Please replicate engine audio

Grindle

This YouTube video of the F-16 Demo is by far the best one I've watched and I really wish DCS would try harder to match the authentic sounds from the engine and airflow over the wings, PLEASE!!! 

Awesome video

Edited by Grindle

Engine sounds may or may not be relevant, as different F-16s have different engines. If that video isn't from a Block 50, it may have a totally different engine than our Viper. 

The cockpit sounds can also be a bit weird, as what a camera mounted inside the pit hears can be fairly different than what the pilot hears inside the helmet. Both because the helmet changes what it sounds like, but also because a microphone attached to the airplane can pick up vibrational energy translated directly from the airframe that simply aren't audible to a human at all. That said a few real life pilots have commended on slight sound inaccuracies before, and I expect that tuning of the cockpit sounds is still something that's being worked on. 

• Like 3

• ED Team

Fully agree with Bunny Clark. The sounds from the camera on the airframe that looking at the pilot are very very different than the sounds from the pilot's view.

But in any case, there are a few points to update. I will try to add a little more warm, more low frequencies in the cockpit. And update the airflow sounds. 

Many thanks for your report. I will return later with some test videos with new sounds. please be patient 😉

• Like 3

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

On 5/25/2021 at 5:34 PM, btd said:

@GrindleHi, it is still in work. But please watch this demo video (I've updated the link):

How do you like it? Maybe any suggestions for improvement? Thanks.

Thank you for your work! This sounds more reallistic to a turbofan engine. The current engine sound sounds a bit too digital and flat. your new sound is a lot more dynamic, especially in the high pitch region.

• Like 1

RIG SPECS:

-Win 10 professional

-i5 8600k @5.0GHz

-ASUS Maximus X Code

-Samsung 960 Evo 256GB M2 SSD

-Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M2 SSD

-32GB DDR4 RAM @3000MHz

-Asus Strix 1080 Ti 11G

-LG 34UM68-P Monitor

Notebook:

-Win10

- 2018 ASUS ROG GL703gs-E5011T

(i7-8570H, 16GB DDR4, 256GB M2 SSD,GTX1070 8GB.

On 5/25/2021 at 4:34 PM, btd said:

@GrindleHi, it is still in work. But please watch this demo video (I've updated the link):

How do you like it? Maybe any suggestions for improvement? Thanks.

Sounds awesome. 

Edited by jonsky7
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wish came true, Awesome sounds!

Thank you very much for a fantastic update, I can't wait to see and hear the finished F-16.

Now my next wish is to have a dynamic campaign similar to what Falcon BMS has, that would be money dude! 🙂

Salute!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds way better now, and my friends I fly with agree too... I use hear like in helmet when flying so my sounds are a lower volume. Is hear like wearing helmet using different sounds in the DCS sound engine or is it using same normal sound and tweaking it with certain attenuation before playback or something?

Speaking about airflow sounds- I'd love for the speedbrake and landing gear extension to have realistic and discernible air disturbance sounds. In particular the speedbrake I'd imagine would sound loudest when fully deployed and not when partially extended for example. The F-16 in cockpit speedbrake indicator window only shows if they are extended into any position other than fully closed or if they are fully closed, apparently. So some audio cue indications would help when only "fanning the boards" open and closed or when fully deployed open. Other than counting in my head right now I can't figure out how long to hold the spring loaded speedbrake switch on my throttle. All of this, mind you if only IRL such sounds and distinctions exist.

Also, while on the subject of sounds... I don't know if it is the case particularly for the F-16 but I have heard about it for the F-15 and I'd imagine similar cues when turning the plane although different airframes. The difference in airflow sounds between really loading the plane up in a turn vs not to help as an audible cue when padlocked (eyes locked onto) a bandit in a dogfight to max perform your plane. What I have heard referred to as the sound of "elephants dancing on your wings" (really pulling hard on the stick to max perform the jet) vs "mice dancing on the wings."

Edited by Baz000