pre-purchase kickoff in may?

oscar19681

1 hour ago, oscar19681 said:

According to a DCS newsletter, which stated that the apache module would be available for pre-purchase in may.

you are twisting reality ... what the newsletter actually stated was:

"We look forward to giving you an exact date when pre-orders will begin. We expect it to be in the first week of May 2021."

what I read here is that they "expected" to give an exact date for the pre-orders in May ...  nowhere its said that the pre-purchase would start in May.

this is why ED should refrain from providing any date at all, as people will always understand whatever they want instead. 🙄

• Like 6

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The original poster wasn't wrong in what he said. The problem is that the pronoun "It" could be in reference to the date of pre-orders or how you interpreted it to be when they will give an exact date. From my perspective, the interpretation that pre-orders would be in the first week of may makes more sense as they are talking about the date that pre-orders would begin and they then threw out a rough estimation of when (this can also be taken in the opposite direction, and that "it" makes more sense referring to the time when they will give an exact date). The original poster wasn't wrong in what he said, the problem is more that the sentence in question is unclear as to what "it" specifically refers to. I simply write this as I don't believe there is a need in this case to state that the original poster was twisting reality and that he only understood what he wanted to believe.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Usually pre-orders preceed the Early Access by just a few months. Example, the Hind MI-24 was offered for pre-order in March, and now that Wags has started his familiarisation training videos, it's likely that EA  Hind is comming in maybe two months, possibly less.

Considering that the HIND is fairly simple compared to a Longbow Apache... I think it's going to be a while before we see an EA of this, and a pre-order just months earlier. Yes, I realize it seems to be developed in parallel teams, but I'd be surprised if Apache is offered EA by the end of this year 2021. Could happen I guess, but I think it's more likely 2022!

• Like 2

It does not matter what you interpret, they said they expected it to be in first week of May, whether it was announcing the exact date or the pre-order itself. Which means something can and obviously has changed. Then there is usually two kinds of people; the ones that wait for some information or an annoucement and the ones that create threads like this. It's not necessarily wrong to ask but a little patience would probably be good.

Edited by MrDieing
  • Like 5

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

4 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

"We look forward to giving you an exact date when pre-orders will begin. We expect it to be in the first week of May 2021."

what I read here is that they "expected" to give an exact date for the pre-orders in May ...  nowhere its said that the pre-purchase would start in May.

this is why ED should refrain from providing any date at all, as people will always understand whatever they want instead. 🙄

Fair enough. But you failed to mention they called it an expectation, this effectivly suggest that there would be a good probilaty of pre-sale in may. But there is big difference between "the first week of may" and completly missing the estimated release expectations. Besides, We are talking pre-order and not delaying a major update or new content. At the very least they could have mentioned the fact that some complication occured which has delayed the expected first week, or may alltogether.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

5 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Which newsletter? This one says: "the AH-64D pre-order is planned for the beginning of May 2021."

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/newsletters/newsletter26022021-wn2u0hnzrkw3qz1gapkq7sohu17kqxw8.html

That said anyone who takes ED dates literally has not been here very long. I automatically double or triple the timeframes they give and have yet to be proven wrong.

Edited by Jester2138

6 hours ago, Jester2138 said:

Which newsletter? This one says: "the AH-64D pre-order is planned for the beginning of May 2021."

This one: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/2021-02-26/

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

28 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Other is newsletter, yours is development report.

Those are posted on same day, 26th February 2021.

Weekly Newsletter:

"The AH-64D is a particularly complex aircraft, but the team is making rapid progress. We would like to kindly inform you that the AH-64D pre-order is planned for the beginning of May 2021."

Development report:

"Here are some of the features that we are currently working on for Early Access. We look forward to giving you an exact date when pre-orders will begin. We expect it to be in the first week of May 2021."

Don't be so rude by calling other twisting the reality.... And claim that what a newsletter was saying was not that OP quoted, when you quoted the development report and not newsletter.

Fact is, both are talking about May. Other is more estimating but other is very clear about it. Neither one is not giving exact date as talks are about plans. And plans can change.

So give a little more respect.

It is better that ED does give estimations and updates them. First in years and quarters, and then in months and even weeks. And when time gets closer then in specific day.

It is not wise to withdraw the information of the release schedules etc. Keep your customers informed.

And that means that you keep updating your information.

PR work is that. If you make a mistake, you release new announcement ASAP to correct the information.

If you get lots of discussions with wrong information, you announce it to everywhere at once instead just one forum thread.

It seems that those two posts were written by different people, from same information.

(Don't worry, IRC that you blacklisted me because you didn't like being corrected, but that is just what I said to you that when you do ignore others then you don't get correct information as such people live in a bubble thinking that they are correct when they don't hear or see what happens outside of that bubble.)

Edited by Fri13
  • Like 4

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Look at it this way, would you rather:

A:  ED take your money first week of May even though they know they have encountered a small set back.

or

B:  ED be responsible and delay the pre-purchase until said set back is resolved.

I think B is the better choice, be thankful.  🙂

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mower said:

OMG who cares about a pre order date?

+1

It's the actual release day I think about, the day I get what I paid for.

• Like 3

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

35 minutes ago, cthulhu68 said:

I think it has more to do with staggering release dates. Hind will go into early access and then they'll trot out the Apache for pre-purchase.

I think ED plan a little bit further ahead than that.     They planned on pre-purchase early May but didn't quite hit the mark.  All good, it happens.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bart said:

+1

It's the actual release day I think about, the day I get what I paid for.

