Canopy rain droplets in VR - Droplets look much more realistic during time acceleration

sirrah

Posted (edited)

So, I've always been a bit disappointed about the canopy rain droplets effect in VR.

In VR you do see droplets, but they just kinda stay in the same spot, until they slowly vanish. While in reality, these droplets would build up and eventually roll down the canopy due to gravity. Like I professionally indicated here:

image.png

Today I discovered that this effect actually is (somewhat) present in VR!!!

Try this:

Set time acceleration to for instance 8x and wait a few seconds

You'll see great droplet distortion like this:

image.png

(See how the droplet buildup and light distortion is much more excessive)

Then set time back to normal speed and again wait a few seconds.. The nice distortion fades and you'll go back to single droplets 😞 :

image.png

Looks to me like some sort of bug. As if the droplets fade away (dry up) too early, before they can properly form up.

The rain droplet effect in my first screenshot looks much better (more realistic) than the one at normal speed imho.

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ No war today... the enemy just called in sick ~ GUMMBAH

Already 90 views, yet nobody's as impressed as I was when I discovered this??? How am I the only one being amazed by this? 😝

The canopy rain effect looks really great in VR when you speed up time (CTRL-Z). You should try.

(oh, fwiw, only tested in the Hornet so far, but I assume it'll work on all modules)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

16 minutes ago, Dave317 said:

I'm away at the minute but will have a check when I get back.  Hopefully you've made a breakthrough and it can be fixed for vr. 

Yes please, check out if you see what I mean.

Don't expect a "dynamic raindrops rolling down the canopy" kind of breakthrough, but the rain distortion effect seems much MUCH better with time acceleration on.

System specs:

Posted (edited)

So every droplet has fixed real clock vanish time, but game time generates more droplets separately.

This leads that at faster speed more droplets gets generated but as each vanish with a real clock timer, they start to vanish much later....

So the droplets were likely timed by the real clock timer instead game realtime. This so it doesn't stress the game own realtime simulation calculations because checking droplets lifetime in simulations realtime would cause severe CPU use to make sure that droplet is gone at correct time.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

2 hours ago, Fri13 said:

So the droplets were likely timed by the real clock timer instead game realtime. 

Yes indeed, this appears to be the case.

Although I understand the current droplet "timer setting" might have to do with performance optimization, I'd still very much like to try and alter that "timer".

I've been looking through various lua files with hopes to find anything in there, but no luck so far. Would you have any idea if this could be altered somewhere @Fri13? (I'm kind of a layman when it comes to lua editing)

System specs:

19 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Although I understand the current droplet "timer setting" might have to do with performance optimization, I'd still very much like to try and alter that "timer".

I've been looking through various lua files with hopes to find anything in there, but no luck so far. Would you have any idea if this could be altered somewhere @Fri13? (I'm kind of a layman when it comes to lua editing)

I have no idea. Someone in the modding forum might know firsthand where to look. But it shouldn't be task for ED to make proper adjustments to increase the droplets lifetime. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

36 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

But it shouldn't be task for ED to make proper adjustments to increase the droplets lifetime. 

You mean it should be, right?

I'll try the mod forum, good idea

System specs:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mustang said:

Guys please give the attached droplets.fx a try (insert at DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders\enlight folder)

Great! Thanks Mustang!

I actually cranked up those numbers even further and the effect is amazing!

droplets.fx

Much more intense then with ED's default values. And although some may judge that I overdid it a little bit, well, maybe here in Holland we just have fatter rain 😛 

It seems though, that somehow the droplets effect is very dependent on aircraft type.

