AGM-65L - Laser Shutting Itself Off

Hey Guys,

As we learn to use the AGM-65L there can be issues that crop up.

Everything is Good

TGP 00.gif

TGP 01.gif

OK...

These first two pictures show the TGP symbology of a AGM-65L in flight with the laser on.  The missile has been locked on and then fired.  You can't see it but the left hand L is flashing, hence the reason for 2 pictures.  There is another L on the display just to the right of the flashing L.

What is this other L for?

Everything is NOT Good

TGP 02.gif

OK...

This is a later TGP picture of the same attack.  You can't see it, but the left L is no longer flashing and the right L has been replaced by a T.  Doing nothing at this point and the missile misses.   Because this seems to happen just about 100% of the time to me I have be alert and simply turn the laser back on to get a target hit.

What is this T for?

Why is the laser shutting itself off?

Thanks in advance,

Caldera

the second L next to the range is source for the ranging information.

so L means the laser is the source, T means TGP is the source.

laser timing out before mav impact is a reported bug. until its fixed(~2049) try shooting below 6nm or manually toggling the laser.

Afof,

Thank you!  I never really know if it just me doing something wrong.

I took your advice and toggled the laser a couple of times in flight and I got 100% hits.

I also see an E in that same spot when the TGP is being slewed by the HOTAS.  What does the E stand for?

Caldera

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Afof,

Thank you!  I never really know if it just me doing something wrong.

I took your advice and toggled the laser a couple of times in flight and I got 100% hits.

I also see an E in that same spot when the TGP is being slewed by the HOTAS.  What does the E stand for?

Caldera

My guess is EGI as range source

Hey,

Seems this fix did not make it into 2.7.1.6430.

What is the intended purpose of this missile anyways?  

I mean the advantages over the G or the K models.  In DCS it is not fire and forget so it puts you in harms way for sniping and must to kind of the same thing in real life.  Would it be used mostly for buddy lasing or JTAC etc...

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

It's really good when someone else finds the target for you. JTAC feels better if he has control over the missile. Also you can change your mind about killing after launch. It's very much a CAS-oriented missile.

I don't find that laser stops firing although I'm on latched so I toggle laser on, lock, shoot, hit, toggle laser off. If laser is on momentary button then it must be held. There is no automatic lasing that I can see. Perhaps the laser got masked somehow half way through your attack?

57 minutes ago, Frederf said:

It's really good when someone else finds the target for you. JTAC feels better if he has control over the missile. Also you can change your mind about killing after launch. It's very much a CAS-oriented missile.

I don't find that laser stops firing although I'm on latched so I toggle laser on, lock, shoot, hit, toggle laser off. If laser is on momentary button then it must be held. There is no automatic lasing that I can see. Perhaps the laser got masked somehow half way through your attack?

You can see that bug on Wags video too.  You'll see that timer on the left of the HUD reach 0 and L stops flashing.  And then he re-fired the laser at 12:21.  He doesn't mention it tho.

Only use for L that I found other than the obvious JTAC and buddy lasing is if you want to be precise from long range.  I often find it difficult to lock D or H exactly on the specific target I want if targets are bunched up.  L can be more precise.  And you can also change target as you get closer.

You need to stay within gimbal while slowing down to avoid getting too close.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey All,

Back on the AGM-65L.

This can be one annoying weapon to use.  I have been practicing with it again and as you probably know it has an unusual quirk.  The laser will automatically shut itself off. 

This makes it a terrible weapon for self lasing against stuff like short range SAMs or other things that can shoot back from distance.

To make matters worse, when the laser shuts itself off to turn it back on there seems to be some kind of a cool down built in.  The laser can not just be turned right back on and has period of time after it automatically shuts off until it can be manually turned back on.   As far as this cool down goes, with the AGM-65L not selected this cool down does not exist.

Turning the laser off then back on when the missile is well on its way to impact, but it still has this weird cool down where the laser can not be turned back on right away. 

Is there a timer somewhere that can be adjusted?

This is a glitch that has simply been around a long time right?

Nealius,

I am having no problems being on target if I can keep the laser on.

Catweedle,

Not just MP.

Caldera

Edited by Caldera