Transfer steerpoints from the F10 map into the aircraft - DCS: The Way

Comrade Doge

Just now, PLUTON said:

just a quick question how do I create the export folder lua please?

To create the Export.lua file inside Saved Games/DCS/Scrips, you simply right click, New, Text Document, then type Export and replace .txt with .lua .   Having created the file, just paste inside the single line from the github instructions page.

Here I am again I created a lua export and paste the line in and save, so now my scripts folder contains 2 lua files. an export lua and a theWaylua as you explained it and it still does not work .transfer the steerpoints always gray🤕

18 minutes ago, PLUTON said:

Here I am again I created a lua export and paste the line in and save, so now my scripts folder contains 2 lua files. an export lua and a theWaylua as you explained it and it still does not work .transfer the steerpoints always gray🤕

Can you show me a screenshot of the Scripts folder contents so I can double check?

7 minutes ago, PLUTON said:

1.PNG

That's right ? 

Oh nonono, you are not in the right folder. You must be in Users/ (your username here) /Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Scripts.   It seems you are in Users/Saved games/DCS.openbeta/Scripts which is wrong. Did you create the Saved games folder yourself? If yes, then that's wrong, go to the path I provided above, you should find the folders already present, except maybe the Scripts folder and, of course, the lua files.

1 minute ago, PLUTON said:

Ok I understand but the problem is that my savegame is no longer on my main ssd (where there is my operating system) but on a second ssd for lack of space

Well... Not sure how your file structure looks like, but you have to find the Saved Games folder Windows has created, and in which the DCS.openbeta folder already exists, and has files from the game there. Not a DCS.openbeta folder you create somewhere else... Hope this information helps

I can not go on the path as you explain it to me because I have moved my saved game on my other ssd or there is not my folder (username) that's why I created it as you noticed it. what should i do now except be in (shit) excuse my language😭

7 minutes ago, PLUTON said:

I can not go on the path as you explain it to me because I have moved my saved game on my other ssd or there is not my folder (username) that's why I created it as you noticed it. what should i do now except be in (shit) excuse my language😭

All you need is the Saved Games folder DCS uses, and you know that if you find the DCS.openbeta folder already there with the game files. If you find that one, that's the right one. Other than that I'm not sure what else is there to do, this is a pretty unique situation.

The tool works as installed except I have some accuracy issue.

What this looks like is potentially a general tool which could turn map click data into action. All it would need is a scripting language and people could program dozens of useful macros saving you a lot of effort. That it's limited to one task in one module is a shame.

I assumed this was screen capture, OCR, then keyboard emulation output but it's clearly not. I checked different waypoint formats so either you're OCRing and then converting for all 5 formats or there's a way to get position directly from screen. The action must be injected directly since the first thing I tried is to erase all keyboard commands associated with the ICP to see if it was just using default keystrokes. Nice.

I did try putting the dot at full zoom over Vaziani's AF icon N41 38.264' E45 01.145' which put into the DED N41 37.440' E45 01.380'. I don't know why it's so far off, about 650m. It might be because I have three screens. Using the map marker system could more accurately get position info. I think there's a way to automatically delete the last made user mark so they would be erased after entry. Plus I think there's a way to pick up ground elevation that way too.

With multiple points if the window could show a list of the captured points so you know where each one was and what numbers it was going to type in that would be cool like:

1. N 41 E 56 Elevation 123 <Edit> <Delete> <Move>

2. N 41 E 57 Elevation 125 <Edit> <Delete> <Move>

3. N 41 E 57 Elevation 125 <Edit> <Delete> <Move>

4. N 41 E 57 Elevation 125 <Edit> <Delete> <Move>

<Begin Transfer> <Clear Points>

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frederf said:

The tool works as installed except I have some accuracy issue.

What this looks like is potentially a general tool which could turn map click data into action. All it would need is a scripting language and people could program dozens of useful macros saving you a lot of effort. That it's limited to one task in one module is a shame.

