[INVESTIGATING] TOO Functionality

lukeXIII

From A1-AV8BB-NFM-000:

23.13 POSITION MARKING

“With H4.0, pressing the TOO pushbutton on the UFC stores the latitude and longitude of the ground point beneath the aircraft in the mark location represented by the MK pushbutton at the bottom of the EHSI/EHSD only if a designation does not exist. If a designation exists, then pressing the TOO pushbutton on the UFC stores the designation as a markpoint.”

“With H4.0, the system also allows the pilot to enter the TOO position into a targetpoint (1 through 4).”

At the moment if a designation exists, using TOO creates a markpoint/targetpoint at the aircraft position instead of the system designation.

On a related note, targetpoints that are created using this method are currently unable to be activated in the JDAM target list.

TOO.trk

• Like 1

that is correct behavior.

the TOO button creates a Targetpoint at the aircraft position and is used to mark targets you did not expect but see while overflying them.

what you are looking for is MK on the EHSD what will create a Markpoint at the current aircraft‘s designation.

To accept a Mark- Way- or Targetpoint as a Target for CAS page and JDAM delivery you need the SDAT page that is not available yet.

That is not correct behaviour for the harrier we have. If you read what I had quoted, TOO functionality has been expanded to store the system designation if it exists.

Target points do not have to be "accepted" through the SDAT page. That page is for transferring external data into the system e.g transferring a target point from the mission card into the system's target point.

Simply put:

Scenario 1 with a Target Designation.

1. You have a DMT contrast locked on MBT 3 nmi ahead of you. That is Target Point 0 by default (T0).

2. You press TOO button in UFC.

3. The ARBS calculated target position is stored as Mark Point 1 (or next available in 1-10) to the system.

You do not need to open EHSD to press MK# at the bottom of the screen (OSB 19) to store the designation. The new Mark Point doesn't become a Target Designation but it is maintained at the MBT ahead of you. 

Scenario 2 without a target designation.

1. You overfly a target/area.

2. You press TOO button in UFC.

3. Your latitude and longitude is read from the INS/GPS, the terrain/target height is measured using radar altimeter (closest return will be used, so tree top or closest hill, a roof of building etc) and deducted from your aircraft altitude (GPS, INS, Barometric etc), and Target Designation (T0) is created (the system does not use DTED for elevation).

4. Your plane Master Mode is automatically switched to A-G mode (if not already), your last used weapon is selected (if selected after Weight-On-Wheels sensor) and the weapon delivery mode (CCIP or AUTO) is selected that was selected with that weapon (if no weapon is selected already).

5. The system starts re-attack guidance for the pilot to the created Target Designation. 

This means that if you are in the NAV mode, your aircraft enters to INS targeting mode. Your right MFCD opens a DMT video (TV) with a EHSD compass rose with the navigation rose if you didn't have a FLIR active in it. On the left MFCD as I understand you should get a STORES page (as your right MFCD is navigating you). 

Simply, the system automatically prepares everything for a proper attack mode so pilot doesn't need to do anything than concentrate for flying and looking out for the target, turn Master Arm On and perform the attack (release weapons). 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

22 hours ago, Wisky said:

i have tried to look for this text in the NFM-000 but i cant find any of that.

Page 23-63

Just as OP quoted the 23.13 POSITION MARKING.

It is about creating Mark Points from any Waypoint, INS, Radar, DMT etc.

So example pilot can fly with DMT/LST, ask JTAC to laze target and shift it after each lock and pressing TOO.

After JTAC has lazed all the targets, pilot has generated all targets as mark points. Now the pilot can simply start attacking each mark point with non-laser guided weapon.

All it takes is to press TOO button -> uncage -> Shift -> SSS Aft -> Lock -> TOO button.

(As the DMT/LST stops scanning but keeps a track of laser until lock is lost. Then it enters to INS mode and you need to return back to LST to get it searching.)

There is currently a incorrect implementation that DMT/LST is constantly scanning, and it returns to scanning after gimbal limit is reached (you turn back toward target area).

Edited by Fri13

22 minutes ago, Wisky said:

ok can now confirm from NATOPS, somehow my 2011 version has stripped everything behind 23-5

but its present in my 2008 version.

I don't know but I have a feeling that there are some variants floating around that has some pages missing and some that has those but something else missing.

Of course if you don't just have a corrupted file that just blanks those pages 😉

• myHelljumper changed the title to [INVESTIGATING] TOO Functionality
  • 1 year later...
  • AlphaJuliet changed the title to [INVESTIGATING] TOO Functionality