Vive Pro 2

obious

3 hours ago, Headwarp said:

What it boils down to really for me.. is I'm not going to support the design choice of automated resolution settings, the inability to uncap framerates etc etc.   HTC wants me to buy an $800 headset, it needs to allow for control of basic features like setting my resolution. 

Anyway.. I've reboxed the Pro 2.  I'm done here fellas y'all enjoy.  i might check back in a few months and see if anybody's saying anything differently. 

Well technically you do pick a resolution , it is just currently the Vive software can vary it just a little. Or is it the Steam VR software causing it...

I anticipate they will get that worked out - if enough folks complain about it on the Vive forums.

But you definitely got to go with what is most comfortable and works for you.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I might as well test this with my Index to see if it also gives variable res.  This really doesn’t bother me because it doesn’t really change my fps in VR games.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

2 hours ago, Supmua said:

I might as well test this with my Index to see if it also gives variable res.  This really doesn’t bother me because it doesn’t really change my fps in VR games.

+1. Even if mine did vary, it seems like a non issue to me. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

3 hours ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

I did Re-pack my vive today for a return. I can't make it work with my eyes even so there were a couple of things I liked. 

I was in the same boat initially. The ED cross eye utility fixed it perfectly for me. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

For people with significant eyestrain, assigning an ipd offset value in the steamvr.vrsettings file might also help.

This file is located in \Steam\config\ and is basically a personal version of the default.vrsettings file which is not supposed to be altered.

Find "steamvr": { line and add "ipdOffset" : 0.00xx, to it

To acquire the offset number you have to know that SteamVR normalizes IPD at 63mm (0.0630m).

so if your IPD is 68mm which is 0.0680m, the offset would be -0.0050

Accord to this file, the GPU speed assignment also seems to be from SteamVR so assigning these numbers is probably not HTC's fault.  I saw 3 different recorded gpu speed numbers, then value for gpuSpeedHorsepower, as well as gpuSpeedRenderTargetScale.

Edited by Supmua

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Good article for VR enthusiasts who wants to deep dive.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/fcat-vr-download-and-how-to-guide/

Oh WOW that made a massive difference! Like oh my goodness how is this not front page on first startup with a new headset?

I feel like when my eye doctor flips the lenses in front of me and says "how's this?" After just trolling me with the wrong prescription!

So anyone else seeing a high level of display errors in DCS? Mostly beeping trying to get function frame rates in the other flight sim, but decided to check DCS as well while I was at it. 

Absolute wall of purple, and weird pulsating planes, just on the runway. (F-14B cold start)

CPU is 5800X, GPU is 1080 Ti. Prior headset was Reverb G1.

I've been bouncing back and forth between the three pixel presets, and that doesn't seem to make a difference. The GPU is also only running a less than 50% load, which seems weird too. 

I'm this close to returning it and just walking away from VR entirely for the next few years. 

Addendum: found the issue. The Windows Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling was causing my GPU to unload and generating a large number of display errors. Turning it off fixed my problems. 

Edited by Voyager

HAGS is known to cause issues with VR, it's better to turn it off for now but I'm sure the technology will mature and become more usable...maybe with Windows 11.

For people who want to pamper their VP2 headset, a smartplug with a timer on/off is a great option to ensure that the device doesn't stay on all day/night in case you forget to turn it off when you shut down the PC or if you want to leave the PC in sleep mode overnight like Macs (I never shut down my Macs).  A lot of smartplugs even allow remote operation from outside your house in case you really want to make sure that the headset is off.  I set mine at 12MN off and 6AM on, to get rid of the possibility of frying the headset.

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

HAGS is known to cause issues with VR, it's better to turn it off for now but I'm sure the technology will mature and become more usable...maybe with Windows 11.

Never caused any issue with my VR. 

How to improve Vive Pro 2 audio by boosting base frequency region and more.  I normally only use the built-in equalizer on my DAC/AMP setup for headphones, but happened to come across this on Reddit and decided to try it on the Vive Pro 2.

