No crashes in Win 8 comp. mode - really? yes!

wernst

Posted (edited)

At first I couldn't believe it and thought: what a crazy idea, the craziest of them all.

In addition to 2.5.6. stable I have a second 1TB SSD with 2.7.0.5659 installed, as test system - which had multiple crashes, regardless of applying any

of the multiple cure recommendations. 

Just for fun (what I thought initially) I recently started 2.7. in W8 comp. mode (64 bit, admin). I tried all possible "painful" startup options without implementing any of the many recommendations. Success . . . . no single crash for 2 days so far. 

Now I'm not only speechless but wondering what's going on here.
Everyone from DCS strongly recommends installing the very latest updates for Win 10 and relevant graphics drivers, and then that.

I don't know what else to do but I think it is worth investigating this "miracle" further.

I would ask myself: What is different in W8 to W10 considering what is different from 2.5.6. to 2.7.xxxx

EDIT: Please note: The "I'm running DCS in W8 / W7 comp. mode" idea is not mine. It has been reported here by various members.

Edited by wernst
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I involuntarily switched to W10 to use W7 again!

"We will no longer be supporting Windows 7. Users who do not want not to change their operating system can still enjoy DCS World 2.5.6. However, new updates will not be available. In order to attend to your needs more diligently, please download the latest version. "

🖥️Asus B-85 Pro Gamer, i7 4790K non-oc, Asus GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB non-oc RAM, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus - 512 GB,🕹️VKB NXT Premium, W10 64-bit.

Posted (edited)

Good Job wernst!

It works for me.

Thanks 🤠

Guys you need to try wernst's idea. Tried many other ideas for crashes and they didn't work. I've had no crashes since using Win8 compatibility mode in Win10! I was crashing all the time when entering the second mission.

Cheers

Edited by whurst1

The first idea was probably given to the user Tunuki44, on the contrary the user Wernst was afraid to switch the mode until the last moment.

🖥️Asus B-85 Pro Gamer, i7 4790K non-oc, Asus GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB non-oc RAM, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus - 512 GB,🕹️VKB NXT Premium, W10 64-bit.

57 minutes ago, petsild said:

The first idea was probably given to the user Tunuki44, on the contrary the user Wernst was afraid to switch the mode until the last moment.

Yes, I got the tip from tunuki44 in the other thread and it works for me as well. For five days now, no crash. Usually since 2.7 I had one every few reloads...

Win 10, I5-9600K @5,0Ghz, RTX2070S, 32GB Ram, 2x 512GB SSD (one .M2 exclusivly for DCS), TrackIRpro 4, TM Warthog, VKB T-Rudder Mk IV

19 hours ago, petsild said:

I involuntarily switched to W10 to use W7 again!

"We will no longer be supporting Windows 7. Users who do not want not to change their operating system can still enjoy DCS World 2.5.6. However, new updates will not be available. In order to attend to your needs more diligently, please download the latest version. "

That's what amazes me. Obviously, by jumping from version 2.5.6. to version 2.7. elementary changes are made that should only work with latest W10. That was the plan.

Ironically, 2.7 works now only crash free when playing DCS in W8 or W7 comp. mode. Crazy DCS world. 

I just hope the developers aren't as clueless as I am right now - I bet they are not.

An unnecessarily hurried step, but fortunately the compatibility mode works reliably.