Export.lua causing stuttering

MPK

I posted this in the SRS topic in "Mods and Apps" but I decided I should post it here as well.

Unfortunately, I am one of the players who has been negatively impacted by performance in 2.7 in VR, specifically stuttering caused by spikes in CPU frame times. This is especially bad when joining any multiplayer server. Every 1.5 to 2 seconds I see a spike in CPU frame time. Here is an example using the F-14 caucases take off instant action mission:

oAaRUMv.jpg

This is a freshly repaired install of DCS with no mods other than SRS. The issue is clearly visible on the CPU graph. If I do anything more strenuous than fly around in an empty mission, especially joining a multiplayer server, these spikes are enough to cause a visible stutter in the headset every 2 seconds. It has made VR unplayable for me, especially online.

I have been experimenting with settings in DCS, NVidia control panel, Process Lasso, enabling and disabling various mods etc and I think I have finally tracked down the source of my issues. It seem that my problem is related to the Exports.lua file found in Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts. My Exports.lua file just has a single line related to SRS:

pcall(function() local dcsSr=require('lfs');dofile(dcsSr.writedir()..[[Mods\Services\DCS-SRS\Scripts\DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua]]); end,nil);

I have discovered that if I delete the Exports.lua file the issue goes away:

JOXesBq.jpg

Not only are the spikes in CPU frame time gone, but the average CPU frame time is 1 - 2 ms lower. The headset was on the table in the same position for both test runs, all settings were the same, and the applications running in the background in windows was identical in each case. The only difference was the deleted Export.lua file. As a test I tried joining one of the hoggit servers with Export.lua deleted and 90% of the stutters in VR are gone.

Note that these stutters happen even when SRS is not actually running, just having the entry in the Export.lua file is enough to cause them.

• Like 1

export lua basically calls into the game for information so it can depending on the export have significant CPU impact.. for some very innocuous settings

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

On 5/18/2021 at 12:43 PM, MPK said:

I posted this in the SRS topic in "Mods and Apps" but I decided I should post it here as well.

Unfortunately, I am one of the players who has been negatively impacted by performance in 2.7 in VR, specifically stuttering caused by spikes in CPU frame times. This is especially bad when joining any multiplayer server. Every 1.5 to 2 seconds I see a spike in CPU frame time. Here is an example using the F-14 caucases take off instant action mission:

oAaRUMv.jpg

This is a freshly repaired install of DCS with no mods other than SRS. The issue is clearly visible on the CPU graph. If I do anything more strenuous than fly around in an empty mission, especially joining a multiplayer server, these spikes are enough to cause a visible stutter in the headset every 2 seconds. It has made VR unplayable for me, especially online.

I have been experimenting with settings in DCS, NVidia control panel, Process Lasso, enabling and disabling various mods etc and I think I have finally tracked down the source of my issues. It seem that my problem is related to the Exports.lua file found in Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts. My Exports.lua file just has a single line related to SRS:

pcall(function() local dcsSr=require('lfs');dofile(dcsSr.writedir()..[[Mods\Services\DCS-SRS\Scripts\DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua]]); end,nil);

I have discovered that if I delete the Exports.lua file the issue goes away:

JOXesBq.jpg

Not only are the spikes in CPU frame time gone, but the average CPU frame time is 1 - 2 ms lower. The headset was on the table in the same position for both test runs, all settings were the same, and the applications running in the background in windows was identical in each case. The only difference was the deleted Export.lua file. As a test I tried joining one of the hoggit servers with Export.lua deleted and 90% of the stutters in VR are gone.

Note that these stutters happen even when SRS is not actually running, just having the entry in the Export.lua file is enough to cause them.

The only 'scripts' folder that I have in 'Saved Games/DCS Open Beta' is the one I created for 'Rescue Helo' and 'Random Air Traffic' scripts.

There is no 'export.lua' in that folder, however, I do have one in the main game folder 'DCS Open Beta/scripts'.

This one seem to mostly reference 'Lock On' and the first line is "DO NOT EDIT". What would happen if I delete this one?

Export.lua.jpg

Export.lua

Edited by rayrayblues

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

DCS itself doesn't produce this Export.lua file. It contains "hooks" used by mods such as Tacview, SRS and others.

So you're free to rename it so DCS cannot load it anymore.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

7 hours ago, Flappie said:

DCS itself doesn't produce this Export.lua file. It contains "hooks" used by mods such as Tacview, SRS and others.

So you're free to rename it so DCS cannot load it anymore.

Do you mean the one in the main game folder  'DCS Open Beta/Scripts'?  Can I delete it?  Remember, that's the only one I have.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

I asked you to rename it, not delete it. 😉

EDIT: sorry,  I misread your post. Donc delete nor rename the Export.lua file found in the main game folders.

Edited by Flappie
  • Thanks 1

i would not delete something from the main game folder ... if you are experiencing stuttering and you don't have an export.lua in saved games\dcs\scripts deleting or renaming the file in the main game directory is not likely to help you as all the entries you showed in the file from your post were remarked out... 

I would suggest that you have something else causing a problem . you can try RENAMING the saved games directory,  and removing your mods/running repair

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I was talking about renaming the Saves Games\DCS...\Scripts\Export.lua, not the one from the main game files. I didn't see rayray was talking bout that one.

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 11:38 PM, Flappie said:

I asked you to rename it, not delete it. 😉

EDIT: sorry,  I misread your post. Donc delete nor rename the Export.lua file found in the main game folders.

SRsfa58.gif

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