For me the release day is like a small Christmas eve.... And it is just as nice when it comes as surprise, than it is by knowing the exact day. 

When I do not want to know exact day is when it will be delayed, and even worse if it gets delayed twice. That is the time when I opt not to know it at all and let it be surprise when it comes out... 

Like when the Wags dropped the Mi-24P Introduction video while back, I got goosebumps because I misread it in first second "Mi-24P release trailer" as I was same time happy and sad that I was away from possibility to download it, and I was happy that it was out, only to realize a second later that it was just the first of the videos to start hyping the actual release to come in weeks from now... 

And one reason for the happy feelings is that I have pre-purchased it and I know that when it gets released, I will be even more happy. So it is like a waiting a Christmas present that you wished for....  With 100% certainty that it is a Mi-24P that is coming and not a some ugly Mi-2.... that I didn't want to... (actually I would love to see Mi-2 in DCS...). 

It is better for everyone to have just proper expectations and not to believe that everything is working in a beta and all is in place at early access.

But even those will get disappointed if a module gets out of early access and it is not feature complete at all, after years of development... 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 5/23/2021 at 10:00 PM, Jester2138 said:

That said anyone who takes ED dates literally has not been here very long. I automatically double or triple the timeframes they give and have yet to be proven wrong.

\thread

OP, you've  been around long enough to know that these dates are picked out of a hat at ED happy hours.... 

Edited by skins45
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand the anticipation for a pre-purchase. What do you gain from buying the AH-64 now, or in june, or july? As was pointed out, the interesting date is the release of the module ; whether you paid for it 3 or 6 months prior doesn't really matter and shouldn't be anticipated so much that you actually create a topic for it. As we might see the AH-64 by the end of the year based on its announcement, but also maybe not because delays happen all the time, there is no hurry to pay for it now.

Also, I think ED might focus on releasing the Mi-24, and not stealing its spotlight with a pre-purchase of AH-64. First get the Mi-24 out the door, get people flying in it... then start talking about AH-64 and pre-purchase. It would feel weird to have 2 pre-purchase of attack helicopters going on at the same time, when neither of them is available...

• Like 8

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

1 minute ago, Qiou87 said:

I don't understand the anticipation for a pre-purchase. What do you gain from buying the AH-64 now, or in june, or july? As was pointed out, the interesting date is the release of the module ; whether you paid for it 3 or 6 months prior doesn't really matter and shouldn't be anticipated so much that you actually create a topic for it. As we might see the AH-64 by the end of the year based on its announcement, but also maybe not because delays happen all the time, there is no hurry to pay for it now.

Also, I think ED might focus on releasing the Mi-24, and not stealing its spotlight with a pre-purchase of AH-64. First get the Mi-24 out the door, get people flying in it... then start talking about AH-64 and pre-purchase. It would feel weird to have 2 pre-purchase of attack helicopters going on at the same time, when neither of them is available...

You say you dont understand the anticipation for a pre-order.   That anticipation was created by ED itself thereby causing (possibly false) high hopes. The problem with ED is that it apparently does not understand how to competently manage customer expectations or just does not care.  As a result,  ED sometimes gets a lot of customers and potential customers hopes up that a particular module will be available for pre-order  and when a delay occurs, ED does not mention explain there will be a delay..   It would be better if they just didnt say  anything about such pre-orders until they are ready to take them.  Properly managing customer expectations is something all businesses should know how to do.  The OP was not wrong in his interpretation of the newsletter.  Are we required to read ED's pronouncements with the same meticulous care as an attorney who is reviewing a client's contract?   The newsletter says it was "expected to be in the beginning of  May."   It was reasonable for the OP to assume ED knew what it was talking about and if there was a delay, it would say so.   What would a reasonable person do if they told a family member that they expected to give that family member a highly coveted gift by a certain date and then failed to do so?  That reasonable person would tell the family member by that date that there was going to be a delay and explain why.  Otherwise, the family member would have had his or her hopes falsely elevated thereby causing frustration.  That's just human nature.   

• Like 3

• ED Team

We will be sharing news about the pre-order soon. 

Thanks for your patience. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, MADLOU1 said:

You say you dont understand the anticipation for a pre-order.   That anticipation was created by ED itself thereby causing (possibly false) high hopes. The problem with ED is that it apparently does not understand how to competently manage customer expectations or just does not care.  As a result,  ED sometimes gets a lot of customers and potential customers hopes up that a particular module will be available for pre-order  and when a delay occurs, ED does not mention explain there will be a delay..   It would be better if they just didnt say  anything about such pre-orders until they are ready to take them.  Properly managing customer expectations is something all businesses should know how to do.  The OP was not wrong in his interpretation of the newsletter.  Are we required to read ED's pronouncements with the same meticulous care as an attorney who is reviewing a client's contract?   The newsletter says it was "expected to be in the beginning of  May."   It was reasonable for the OP to assume ED knew what it was talking about and if there was a delay, it would say so.   What would a reasonable person do if they told a family member that they expected to give that family member a highly coveted gift by a certain date and then failed to do so?  That reasonable person would tell the family member by that date that there was going to be a delay and explain why.  Otherwise, the family member would have had his or her hopes falsely elevated thereby causing frustration.  That's just human nature.   

You are right, of course. I guess I am used to ED's communication enough that I don't get my hopes up when they show us new toys (Gimme that Intruder! Gimme that Marianas map! Gimme gimme! 😅), but I also understand that this way of communicating does generate hype and anticipation, sometimes too much.

• Like 2

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

• BIGNEWY changed the title to pre-purchase kickoff in may?