Transfer steerpoints from the F10 map into the aircraft - DCS: The Way

Comrade Doge

Hello all! After quite the break in development, The Way got a new much needed update. This includes:

• Added automatic elevation entering from the map
  • Sped up Hornet waypoint input
  • Waypoints no longer get wiped from the GUI after being transferred

Download the latest release from here: https://github.com/aronCiucu/DCSTheWay/releases/tag/v1.1.3

If you are updating from an older version, simply replace your existing TheWay.lua and TheWay.exe files with the new ones.

I hope you will enjoy it! Next up in the pipeline will be Hornet precise coordinates! Stay tuned and thank you for all your support!

Screen_210826_195056.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hello again, I know it's been really soon after the latest update, but here is a new one!
In this version 2 very highly requested things were added:

• A10C and A10C2 support
  • Hornet PRECISE ( there is no need to enable that option manually, it's all done automatically )

I'd appreciate feedback regarding the functionality, especially since I do not own neither the Hornet or the A10, and I developed these functions using the free trials, so any bugs that may be have to be pretty much fixed until they expire... 

I hope you all enjoy it, download the latest version from here: https://github.com/aronCiucu/DCSTheWay/releases/tag/v1.2.0

If you are updating from an older version, simply replace your existing TheWay.lua and TheWay.exe files with the new ones.

Screen_210827_100322.png

• Like 5

@Comrade Doge

Firstly, fantastic, the A10 entered the coordinates so fast I didn't think anything had happened 😀

Precise coordinates in the hornet also working great.

Bug Reports/feedback

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Like I mentioned, having your program automatically press PRECISE button, causes precise mode to be off in some circumstances.
So if you collect some waypoints, enter them into the 18, then add some more waypoints, precise mode is turned off the second time inputs are made.

Say you plan some targets, go and hit them, land and re-arm, plan some more targets, precise mode is then turned off. 
or

Plan targets and enter coordinates, on the way to targets, new tasking is given, enter different targets, precise mode is turned off.

We could turn precise coords off before using the tool every time, Or just turn it on once when starting in a new airframe (I'm thinking multiplayer)
I would prefer just turning it on during start-up procedure.

(this I could myself for me if you could point me in the direction of turning the source code into an exe file please)
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Non F18 related
In version 113 I noticed that the waypoints weren't cleared after "begin transfer to DCS" was pressed
In v120 the waypoints aren't cleared and the "cursor" dot remains on screen, until Discard button is pressed, not sure if that's intentional or not.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The tool doesn't work in Nevada map, as Longitude is West eg W115'21.36
Doesn't work on Marianas Map, Longitude is more than 100deg East, eg E114'54.767

both the 18 and the 16 can accept a first zero eg E054'25.658

Those two maps aren't the popular, just though I'd point it out 

The Channel map has both East and West coordinates on the map. (mainly ww2 map)

Possible to acquire whether East or West during coordinate capture?

Trying really hard not to come across as ungrateful, you did ask for feedback 😜

Thanks again

Edited by jonsky7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jonsky7 said:

@Comrade Doge

Firstly, fantastic, the A10 entered the coordinates so fast I didn't think anything had happened 😀

Precise coordinates in the hornet also working great.

Bug Reports/feedback

Like I mentioned, having your program automatically press PRECISE button, causes precise mode to be off in some circumstances.
So if you collect some waypoints, enter them into the 18, then add some more waypoints, precise mode is turned off the second time inputs are made.

Say you plan some targets, go and hit them, land and re-arm, plan some more targets, precise mode is then turned off. 
or

Plan targets and enter coordinates, on the way to targets, new tasking is given, enter different targets, precise mode is turned off.

We could turn precise coords off before using the tool every time, Or just turn it on once when starting in a new airframe (I'm thinking multiplayer)
I would prefer just turning it on during start-up procedure.

(this I could myself for me if you could point me in the direction of turning the source code into an exe file please)
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Non F18 related
In version 113 I noticed that the waypoints weren't cleared after "begin transfer to DCS" was pressed
In v120 the waypoints aren't cleared and the "cursor" dot remains on screen, until Discard button is pressed, not sure if that's intentional or not.

The tool doesn't work in Nevada map, as Longitude is West eg W115'21.36
Doesn't work on Marianas Map, Longitude is more than 100deg East, eg E114'54.767

Those two maps aren't the popular, just though I'd point it out 

The Channel map has both East and West coordinates on the map. (mainly ww2 map)

both the 18 and the 16 can accept a first zero eg E054'25.658

Possible to acquire whether East or West during coordinate capture?

Trying really hard not to come across as ungrateful, you did ask for feedback 😜

Thanks again

Thank you for all the feedback. 
Next time I will make sure to disable the Precise button pressing, and show a popup on the GUI reminding the User to turn it on themselves.
Waypoints not being cleared after transfer has the logic that if you die, you can respawn in a new plane and enter your existing waypoints again, without needing to select them all... However the dot remaining on screen is not intentional, I did some major code refactoring as well, that must have slipped through...
For the Nevada and Marianas, I plan to fix that as well, it needs more work however, since I have yet to figure out a way on how to get the coordinate system used from the map... 
Hopefully I will have time to do all this before the trials expire, so I can test all of it out. 👍

@Comrade Doge

39 minutes ago, Comrade Doge said:

Waypoints not being cleared after transfer has the logic that if you die, you can respawn in a new plane and enter your existing waypoints again.

That makes sense yeah

39 minutes ago, Comrade Doge said:

For the Nevada and Marianas, I plan to fix that as well, it needs more work however, since I have yet to figure out a way on how to get the coordinate system used from the map... 
Hopefully I will have time to do all this before the trials expire, so I can test all of it out. 👍

Good luck!

