Campaigns Question - AI related

rkk01

Tempted to try a few of the campaigns in the DCS shop, but concerned that the ninja / UFO AI behaviour might be an issue...

Are AI levels selectable?  Conscious that there are different authors involved so it may vary...

I don't know of any campaign, where you can select the AI level. And I own many of them. But the authors know about the AIs shortcomings and mostly find a way around them...

• Thanks 1

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

I'm flying Horrido in A8. The AI behavior is puzzling. If a Spitfire hones on you then no matter what you do you'll go down. However, If you stay far away from them they set their sights on the Axis' AI's at which point they become mindless drones and are super easy to shoot down.

In other words the experience is frustrating but game-able, which is at least something.

For me it was/is an issue. Especially for WW II.

I bought the Jagdflieger-campaign for the Bf-109 and abandoned it after a couple of missions. After attempting one mission many many times, I got really frustrated and gave up. Granted, several failed attempts were nobody's fault but mine (me not knowing the airplane enough or making more or less stupid mistakes), but even when I did alright (at least I think I did), I never managed to stay with the formation when they started climbing faster than I ever could or turned like crazy out of the blue. After having failed so many times and now knowing the route, I once managed to be faster than the rest and got shot down... That was a couple of weeks ago, and I have not tried again since.

The reason I would want to play campaigns is the atmosphere. From what I've seen from this particular campaign, the creators did a good job setting this up, but it got ruined completely (for me at least) by the AI. I don't need a campaign to fly alone with no other aircraft in sight.

I much prefer Multiplayer. Sometimes for practice or trying something a quick mission is alright, but campaigns lost all appeal for me. The modern stuff is a little better. For WWII, where you have generally larger and more concentrated formations, the AI is just not convincing enough and behaves oddly far too often for my taste. And even when it does not ruin the outcome of a mission, it ruins the atmosphere more often than not (in my experience).

If you can justify the price, I'd propose to try at least one campaign that appeals to you and see for yourself, you may not have these problems. If not, I would stick to multiplayer.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]