Proper 21-9 Support

fapador

Currently there is no real advantage in using 21:9 on dcs. As of now when I run 21:9 on my UW monitor and select the appropriate settings I get the same view as 16:9 with less vertical space (and I have to zoom out but then things get small). If only there was a way to unlink vertical fov from horizontal then I could probably set it up nicely as I have in other sim also Arma 3 supports ultrawides nicely (I am mentioning this as an example as people often believe its working fine as of now) I want this issue to get the proper attention as It has been so for a long time. Its a shame not to be able to fully utilize 21:9 monitors and gain advantage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Obsessed with FM's

i have a dell AW3420DW which native res is 3440x1440 (21:9). DCS also runs this res without issues. what do you mean "proper support"?

Edited by silverdevil
typo

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Example, As of now a  75degree fov setting in  a 16:9 monitor shows more vertical fov than a 75fov setting in a 21:9(the correct would be to have same vertical fov and more horizontal also called hor+setup). Image gets cropped in the vertical to make the aspect ratio work with ultrawide monitors. you can compare it real quick by setting the game to a 16:9 resolution and compare the images. And dont suggest me to zoom out to see more vertical fov its simply wrongly implemented in the game (i believe it was a quick fix to make 21:9monitors work when they first came out)

2 hours ago, silverdevil said:

i have a dell AW3420DW which native res is 3440x1440 (21:9). DCS also runs this res without issues. what do you mean "proper support"?

I also believe somehow the game auto zooms out slightly in 21:9 but its still not quite correct you can verify that by hitting control pause and taking note of the fov parameter

Edited by fapador
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Obsessed with FM's

18 hours ago, fapador said:

If only there was a way to unlink vertical fov from horizontal then I could probably set it up nicely

It's called aspect and you set it manually in the DCS config > system. If you set it wrong you'll get distorted proportions instead.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

It's called aspect and you set it manually in the DCS config > system. If you set it wrong you'll get distorted proportions instead.

yes i set the aspect to 2.33 but still it crops the image. its still a mishandling by the game back a while ago I had contact support and they acknowledged the issue. When I come back from work I will try to find that email if I havent deleted it.

• Like 1

Obsessed with FM's

22 hours ago, fapador said:

Example, As of now a  75degree fov setting in  a 16:9 monitor shows more vertical fov than a 75fov setting in a 21:9(the correct would be to have same vertical fov and more horizontal also called hor+setup). Image gets cropped in the vertical to make the aspect ratio work with ultrawide monitors.

Thanks a lot .. without your post I wouldn't have noticed this bug ... you are fully right, here is a screenshot comparison:

cHGPlzK.jpg

The top image is on a 16:9 resolution, the lower one is on my 21:9 ... same aircraft and mission, it can be clearly seen that the lower image is just a vertically cropped image, what a shame :cry:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

3 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Thanks a lot .. without your post I wouldn't have noticed this bug ... you are fully right, here is a screenshot comparison:

cHGPlzK.jpg

The top image is on a 16:9 resolution, the lower one is on my 21:9 ... same aircraft and mission, it can be clearly seen that the lower image is just a vertically cropped image, what a shame :cry:

21:9 monitor here as well and I noticed  the same thing.  Coming from 16:9, I am disappointed and hopefully this is addressed by ED. @BIGNEWY

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

ah now i see what you mean. honestly did not notice it. now i see with the screen shots. so i am a bit confused. with wide monitor how is the image changed to fit? currently it trims off the top right? if this did not happen that means 21:9 monitors should have a wider image than 16:9 right? would that be an unfair advantage to one or the other? i feel that even with the top chopped i have more screen. but yeah confused i am.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

17 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you want to see that vertical space can you not move the cockpit camera back some to zoom out?

The side mirrors are in same spots in both screens, so it's scaled to fit horizonally, and for a wider aspect monitor, that means you're going to lose some vertical.

I fail to see how this is anywhere close to a bug instead of just the consequences of having one aspect ratio monitor vs another.

Edited by Munkwolf
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Munkwolf said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you want to see that vertical space can you not move the cockpit camera back some to zoom out?

The side mirrors are in same spots in both screens, so it's scaled to fit horizonally, and for a wider aspect monitor, that means you're going to lose some vertical.

I fail to see how this is anywhere close to a bug instead of just the consequences of having one aspect ratio monitor vs another.

+1 the human eye is based on peripheral vision. the top to bottom of the view are not as important as side to side. probably why i did not notice.

