Vive Pro 2

obious

It fluctuates with the VP2 and to a degree with the Pimax 8KX. And yes, performance will fluctuate depending on SteamVR's "mood" for now until this is fixed. And no, I don't confuse it with the auto setting. In fact, go ask Pimax why their Pimax Experience software even exists - because SteamVR overwrites manual tweaks about headset parameters like base res every start. And sometimes not even with the same values every time. 

1 minute ago, Habu_69 said:

If I use my Vive Pro2 only for DCS, do I REALLY need a Vive controller?

No. 

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

4 minutes ago, mhe said:

It fluctuates with the VP2 and to a degree with the Pimax 8KX. And yes, performance will fluctuate depending on SteamVR's "mood" for now until this is fixed. And no, I don't confuse it with the auto setting. In fact, go ask Pimax why their Pimax Experience software even exists - because SteamVR overwrites manual tweaks about headset parameters like base res every start. And sometimes not even with the same values every time. 

No. 

Yeah that's not how SteamVR's supposed to work.    There's just no way that's working as intended.    Again.. one couldn't get consistent performance results with a resolution that constantly changes.  Pimax informed you wrong.  That's a bug.   Not to mention the discrepency in Vive Console resolution vs Steam VR resolution be SO FAR away from each other.  THat's also a bug. 

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Just now, Headwarp said:

Yeah that's now how SteamVR's supposed to work.    There's just no way that's working as intended. 

I don't know whether it is intentional or not, it is just a tad annoying. But HTC has to work out some kinks in the software. Enabling SteamVR motion smoothing is one of them, their own implementation is horrible, makes everything wobble like it's made from jelly. 

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

1 minute ago, mhe said:

I don't know whether it is intentional or not, it is just a tad annoying. But HTC has to work out some kinks in the software. Enabling SteamVR motion smoothing is one of them, their own implementation is horrible, makes everything wobble like it's made from jelly. 

I agree 100% about motion compensation.   They need to just remove the requirement of Vive console all toghether imo.. it's just a completely unnecessary layer of tedium that is only going to serve to annoy the ever living crap out of users.   Hint: HTC I am never going to subscribe to viveport.  EVER.   Vive Console certainly isn't going to change that. 

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I think it only exists so they have something that configures the headset itself (whether it reports itself as DSC capable or not for example). Don't know whether that could have been done inside SteamVR itself, but since you can at least change refresh rates there for the Index, it might be. 

The stuff that is really annoying is all the crud that comes with the installer, I don't need Viveport, I don't need the drivers and software suite for the eyetracking that this thing doesn't even support. HTC has some ways to go in that regard. 

3 minutes ago, mhe said:

I think it only exists so they have something that configures the headset itself (whether it reports itself as DSC capable or not for example). Don't know whether that could have been done inside SteamVR itself, but since you can at least change refresh rates there for the Index, it might be. 

The stuff that is really annoying is all the crud that comes with the installer, I don't need Viveport, I don't need the drivers and software suite for the eyetracking that this thing doesn't even support. HTC has some ways to go in that regard. 

SteamVR allows for changing the resolution of any headset.. Index owners have been using steamvr settings to change the refresh rates and turn on and disable motion smoothing.  

HTC is just trying to do something they saw microsoft do.  Like I said in an ealier post.. who actually wanted a Vive Cosmos?  Nobody.. not a single soul, Microsoft had that covered and did a better job with the software. Being the company they are they're going to do it worse than the already working methods we already have.     There's a reason my last phone purchase was a Pixel and not my third HTC phone.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Even with HTC's shortcomings, it will hold me over fine until an Index 2 or something similar. 

6 minutes ago, Headwarp said:

I agree 100% about motion compensation.   They need to just remove the requirement of Vive console all toghether imo.. it's just a completely unnecessary layer of tedium that is only going to serve to annoy the ever living crap out of users.   Hint: HTC I am never going to subscribe to viveport.  EVER.   Vive Console certainly isn't going to change that. 

Yes this!!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My guess is they were trying to un-tether it from SteamVR for their corporate customers? But...us gamers ant SteamVR, soooo...Let us use it!

(Now, how to get this feedback to HTC so they can hear it)

11 minutes ago, A2597 said:

My guess is they were trying to un-tether it from SteamVR for their corporate customers? But...us gamers ant SteamVR, soooo...Let us use it!

Vive.com , click community.  OR have a chat with one of their customer service reps.  that's always a fun experience too.    lol.. half tempted to copy and paste my chats with them for the luls. But eh.   If you post on their forums make it count.  You get two posts per day. 

