Thrustmaster HOTAS Magnetic Base - worth it?

CybrSlydr

Lol... I'm with you Mower. I finally ended up buying TM Warthog (availabe here in my local shop) not to mention the cost of shipping plus tax to my country which almost half of the price of the joystick. Probably worth it for some of you tho.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

9 hours ago, Oceandar said:

Lol... I'm with you Mower. I finally ended up buying TM Warthog (availabe here in my local shop) not to mention the cost of shipping plus tax to my country which almost half of the price of the joystick. Probably worth it for some of you tho.

Worth it?  Sure.  If you are willing to wait an indeterminate time for fulfillment AND if money is no object.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

4 hours ago, Mower said:

Worth it?  Sure.  If you are willing to wait an indeterminate time for fulfillment AND if money is no object.

A wait yes, but very likely month and a half wait at most for the base only.  Waited almost as long for the mod to fix the slew on the WH throttle.  Not cheap, but well worth the money vs the WH base (and I was quite happy with my WH iniitally coming from a CH fighterstick).  To me the base is a significant enough upgrade from the WH base that it's a "wait if you need to save up" rather than a "if money is no object" purchase.  You're likely going to have to go thru some hoops and spend some extra $ (i.e. on lube that can be quite expensive depending where you are) to get close to the VIrpil base with the WH.

And yes it's always on backorder, but plan that you're not going to get it in 3 days and it really isn't a big deal if you're replacing an old device.  The wait sucks, but it's worth it.

Edited by rob10

it has been taken-apart to reveal/confirm that the new 'magnetic base' is nothing more than the standard base sold seperately as its own SKU.  i was excited for hot second myself that maybe TM was selling an upgrade sensor system, but no luck there.  its not worth it to buy this on its own except maybe for replacement.

• Like 1

I have a Cougar, so I can buy just the base and use the Cougar stick. 

Is this base a worthwhile purchase?
I second what others have written.
Have a Virpil base on my list for my Warthog to use in most modules. But for the Viper and my Cougars, I'm waiting for rel4y's force sensor mod.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

VKB is not an option if you want to keep using Target software. You can re-program a Virpil device ID to match that of a Thrustmaster device and then keep using all your Target profiles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I don't use any software really, I mostly fly the F16 since I have a Cougar.  

I do have the Hornet module, though I've not used it in a long time.

Haven't played DCS for over a year actually.  Lol. But I want to, hence asking about the bases.

Then it doesn't matter, for what i read, they are on par. Maybe Virpil at bit behind VKB in quality control. Some stuff seems to get through which needs replacement after arrival.

Not here, had no issues with a Virpil base.

But you can't use a Virpil or VKB base and hook the Cougar throttle op to that. You need a converter to USB (info is somewhere here on the forum).

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

For the Cougar throttle you can get the TUSBA (USB adapter) from RealSimulator. But I highly recommend rel4y's Cougar kit, where you convert it with magnetic sensor for the throttle axis and to standalone USB. Conversion kits for the ANT and RNG axis will be available too. Shift registers are also available to add extra buttons.
Also a force sensor mod for the stick. Both Cougar and Warthog, are in the works.
Cheers!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/188571-tm-cougar-ch-magnetoresistive-hall-sensor-kits/&share_tid=188571&share_fid=74365&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1