Thanks for your responses guys. Please raise awareness of the issue so it can be fixed. Unfortuanetelly, as by today there are very few games that support ultrawide monitors fully. Its called hor+ fov support. A good example of such a game is Arma3 and also Rise of Flight. For me that little extra   vertical space is important so I would really want it to be fixed real quick. I will try to contact support again and solve this for all of us ultrawide users fingers crossed

also ,No I dont like to move camera back because then in planes with hud and aim sight you lose info

Edited by fapador
  • Like 3

Obsessed with FM's

2 hours ago, Munkwolf said:

... I fail to see how this is anywhere close to a bug instead of just the consequences of having one aspect ratio monitor vs another.

What I expected to have is the exact same image of the 16:9 monitor, but with 2.5/9 more field of view on each side ... right now it is just the exact same image of the 16:9 but cropped, so instead of having more images on the sides I end up with LESS image on the top and bottom.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

You want bigger fov - change the fov. It is horizontal fov so it's designed to fit the image horizontally. If the fov has not changed how can you expect to see more on the sides?! Everything works as expected.

@Rudel_chw Your comparison was not really fair. You made it look like your 16:9 monitor was actually bigger than the 21:9. Try this instead:

wide.jpg

See? You have a bigger screen now, so change the fov and use it. You will get what you asked for then without losing top/bottom.

btw: What any game needs to support wide screen is only the fov change.

@fapadorOf course you have to change fov (zoom), not move the camera back! You can then save the current view (RAlt+Numpad "0") and just have to press Numpad Enter after entering the mission. This is the easiest way without fiddling with luas.

Finally, if anything, you can ask the devs to change default fov depending on the aspect but it's not that easy or smart move.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 3

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

2 hours ago, draconus said:

... If the fov has not changed how can you expect to see more on the sides?! Everything works as expected.

Thanks for the advice, will give it a try today 👍

Edited by Rudel_chw

No! its not right solution, notice how the mfd and hud gets smaller. Same fov is 16:9 with 21:9 comparison 21:9 34inch is no bigger than 16:9 27inch its just extended horizontally by 2inches each side the height is exactly the same. Other games support 21:9 better like I mentioned take a look and see for yourself

If the fov hasnt changed how we expect the image to get cropped? 😛

Edited by fapador

Obsessed with FM's

In the contrary you made it look like its alright because you put red lines in the 21:9 screenshot showing that 16:9 is less while its not like that. The correct is to see more and keep the things the same size, not to see more and make things smaller. You can increase fov in 16:9 monitor and do the same. Sorry mate but  increasing fov is not cure!

Atm 21:9 is worse than 16:9 monitor IMO. and before anyone starts saying about unfair advantage the same goes for triple monitors and vr but ofcourse they are supported...

Edited by fapador

Obsessed with FM's

1 hour ago, fapador said:

If the fov hasnt changed how we expect the image to get cropped?

Because you have wider monitor now and it displays the image to fill the same in game view angles horizontally (DCS fov is for horizontal value). But the monitor's height is the same, so it has to crop the image to keep right proportions. That's all if you keep the same fov. Now if you change both monitor and the fov - you get what you wanted to achieve:

wide.jpg

FOV: 75 and 90 are out of my ... they're probably close but irrelevant, it's just to prove the point. As you can see nothing is getting smaller and you have wider view now.

And again, no special support is needed - you have all the tools to set it as you want.

Where does that "unfair advantage" argument even come from? TrackIR is unfair...

...and another one to help you understand:

wider.jpg

Edited by draconus

41 minutes ago, draconus said:

Where does that "unfair advantage" argument even come from? TrackIR is unfair...

i was asking. i got my answer from you at least. and i guess in a sense trackIR is in deed unfair. but since i play only SP i am going to continue using trackIR. and my three 38:9 monitors. they completely circle my chair.

Edited by silverdevil

Now my friend you are posting screenshots from rise of flight which properly supports 21:9  and its working fine for sure because i have that game also🤣🤣

PS that indication of 90fov is only the horizontal change the vfov in rise of flight stays the same without image cropping

Edited by fapador
  • Thanks 1

Obsessed with FM's

1 minute ago, fapador said:

Now my friend you are posting screenshots from rise of flight which properly supports 21:9  and its working fine for sure because i have that game also🤣🤣

It doesn't matter what game it is. It is shown to make you understand how it works. Nothing funny here.

Lol you still insist... do you even have 21:9 monitor ? check it out by yourself if you have

11 minutes ago, draconus said:

It doesn't matter what game it is. It is shown to make you understand how it works. Nothing funny here.

nothing funny either for sure its not working correct as it is

Edited by fapador
  • Thanks 1

Obsessed with FM's