"End Mission" button not working after updating to 2.7.1.6430

Avalanche110

Hello everyone.

Like many others have already reported, I have been having problems with the End mission button.

I only experienced the problem in a campaign I made myself, and the problem only occurred after updating to 2.7

I read on the forums and in the patch notes that this was fixed in 2.7.1.6430 

• The button End mission doesn't work if a map object was destroyed - fixed.

However I have found that the issue is still occurring.

I was able to fix the problem in OB2.7.1 by editing the me_logbook.lua as per @BuzzLine's instructions (thanks Buddy)

The mission in question does not have any map objects destroyed ( I think ) 

The mission does use alot of scripts to spawn units, that might be another cause of the problem.

I have a trk file, however it was a long mission and is over 30MB. I don't think It will be useful for debugging.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9eu8tui26fgier0/End mission button innop.trk?dl=0

• Like 1

@Avalanche110 : Post your dcs.log and your debrief.log files, they could be sufficient for diagnosis. 

This is frustrating...

They have touched up the logic in me_logbook.lua but I'd call their fix brittle, as they test for targetMissionId not Nil and then *assume* that it's gonna enough to guarantee that unitTarget will not be Nil.  That may be at best ... optimistic in some intricate situations (like using scripts to spawn units maybe ? 😉 ).

The silly thing is that they *still* have a test for "if unitTarget", only it's now either useless (if their change indeed offers a strong guarantee), or it's *still* not in the right place which is (at the risk of repeating myself) *before* unitTarget is accessed. -sigh- 

local country_idTarget = unitTarget.boss.boss.id -- <<<< ... YOU WILL HAVE CRASHED HERE IF IT'S NOT USELESS
local victim = unitTarget
local victimType = victim.boss.type

if unitTarget then -- <<<< THIS TEST IS EITHER USELESS OR TOO LOW BECAUSE ...

My original fix should still work (*). And I guess ED's fix may also actually work some times, in all fairness. But ...

... WITH OUR POWERS COMBINED  !!! ✊ 🌟 ✊

Here's a fixed file with all fixes merged together. Enjoy your campaigns.

(*) although they also fixed the computation of day/night flight hours so better use this new merged file.

me_logbook.lua

• Thanks 2

thanks man that is very good of you!

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

3 hours ago, Avalanche110 said:

@BuzzLine

I have attached the Debrief and a copy of the log file.

These were recorded with (one) of your fixes applied.

Again, thanks for all your efforts!

dcs.log 748.7 kB · 2 downloads Debrief.log 149.97 kB · 2 downloads

Nothing strikes me as odd in either log files. Indeed it's quite a script-heavy mission, though ! 🙂 

On 5/21/2021 at 2:45 PM, BuzzLine said:

My original fix should still work (*). And I guess ED's fix may also actually work some times, in all fairness. But ...

... WITH OUR POWERS COMBINED  !!! ✊ 🌟 ✊

Here's a fixed file with all fixes merged together. Enjoy your campaigns.

(*) although they also fixed the computation of day/night flight hours so better use this new merged file.

me_logbook.lua 57.99 kB · 4 downloads

Before someone asks: there was no change from ED to the file in 2.7.1.6709 from today's update. So my fix (above) will continue to work on that version and (maybe) bring some additional robustness. At least it should not harm anything.

Enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Roosterfeet  Yeah, from what I read, my fix should work fine for your issue. But I'll be damned if I understand why the bug triggers. The debrief.log file looks correct but for some reason, one of the units you killed is not registered in the list of units. This "should not happen" but obviously it does. (Rant: and that's the reason good software engineers use defensive programming... -sigh- 🙄 ) 

Anyways, thanks for the log file, it should help the devs actually fix the bug (for real this time). In the meantime, use my fix from above, it should solve (or at least hide) the issue. 

Cheers ! 

PS: is Rising Squall any good ? I'm considering buying it... 

Thanks Buzzline. No problems so far with the modified .lua.

I'm 4 missions into Rising Squall and I'm enjoying it so far. It really delivers on the Ace Combat meets DCS concept. The missions are highly scripted and they do some neat things with track files. They take 30 to 45 minutes to fly. I've needed two attempts to pass a couple of them and I didn't mind at all. One of the more complex mission that I've flow even had mid mission checkpoints. The story and voice acting are what you would expect in an Ace Combat game; so that's either a good thing or a bad thing, personally I like it. I'm really impressed with the level of polish that it has. The music is great, the briefing images are fantastic, it even comes with a really nice theme. I wish there were more campaigns like it for DCS. In the 90's and early 2000's, flight sims were also games and I miss that.

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 5600 XT

Hello people !

Today saw a great new update on open beta, Cyprus included in the Syria map, and the Hind is a *very* enjoyable beast, so it is a good day to fly. 🙂 

BUT...

...for those who wondered, the buggy lua file was *not* updated, so feel free to continue using my fixed file (linked below), it should keep working and providing additional protection against the bug. 

Hugs and love from 50ft above Cyprus,

Buzz

PS: Petrovich says hi to everyone following this bug  o/ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...