The easiest way to do this is by installing Equalizer APO since you can specify it to control just one particular audio device.  When you install make sure the Vive headset is on and choose it so that would be the only device that receives equalizing treatment.  Once you're done reboot the PC and bring up Equalizer APO Configuration Editor app.  The default profile is already better than the native Vive solution, but I find that boosting 100Hz and lower frequency to around 6 DB make it sound much better in general.  I also boost the 630 Hz and 4K Hz areas by 1.5 DB.

The sound quality is no where near my audiophile-grade headphones setup (no comparison when it comes to soundstage, imaging, instrument separation, subbass texture, overall clarity) but passable actually.  Note that this has no effect on audio hum, if you have it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 2:55 PM, A2597 said:

Hmm, might try that eye tool, didn't know it existed. I do find a bit more eye strain in DCS than with my CV1.

Wait.  What eye tool are you referencing?

ORIGINAL:  8088 4.77 Mhz  |  640kb RAM UPGRADE  |  TANDY 16-COLOR VIDEO  |  DUAL 5.25" FLOPPY DRIVES  |  13" VGA MONITOR  |  TANDY DELUXE JOYSTICK

CURRENT:  i5-12600k @ 5.0 Ghz  |  32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz  |  NVIDIA RTX 4090  |  3TB NVMe M.2 DRIVES  |  Pimax 8KX |  X56 RHINO HOTAS  |  VKB T-RUDDER Mk.IV  |  SIMSHAKER  |  VOICEATTACK w/VIACOM Pro

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know if the following start up programs are necessary, or can they be disabled?

1) HTC Register Helper

2) VIVE Cosmos Settings

h1.jpg

7 hours ago, imacken said:

Does anyone know if the following start up programs are necessary, or can they be disabled?

1) HTC Register Helper

2) VIVE Cosmos Settings

h1.jpg

Seems Vive Cosmos Settings just sets the Vive Console to launch with Windows. I turned mine off and had to launch the Vive Console manually. Probably fine to leave off if don't mind launching the program manually.

I also disabled Register Helper from starting, will see if I see any impact. About to do some campaign flying with the Hornet.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks, Don. I’ll switch them off and see.

• 1 month later...

OK, so I made an interesting discovery today.

A few days ago, I switched to using 120Hz and was surprised how good the performance was.  Today, I realised why, at least in part.  The resolution is backed off a lot when you switch to 120Hz. At 100%, SteamVR shows 3320x3320 for 90Hz, and 2868x2868 for 120Hz. See attached. 

Maybe you guys already noticed this, but it was certainly new to me.

vp1.jpg

vp2.jpg

Yes I did notice that one as well.

Don B

I'm experiencing some bad behaviour that I have described in another thread, but it is convenient to expose here.

While I disable motion composition feature (it is quite bad), and configuring VP2 in ultra mode, at low altitude flying  I see some ghosting effect on every objects, such as buildings, trees, vehicles, planes,... That is, when the relative speed is high, mainly when you flight over an object and see it on your side. The update frame rate required is high. You perceive two objects at the same time, the original and its ghost, or maybe erratic projection.

My settings are based on the proposed by speed-of-heat, where I get stable 45 FPS (kegetys and FSR mods). I have tested different SS values: 80%, 90%, 100% and 120%, same result in all of them. Lowering a lot the settings I manage to go under 11ms and I get 90 FPS. In that moment the ghosting effect disappears! So it seems to be a direct relationship.

Any similar experience? 

It would be useful to put your hardware in your signature, or at least list it. 
What resolution does SteamVR state for 100% when you have Ultra set?

40 minutes ago, imacken said:

It would be useful to put your hardware in your signature, or at least list it. 
What resolution does SteamVR state for 100% when you have Ultra set?

it states a resolution of 3372x3372 

I always forgot updating the signature... my hardware is basically composed of a 10900K@5.1GHz, 3090 FTW3 ULTRA, 32GB RAM and NVME.