Thinking of going ultrawide 21:9

HI Guys,

As the title says I am thinking of moving to an ultrawide monitor. I have moved my computer desk etc and my 4k TV is no longer going to practically fit. Thought an ultrawide monitor would be a smart move.

I use Track IR, does DCS have any issues with 21:9 and Track IR? 

Are there any settings or special setup I should be aware of before making a purchase.

My gpu is a 2080ti and I will be buying a DP 1.4 cable to take advantage of variable refresh rate.

Cheers

I’m a bit disenchanted with my ultrawide .. it is complex to configure DCS to really take advantage of its proportions, see here:

if I could go back in time, I should have purchased a 4K monitor instead: cheaper and fits DCS better.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I'd say it also depends on what you plan to use it for. While I don't see any problem with DCS in ultrawide (I provided a screenshot in the thread Rudel linked to), I bought my 38" UltraWide monitor primarily for RPGs (gamechanger!), and some secondary photography work (it's much more colour accurate than my previous PC monitor, which used to force me to use my laptop).

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I have an ultrawide curved 1440. The only ''advantage'' is it slightly increases peripheral vision, but sure does look nice. Imo 1440 is the ideal compromise between quality and performance. My 4k experience was a bit disappointing on the other hand (it's overkill for a normal size monitor, and if you're sitting very far back it doesn't look much better than 1440 does. Highly recommend for larger TVs)

Worked a helluva lot better than my 3x 27'' screens. That was interesting as a novelty, but way too much distortion, the screens didn't exactly match, etc

• Thanks 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Cheers mars, that's exactly what I wanted to know. After a back injury I can't turn my head as much as I could before. So on my old 1440p monitor I can't comfortably check six. I thought an ultra wide might give me more horizontal viewing when using Track IR.

What if you use a more aggressive TrackIR profile?

It may take some time to get used to but once you do, it's great. And you can always play with it a bit.

Set it to 50 smooth to compesate if needed.

TIR_Aggressive.xml

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I’ve been playing a lot more on my ultra wide 1440p and Tracker IR just because of the clouds and how crisp everything looks.

actually stunning at times but I do a lot of BFM and can’t just look around and soak the beauty up. Sorry I have no experience with 4K. 1440 ultra wide looks way better then my G2. My 34” UltraWide is a curve also. As always a change like this takes a few weeks to get use too.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I got mine setup last night. Really pleased with it, I prefer it to my 4k setup to be honest. Just for the aspect ratio. I just need to work out how to edit the config files to alter my default FOV for my regular aircraft. Right now its zoomed in a little too much, however a small zoom out and its perfect.

From first impressions I cant recommend 21:9 enough for flight sims. My FPS games look better too.

18 minutes ago, Bossco82 said:

...I just need to work out how to edit the config files to alter my default FOV for my regular aircraft...

+1

I still can't get mine to show up correctly :cry:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Well I went straight from a regular 1440p monitor to ultrawide. Before setting up my 21:9 I took a photograph of my 1440p monitor with DCS running in cockpit. The problem I found is that the horizontal field of view is fixed in DCS. So when you fire up in 21:9 it first looks like the tops chopped off. When I zoomed out so that what I could see vertically matched the photograph I took with my 1440p regular monitor. It looked correct again and I had the extra viewing on either side.

I expected this to be honest. What DCS could probably do with is an option to select default FOV in the graphic options as well as aspect ratio. However it is easy to adjust for me as I have zoom binded to my Hotas. 

If I zoom out FOV increases if I zoom in it decreases. I know there will be config files somewhere that will allow me to change the default FOV. I just havn't found it yet.

11 minutes ago, Bossco82 said:

.. The problem I found is that the horizontal field of view is fixed in DCS. So when you fire up in 21:9 it first looks like the tops chopped off. ..

Yes, the same happens to me, and I know that I can adjust it with the Zoom controls, but having to adjust this everytime I fly a mission gets tiresome quickly. I have tried to set the FOV manually on the Snapviews.lua file but I can't get the FOV that I want .. seems it is limited by the CameraAngleLimits parameter of the Server.Lua file, but I still have not learnt how to set this up right 😂 

I have asked on the Forum, but while everyone agrees that this is a FOV issue, no one seems to know how to set it as a default value for all my aircrafts 😞

Yeah Rudel I agree with you completely. The default FOV seems to be locked at a setting horizontally that is for 16:9. I cant find out how to alter it yet either.

I find altering the zoom a niggle more than a problem. Like I said I have it bound to a rotary on my hotas so I use it regularly anyway for spotting targets etc. 

I expected this before I bought an ultrawide monitor. Like I said a solution that Ed could maybe consider would be to add a FOV option/slider in the graphics options. Until then altering zoom is the only option. I have not properly searched the forum though. 

• Like 1