I assumed this was screen capture, OCR, then keyboard emulation output but it's clearly not. I checked different waypoint formats so either you're OCRing and then converting for all 5 formats or there's a way to get position directly from screen. The action must be injected directly since the first thing I tried is to erase all keyboard commands associated with the ICP to see if it was just using default keystrokes. Nice.

I did try putting the dot at full zoom over Vaziani's AF icon N41 38.264' E45 01.145' which put into the DED N41 37.440' E45 01.380'. I don't know why it's so far off, about 650m. It might be because I have three screens. Using the map marker system could more accurately get position info. I think there's a way to automatically delete the last made user mark so they would be erased after entry. Plus I think there's a way to pick up ground elevation that way too.

With multiple points if the window could show a list of the captured points so you know where each one was and what numbers it was going to type in that would be cool like:

1. N 41 E 56 Elevation 123 <Edit> <Delete> <Move>

2. N 41 E 57 Elevation 125 <Edit> <Delete> <Move>

3. N 41 E 57 Elevation 125 <Edit> <Delete> <Move>

4. N 41 E 57 Elevation 125 <Edit> <Delete> <Move>

<Begin Transfer> <Clear Points>

Very attentive observations there. Indeed if you notice the last digit is always 0, this is due to the conversation algorithm I devised for coordinates, that ought to be improved. As for OCR, I am not using that method, I  taking the coordinates directly from the game, and injecting the key presses as well... As for more modules, I got the Hornet ready and will release the update today

Edited by Comrade Doge
  • Like 1

Hello everyone again. thanks for all your feedback. I hereby announce the next version of DCS: The Way, coming with support for the F/A-18 Hornet. Check this release out, and if you are updating from an older version, only replace your existing TheWay.exe file with the new one downloaded from here: https://github.com/aronCiucu/DCSTheWay/releases/tag/v1.1.0  Many thanks to @Kerbo 416 for helping with the testing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Comrade Doge said:

Hello everyone again. thanks for all your feedback. I hereby announce the next version of DCS: The Way, coming with support for the F/A-18 Hornet. Check this release out, and if you are updating from an older version, only replace your existing TheWay.exe file with the new one downloaded from here: https://github.com/aronCiucu/DCSTheWay/releases/tag/v1.1.0  Many thanks to @Kerbo 416 for helping with the testing. 

Does this work in VR?

11 minutes ago, Comrade Doge said:

VR is not supported currently, because I do not own VR hardware so I cannot develop for it...

Roger...thanks.  As I fly in VR, was hoping it would work.

Great job Comrade Doge!  I tried "The Way" on the Nevada Map and the ingest of the Longitude is in Easting instead of Westing.  Any chance of tweaking the app for Western Hemisphere coordinates?  I just went in and overwrote the coordinates manually with W vs. E and the marker pulled point was as expected and then showed up on SEQI.  I've not tested in the Eastern Hemisphere maps of Syria, PG, etc, but I expect everything works as advertised on those maps.  Thanks for a nifty and simple targeting/waypoint implementation for the Viper and Hornet.

• Like 1

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9 minutes ago, Backy 51 said:

Great job Comrade Doge!  I tried "The Way" on the Nevada Map and the ingest of the Longitude is in Easting instead of Westing.  Any chance of tweaking the app for Western Hemisphere coordinates?  I just went in and overwrote the coordinates manually with W vs. E and the marker pulled point was as expected and then showed up on SEQI.  I've not tested in the Eastern Hemisphere maps of Syria, PG, etc, but I expect everything works as advertised on those maps.  Thanks for a nifty and simple targeting/waypoint implementation for the Viper and Hornet.

Hello! Haha yes I am aware of that, Nevada is the exception where it doesn't work well, I plan a fix in the future for it, where you select the map you are in, or if the lua scrips allow, find the map you are in automatically. I tested it only on what I had, namely PG and Syria, and it works fine there as they use N and E, but Nevada does not. Thanks for the input! 

Edited by Comrade Doge
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HappyVoo said:

Great project, there is a suggestion, can it be made into a mod type? You can also set the button while checking whether the installation is successful .😃

Greetings! Not sure I understand... What do you mean by a mod type?