I quickly tested the above droplets.fx settings on latest OB, in several airframes, with preset weather to overcast with rain 2:

• F/A-18C - Fantastic visuals! (rain looks best on the front windshield, maybe slightly exaggerated on the canopy, but still much better than default imho)
  • A-10C II - Droplets probably slightly to big
  • F-16C - Droplets still rather small in this one
  • AV-8B - Droplets probably slightly to big
  • F-14B - Droplet effect looks great (especially when sitting in the back seat!), although there's a slightly strange "wind" effect.. as if the rain hits the canopy sideways instead of from above (only seeing this in the F-14)
  • UH-1H - Droplet effect looks great
  • Mi-8 - Droplet effect looks great

• I only tested this in VR
  • I didn't notice any performance hit whatsoever
  • I wasn't able to find a MP server with rain, so not sure about IC

I wonder why ED doesn't optimize the droplet effect a bit further. Apparently it's just a matter of fiddling a bit with the numbers in this droplets.fx file, to find the best balance. The default droplets.fx settings from ED, are barely visible in VR. Bit of a missed opportunity if you ask me...

Edited by sirrah
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

System specs:

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2021 at 6:50 AM, Mustang said:

Guys please give the attached droplets.fx a try (insert at DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders\enlight folder)

droplets.fx 14.84 kB · 14 downloads

Im away from my rig right now, but does this fix the dynamic rain drops in VR or just improve the default rain?

Edited by pimp

i9 9900k @5.1GHz h100i |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G2 | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

On 5/28/2021 at 6:50 AM, Mustang said:

droplets.fx 14.84 kB · 15 downloads

What is the difference between using this file versus the original? I'm not seeing a difference visually. I still do not see any dynamic rain drops.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz h100i |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G2 | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Curious how this differs from this MOD?

10900K O/C 5.2GHz | Maximus Hero XII | EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Reverb G2

7 hours ago, pimp said:

What is the difference between using this file versus the original? I'm not seeing a difference visually. I still do not see any dynamic rain drops.

Come again? You don't see a difference between default and my droplets.fx? (or did you try the one from Mustang? With mine the difference is slightly more visible)

Oh and you are using VR, right?

You should try again. In my droplets.fx the droplets are much larger than originally, which makes the distortion effect also much more extreme.

6 hours ago, zildac said:

Curious how this differs from this MOD?

Well... I don't know as I don't use any mods 😛 

This droplets.fx file will probably be overwritten every patch, so it's not really a good solution..

I posted this thread here in the bug section, because imho this is something ED should improve for us. And apparently it's an easy fix for ED too... (if even I can do it 😉

The adjusted droplets.fx that I shared is merely meant for me to indicate/proof to ED that this file needs tweaking for VR users. 

Unfortunately @BIGNEWY or @NineLine didn't read/respond to this thread yet.

System specs:

1 minute ago, sirrah said:

Come again? You don't see a difference between default and my droplets.fx? (or did you try the one from Mustang? With mine the difference is slightly more visible)

You should try again. In my droplets.fx the droplets are much larger than originally, which makes the distortion effect also much more extreme.

This droplets.fx file will probably be overwritten every patch, so it's not really a good solution..

I posted this thread here in the bug section, because imho this is something ED should improve for us. And apparently it's an easy fix for ED too... (if even I can do it 😉

The adjusted droplets.fx that I shared is merely meant for me to indicate/proof to ED that this file needs tweaking for VR users. 

Understood. Well , you could give it a try. It seems to make a huge difference over default and also seems slightly different to yours in terms of look.

10900K O/C 5.2GHz | Maximus Hero XII | EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Reverb G2

I have mentioned it again to the team and bumped the report. I have no ETA sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA MSI RTX 2080Ti VENTUS GP, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3000, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Just now, BIGNEWY said:

I have mentioned it again to the team and bumped the report. I have no ETA sorry.

I understand it has low priority and that's completely fine with me

Thank you for bumping it to the devs though 🙂 

• Like 1

System specs:

On 6/4/2021 at 1:17 PM, sirrah said:

I created a Ovgme folder for the droplets.fx so i can enable/disable with a click. So, it won´t be overwritten every update.

Portugal

Col. Bruno "Fonzie" F. (on DCS)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"About carrier ops: The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.5ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO x56 | SSD´s | Valve Index.