Also.. that would be a nice guess if not for the fact that use of the headset still requires the SteamVR enviroment.   HTC is out of touch with the VR consumer base imo.  Valve is the only reason they have success in the field.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, A2597 said:

Unlikely. Their setup routine literally installs steamvr if you don't have it already and if you launch the console, it launches SteamVR automatically as well.

I have spent ages fiddling to get this comfortable. I realised what I thought was glare was a reflection on the lens slipping through a gap between my head and the padding. I recognised a strip of a picture on my wall behind me! My solution appears to be using the VR cover I had on my G1 which I think was designed for the original Rift. After dismissing it as uncomfortable it is now ok. Not easy to put on like my G1 but once in place it feels ok. In my case it seems to need to feel fairly loose fitting but doesn't move around as I look around.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

So I made a couple of other posts over on the Vive forums this morning.

And yet again, that is the max allowed for me in a day.

That is just amazing. Seems those forums should be for folks new to Vive with their devices and needing help. But if you can only post twice in a day? That is just crazy.

Maybe it is because I am a new member and it will eventually open up? Who knows... but having a technical support forum that only allows 2 posts in a day for new customers? Wow. Color me not impressed.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The lens seem super reflective to me, yes can be mistaken as glare although the glare is also there.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

1 hour ago, dburne said:

So I made a couple of other posts over on the Vive forums this morning.

And yet again, that is the max allowed for me in a day.

That is just amazing. Seems those forums should be for folks new to Vive with their devices and needing help. But if you can only post twice in a day? That is just crazy.

Maybe it is because I am a new member and it will eventually open up? Who knows... but having a technical support forum that only allows 2 posts in a day for new customers? Wow. Color me not impressed.

I can tell you both from experience with their phones, and from my recent chats with their customer service.. HTC doesn't have a great track record there in my personal experiences. 

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Just now, Headwarp said:

I can tell you both from experience with their phones, and from my recent chats with their customer service.. HTC doesn't have a great track record there in my personal experiences. 

Well here's to hoping I won't need them.

Don B

Just now, dburne said:

Well here's to hoping I won't need them.

Lol if you decide you want to sell your Index HMU I think I'm interested. 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Headwarp said:

Lol if you decide you want to sell your Index HMU I think I'm interested. 

I am hoping that might be the case - will see. 

Don B

I definitely won’t be going back to the Index. One of my kids already took possession of it.  The software side is bound to improve, this happens with any new products. 

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Augh my estimated delivery from Fed EX has changed now from Wed to Thurs. by end of day.

Oh well what's another day... I would say something over on the Vive forums but I have already maxed my 2 post limit for the day.

Edit: well I am little confused, got an email from Fed EX delivery manager saying the package is on the way with scheduled delivery Wed. But if I click on the tracking number to track it, it states Thursday.

Who knows!

Edited by dburne

Don B

21 minutes ago, dburne said:

Augh my estimated delivery from Fed EX has changed now from Wed to Thurs. by end of day.

Who knows!

FedEx has been erratic lately, from 3 days late on an overnight delivery to one day early on a two day delivery of a monitor today. Good luck. 

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

Now I got a text message on cell phone from Fed EX stating tomorrow for delivery lol.

Don B

I wish I could see some movement on my pre-order.  Nothing from Vive, and Amazon UK are offering delivery for Thursday!

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Some tips for people who don't get good performance on theirs.  Check your steamvr.vrsettings file (in \Steam\config\) and make sure there is no funny settings going on that might screw up your performance.  I found evidence of SteamVR taking GPU speed into account for assigning pixel rendering resolution in terms of percentage.  It takes values of different GPU speed test (gpuSpeed0 and gpuSpeed1 in that file) and assigns an arbitrary number (gpuSpeedHorsepower) which seems to be the avg power of the two, and this is why people are getting different res at 100% setting.  It still had my preferred refresh rate of 80 Hz, which is not possible with Vive Pro 2 so I had to manually change that to 90.  There might be some other setting lines that are left over from your old headset which may not be compatible with the Vive Pro 2 and should be adjusted or deleted.  I also have a feeling that SteamVR might not yet fully support the Vive Pro 2.

However, despite all this I've been having incredibly smooth gameplay with DCS and MSFS.  Once correctly tuned to the power of your system, i.e. not dropping below 1:2 reprojection (usually by downsampling resolution until you get there), the experience is better than the Index due to much better screen (HFOV, clarity, lack of SDE, coloration, black level, etc).

Edited by Supmua