When to expect another Free to Play period?

Ryann

Hello,

I'd like to evaluate a module before buying, so my question is, is there a period to be guessed when could another Free to Play event happen?

Side question: How far is F/A-18 in regard in-game tutorials and official manual completion and how many systems are covered (ie. 90% more/less?). Is there a "built-in" campaign just like A-10C Warthog had or are all campaigns just paid DLCs?

Thanks.

CPU: i7-10700 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super 8GB | STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB | DISPLAY: LG 43UN7100 43" | STICK: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

Hi.

Unless another pandemic araises, there should only be Free to try/play/fly near Christmas or so.

The F/A-18 is, I think, close to completition, some systems/weapons to add, improve, bug fix etc but I feel it is close to leave Early Acces. Can't tell a percentage, but on it you can do all kind of stuff: A/A, A/G with radar and TGP, lots of weapons (some of them quite cool to use), naval ops,, AAR (chalenging and rewarding)... So if in doubt, go for it.

About the campaign, there is one "built in" with the module, but I never ever had a look at it (before that very post).

Saludos.

Saca111

Edited by Sacarino111
  • Like 1

They just released a bunch of updates to the F18 as part of the latest Beta patch (2.71 I believe). If I read this correctly this was the last update before the F18 comes out of early access. As far as tutorials, the F18 has the most of any aircraft. It seems to be the most popular because it can do almost anything (AA and AG) and carrier ops are really fun (and intense), especially with the super carrier. When it comes to jets I only own the F18 and though under powered at times I am glad I chose to purchase this one (I also own the P51D).  

As a side note you can purchase an FC3 airframe for around $15. If you don't have much experience or don't want to spend days learning weapon systems they can be a great option. Then if you really like the game you can move up to a full fidelity module during the next sale.  

Edited by AMZ1999
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. I already own F-16 and I have spent around 100 hours in it. While I enjoy it (F-16 is my favorite aircraft), I'm looking for something more complete I could learn from A to Z while waiting for ED to focus and complete F-16. From the current module list I lean to the F/A-18 the most.

CPU: i7-10700 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super 8GB | STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB | DISPLAY: LG 43UN7100 43" | STICK: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

On-topic: yes I would like to have a free trial in June, too, cause the Turkeys looks very sweet, especially with R2D2. But, no more outbreak, please.

Off-topic: As my first module is F/A-18C, I would say this plane is a jack-of-all-trades. It basically can everything the Viper can do, which one is better at each function is up to debate nonetheless, plus it has carrier ops. For learning, there are tons of materials out there but I am told reading both the official manual and Chuck's Guide is must. Not to mention hours and hours and practices.

Edited by VFGiPJP

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

On 5/25/2021 at 8:45 AM, Ryann said:

Thanks guys. I already own F-16 and I have spent around 100 hours in it. While I enjoy it (F-16 is my favorite aircraft), I'm looking for something more complete I could learn from A to Z while waiting for ED to focus and complete F-16. From the current module list I lean to the F/A-18 the most.

I reckon the FA18's your bird then. Plus when you go back to your 16, you'll have a second aircraft that can do carrier operations if you ever need that too!  Just start off small - there's a LOT to learn as there's a lot to do - do it in bite size chunks. 

As for campaigns, it's not free - but it's not expensive either - RAVEN ONE. 

if you want a real cool experience, buy the book too. Play the first mission and then read the book - up to the end of the first mission, and then do the next mission, and rinse and repeat. I did it that way and it was an experience and a half. Getting a better background as to what was going on, seeing how my decisions sat with the decision of the main character in the novel, etc - it really put me "in the novel" in a way I've never experienced before. 

• Like 2