Wingman refuses to taxi or takeoff online (w/ track)

Nealius

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

strange seems ok here, tested in open beta and our dev version 

Screen_210531_112430.png

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I am having the same issue, Ai wingman won't taxi or takeoff once I've taken off. I'm using liberation 2.5.1. It only happens when I use the dedicated server. I have the server installed on my laptop and I fly on my main desktop computer. I even set liberation to runway starts but I spawn on the ramp. I will post a track when I get home from work.

If a track is too large I upload to Google Drive.

However, DCS staff don't like Liberation track files due to all the scripting. If you don't have the Liberation software open while replaying the track file, you get a load of scripting errors.

• 2 weeks later...

This is game-breaking. The AI wingman refuses to taxi until the client has taken off, thus clogging up the taxi routes causing all AI assets to get stuck on taxi, thus causing a mission abort because assets can't get airborne to do their jobs. This is not a Supercarrier issue, nor a mod issue. This is a core DCS issue that affects all modules on all airbases. 

vlcsnap-2021-06-13-17h00m20s293.png

• Like 1

This continues to be a problem for me as of the latest open beta.

Attached is a very simple .miz file with an F-16 departing warm from Incirlik with one AI wingman. On a dedicated server, the AI wingman does not move, even after the player has taken off.

In single player, and also with the server built-in to the DCS client, the AI begins to taxi as soon as the player starts moving. It is only on the standalone, dedicated server running separately to the client that the issue occurs. I'd just like to check with @BIGNEWY that when you tried to reproduce this, you used a dedicated server and not the built-in server? As that might explain why the issue didn't occur on your end.

WingmanTest_Incirlik.miz

• Like 2

I use the built-in server and still get the taxi issue, but it varies wildly from airfield to airfield. At some airfields (Incirlik) the AI wingman never taxis at all. At other airfields (High Halden), they taxi once the client crosses a certain point on the runway during takeoff roll. At yet other airfields (Sochi), the AI will taxi when the client reaches the hold-short point on the taxiway.

On 6/3/2021 at 4:00 AM, PMcG said:

I`ve created a simple mission in the editor without any scripting. Here are the track files. DS is Dedicated Server and SP is Single Player

DSMode.trk 803.41 kB · 4 downloads SPMode.trk 1.41 MB · 1 download

I've just tested both your tracks on current closed beta and I cannot reproduce your issue, which means tracks probably won't help us this time.

I will now try to reproduce the bug using your simple mission on a dedicated server.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Reproduced, but only on a dedicated server. 👌

Tracks don't show the problem since this only happens when the mission is hosted on a dedicated server.

This is PMcG's mission from his tracks.

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

I run my server from a second instance of DCS due to Dedicated Server disk space (and I understood there to be no .trk files generated by Dedicated Servers but I may be wrong). Did you try from a second instance as well? Logically, if it affects a server from a second instance it should also affect dedicated server, and vice versa. Running a second instance is essentially just a rendered dedicated server.

On my end, both server and client .trk files reproduce the problem as well.

Edited by Nealius

Dedicated servers do generate .trk files. You can find them in "C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Tracks\Multiplayer".

What do you call a "second instance of DCS"?

I just gave another go to the "DSMode_client_hot.miz" mission above:

• Single player: AI taxis
  • Non-dedicated server: AI taxis
  • Dedicated server: AI don't move

Anyway, this thread has been marked "reported". It means ED devs will soon squash this annoying bug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Flappie said:

What do you call a "second instance of DCS"?

Running two instances of DCS.exe at the same time. One as a host, one as a client. It's the same as a dedicated server, except rendered and doesn't take up additional disk space. It's easily done by creating a seperate Saved Games folder, creating a shortcut to DCS.exe with "-server -w [Saved Games folder name]" appended to the target filepath. I assume that when you tested "Non-dedicated server" you were both hosting and flying as a client on the same DCS.exe? 

Edited by Nealius

3 hours ago, Nealius said:

I assume that when you tested "Non-dedicated server" you were both hosting and flying as a client on the same DCS.exe?

Precisely.

Thanks for the insight, I didn't know about this.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a bump because I read above that its been reported. This is me hosting the mission and two clients flying with me with a wingman each. One in an F14B and the other in a F18. Having the same issue. Gave up trying to get the AI wingmen to hook up on the carrier. They came out but wouldn't hook up so just foul the deck. I used a do script to remove them but the other clients on my mission could see them even though for me they where gone for me.

I moved flights to Akrotiri instead (Syria map) and the AI wingmen will taxi for whoever is hosting the mission but they won't taxi with any other client flights. If you request taxi from the F menu and are granted any taxiing flights stop rolling so have to taxi without using the F menu. 

To get around it I'm having to set an AI flight to late start and follow the client but then it means the client has no control over the wingman. Its a real headache. As a side note is it not possible to get the AI flights to roll onto the runway at the same time for a formation take off rather than one going at a time? Its a killer for timings.

• 4 months later...