Where do these codes come from, I thought I could try help by writing the input files for the M2000C, Ka-50, or Gazelle

button list, all are device 17
           DCS rtn 3032 -1
           DCS dn  3035 -1
           DCS up  3034 1
           rokr up 3031
           rokr dn 3030
           1       3003
           2/N     3004
           3       3005
           4       3006
           5       3007
           6/E     3008
           7       3009
           8       3010
           9       3011
           0       3002
           ENTR    3016

*/

Edited by jonsky7

3 minutes ago, jonsky7 said:

@Comrade Doge

That makes sense yeah

Good luck!

Where do these codes come from, I thought I could try help by writing the input files for the M2000C, Ka-50, or Gazelle

button list, all are device 17
           DCS rtn 3032 -1
           DCS dn  3035 -1
           DCS up  3034 1
           rokr up 3031
           rokr dn 3030
           1       3003
           2/N     3004
           3       3005
           4       3006
           5       3007
           6/E     3008
           7       3009
           8       3010
           9       3011
           0       3002
           ENTR    3016

*/

Oh those... Those are internal DCS codes for all the buttons, so that I can press them super quick and without the user needing a certain keybind... I get those from the DCS-BIOS repo, since I cannot find them for all the planes I don't own... Here is an example lua file containing those for the F-16: https://github.com/dcs-bios/module-f-16c-50/blob/master/F-16C_50.lua

And an example snippet from there would be line 264: 

definePushButton("ICP_AA_MODE_BTN", 17, 3018, 169, "UFC", "ICP Master Mode Button, A-A")

Which shows that the master mode button uses the device 17 (think it as the cockpit "area" or panel the button is on), and the button code is 3018.

I definitely could use knowing the codes for the bindings needed for other planes...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TrichomeCharlie said:

Comrade! 

Thanks so much for the updates. I'm looking forward to reading the thread and trying it out (working right now). I'll be donating. A lot of the tech stuff mentioned is right over my head so thank you again!!

Hey! I appreciate the kind words, let me know if you encounter any issues with it!

Oh those... Those are internal DCS codes for all the buttons, so that I can press them super quick and without the user needing a certain keybind... I get those from the DCS-BIOS repo, since I cannot find them for all the planes I don't own... Here is an example lua file containing those for the F-16: https://github.com/dcs-bios/module-f-16c-50/blob/master/F-16C_50.lua
And an example snippet from there would be line 264: 
definePushButton("ICP_AA_MODE_BTN", 17, 3018, 169, "UFC", "ICP Master Mode Button, A-A")

Which shows that the master mode button uses the device 17 (think it as the cockpit "area" or panel the button is on), and the button code is 3018.
I definitely could use knowing the codes for the bindings needed for other planes...

How do I find these codes you need?
I have almost all the modules. At least all of those that could use this tool.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, jonsky7 said:

@Comrade Doge

I think I might have done the Mirage but you might have to look over it. I'm on my phone and it's difficult to read but here goes nothing 😁

M-2000C.lua 6.61 kB · 2 downloads

Hey! Good work! Unfortunately I will be away from my PC this coming weeks, I will check it out once I will be back...

On 8/29/2021 at 5:42 PM, Comrade Doge said:

Hey! Good work! Unfortunately I will be away from my PC this coming weeks, I will check it out once I will be back...

Here's something for KA50 and Gazelle. Neither has a waypoint increment button unfortunately, the number for the desired waypoint must be pressed.

The Gazelle is even worse, for longitude: 

1. It will NOT accept a zero for the first digit. 
2. It will not accept a 6 digit longitude coordinate on Caucasus/Syria/Persian Gulf 

3. It will not accept a 5 digit coordinate on Marianas/Nevada
It's so weird.

SA342M Gazelle.java

Ka-50.java

Edited by jonsky7

On 8/28/2021 at 10:05 PM, MAXsenna said:

How do I find these codes you need?
I have almost all the modules. At least all of those that could use this tool. emoji4.png

@MAXsenna

Goto
https://github.com/orgs/dcs-bios/repositories

Select the module
Open the link for the .lua file

They're quite well laid out.

Download one of the files I uploaded to use as a template-ish

Figure out the "flow" of entering waypoints in your desired module, replace lines in the "template"

Or just write out the flow and the button codes, I'm sure it'll come in handy 

• Like 1

@MAXsenna

Goto
https://github.com/orgs/dcs-bios/repositories

Select the module
Open the link for the .lua file
They're quite well laid out.

Download one of the files I uploaded to use as a template-ish

Figure out the "flow" of entering waypoints in your desired module, replace lines in the "template"

Or just write out the flow and the button codes, I'm sure it'll come in handy 
Cool! I'll give it a try to tomorrow.
Hopefully I'll learn something in the process!
Cheer!

7 hours ago, Drac said:

Is this Mod now working for the Hornet?

Yes, really well actually. Just make sure precise mode is OFF when transferring waypoints as the tool presses the OSB key, thus turning precise mode on, when doing the coord entry part.

• Like 1

V120, bug using the F16 (haven't tested other modules):

It is amazing the waypoints are kept after transferring them to DCS. However the pink dot remains on the main screen.

The only way to get rid of it is to press discard points. That makes the very good change unfortunately obsolete.

Any chance to get rid of the point?

kind regards

Andre 

46 minutes ago, Weidlich said:

V120, bug using the F16 (haven't tested other modules):

It is amazing the waypoints are kept after transferring them to DCS. However the pink dot remains on the main screen.

The only way to get rid of it is to press discard points. That makes the very good change unfortunately obsolete.

Any chance to get rid of the point?

kind regards

Andre 

Hello, a fix is underway. The bug arose as I did a major code rewrite as well... In the meantime, check if minimizing the window helps

Edited by Comrade Doge