is the maximum number of rounds for the M109.

4. Same as three.

I think it's safe to say CA is quite unfinished and bugged in it's current state, which is sad as this is a module with a tremendous potential in DCS. Currently I spend most of my time on MP servers in Tactical Commander slots, it's great fun in persistent online wars!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pilot Ike said:

1. Target line color depends on target. If you select a unit icon as target, the line is red. If you select open terrain where you suspect a unit, the line is white.

2. I think this is related to 1 - at least sometimes if you select a unit icon as target, it's sometimes impossible to remove the target... no idea why. Sometimes double-clicking helps

3. Beats me, but I experienced the same. Sometimes it helps to jump into the unit and then leave it again, sometimes it doesn't. 40 is the maximum number of rounds for the M109.

4. Same as three.

I think it's safe to say CA is quite unfinished and bugged in it's current state, which is sad as this is a module with a tremendous potential in DCS. Currently I spend most of my time on MP servers in Tactical Commander slots, it's great fun in persistent online wars!

Yeah so who do you blame, the community for chewing off its arm to spite its hand, or the developers for taking the long way home, with no intention of making it?

On 5/26/2021 at 1:49 AM, Pilot Ike said:

4. Same as three.

Thanks for the reply; I agree it seems... unfinished... like it's still in Beta. Unfortunately I don't think the the uptake and interest is enough to devote more resources to it...

I really enjoy it as well, and can be very useful a lot of times; even more useful if it worked flawlessly!

On 5/26/2021 at 10:26 PM, Callsign112 said:

Yeah so who do you blame, the community for chewing off its arm to spite its hand, or the developers for taking the long way home, with no intention of making it?

I think there are no winners here... like I said above if there was much more interest than there is they might put more resources to it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 3:34 PM, LTRMcrew said:

if there was much more interest than there is they might put more resources to it.

I think there's a vicious cycle here where CA's low priority reduces interest in it, which keeps its priority low, and so on.

There are some low-effort, high-payoff improvements ED can make here I think.

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Xavven said:

I think there's a vicious cycle here where CA's low priority reduces interest in it, which keeps its priority low, and so on.

There are some low-effort, high-payoff improvements ED can make here I think.

100000000000000000% there are.... and this is not isolated to Combined Arms either.

• Like 4

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• 1 month later...

{thread necro}
Found myself here because I was trying to create a SP mission that was to have a battery of M109s "softening up" some entrenched T-55s.  Long story short, couldn't get any of the long tube arty to fire a round (tried the 2S19 and even the M12) some of them remaining in the "closed" position and not even budging an inch.

I substituted M270 MLRS units and they did fire, but again it wasn't consistent (despite all units set to "excellent" skill) with some of the units refusing to fire at all.  Tried swapping the M270s for SMERCH and all of those refused to fire at all.  Think AI arty is a bit broken right now 😞
P.S. this is in OB 2.7.5.10869

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 11:55 AM, Wikkus said:

{thread necro}
Found myself here because I was trying to create a SP mission that was to have a battery of M109s "softening up" some entrenched T-55s.  Long story short, couldn't get any of the long tube arty to fire a round (tried the 2S19 and even the M12) some of them remaining in the "closed" position and not even budging an inch.

I substituted M270 MLRS units and they did fire, but again it wasn't consistent (despite all units set to "excellent" skill) with some of the units refusing to fire at all.  Tried swapping the M270s for SMERCH and all of those refused to fire at all.  Think AI arty is a bit broken right now 😞
P.S. this is in OB 2.7.5.10869

We need a track, please.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• 2 weeks later...