F10 map downed pilot spam

Posted (edited)

Well, if the marks that are added to the map generate an event, a simple Lua script would be able to take care of that. I'll check later today or tomorrow if/when I can find the time

EDIT: when a downed pilot mark is added or updated, no mark event is currently generated, so you can't easily remove them

Edited by cfrag

I was playing SP-US Battalion Day Advance - Maykop.miz from the Combined Arms mission set yesterday. Much to my surprise, I kept seeing downed F-15 pilots. As best as I can tell, there are none in the mission.

Jim

Dell T5500, X5687 CPU @3.6 GHz, 48GB DDR3, Zotac GTX 980, Windows 10 Pro. TMWH throttle & stick. Alienware AW3418DW monitor. TrackIR 5 with UTC MkII Pro clip. VKB Mk. III rudder pedals.

9 minutes ago, Livers said:

I was playing SP-US Battalion Day Advance - Maykop.miz from the Combined Arms mission set yesterday. Much to my surprise, I kept seeing downed F-15 pilots. As best as I can tell, there are none in the mission.

I observed the same in the most recent 2.7 OB. Using only blue A-10A in a mission against S10 it seems that all downed pilots receive the generic callsign "pilot_f15_parachute", and their blue icon in F10 does have an F15-ish shape. To me that indicates that this may be an unfinished feature. TBH I hope that this will be developed further, as it could make adding CSAR tasks to missions much easier.

Ah, you might be right about this as a generic, placeholder feature to be implemented. A good idea I think, as of now it's been a nightmare to find a downed pilot.

Jim

Dell T5500, X5687 CPU @3.6 GHz, 48GB DDR3, Zotac GTX 980, Windows 10 Pro. TMWH throttle & stick. Alienware AW3418DW monitor. TrackIR 5 with UTC MkII Pro clip. VKB Mk. III rudder pedals.

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2021 at 9:01 AM, Livers said:

Ah, you might be right about this as a generic, placeholder feature to be implemented. A good idea I think, as of now it's been a nightmare to find a downed pilot.

Just use the medevac script.  Then you can pinpoint with blue/red smoke.  ED is reinventing the wheel with these downed-pilot-spam F10 icons.

Edited by gortex

17 hours ago, gortex said:

Just use the medevac script.  Then you can pinpoint with blue/red smoke.  ED is reinventing the wheel with these downed-pilot-spam F10 icons.

Sure, and have another mod that breaks with each DCS update and needs maintenance. I'd opt for a builtin feature every time. Just my opinion.

Jim

It is not a mod, it is a script.

If ED wants to make it so downed pilots can be rescued as a default feature, great, but we need to be able to disable the F10 map icons.  After 4 hours on a multiplayer map you can hardly make out units because of the spam.

I stand corrected.

Jim