VR Scale [IPD] Accuracy - vs Real Life

Convexrook

I would like to know from a real F/A 18 Pilot, what is the accurate scale in VR for the hornet.

Devices:

HP reverb G2 - G2

Vive Pro - VP

Valve Index - VI

currently I use:

G2 - 68 IPD - in game default IPD

VP - 70 - in game default IPD

VI -70 - in game 73 IPD

zprwsp-6.png

Its relative how IPD and scale is perceived.

• Like 3

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Valve Index user here.

I use for the Hornet and Viper DCS VR Options IPD 56. The default value (65) makes me feel a giant in the cockpit.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Yeah it's all about how you perceive it.

My best recommendation is to turn on the pilot and adjust so that the pilot's feet/knees feel about like they look like where yours would be.  It helps if you have a bit of a cockpit so that you're "feeling" like your legs are out front of you like that too...

If it's off it will kinda feel like you've shrunk or grown taller somehow...

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

The correct IPD relates to YOUR specific eyes, how far apart they are, how they work with your VR goggles, how they lenses in your VR goggles work and if they are fixed or movable. So many variables. Your IPD settings are individual to you.

You basically adjust the ingame IPD setting till you get something that "feels" right. Putting the pilot body on can be useful for getting it feeling about right. For reference the DDI/MPCDs in the Hornet at 5x5 inch. 

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Thanks all. I took some measurements from the real F/A 18 cockpit and it matches the default 68 IPD for the G2 in terms of scale. I basically used lifted the headset and compared to a cardboard cutout of the cockpit.

I sit pretty now 🙂 

zprwsp-6.png

IPD is a variable set per person, and by default it is obtained by DCS via the VR API of your headset. The calibration procedure of your VR headset is done to obtain this, but you can measure it yourself using a mirror, an app or by asking your optician.

This isn’t something that you ask others, this is something that is very specific to you and your facial dimension. IPD represents the baseline of the stereoscopic system that is your eyes, and as you know, the distance between your eyes depends on your own measurements, not anyone else’s.

On 5/20/2021 at 10:55 PM, Deano87 said:

The correct IPD relates to YOUR specific eyes, how far apart they are, how they work with your VR goggles, how they lenses in your VR goggles work and if they are fixed or movable. So many variables. Your IPD settings are individual to you.

You basically adjust the ingame IPD setting till you get something that "feels" right. Putting the pilot body on can be useful for getting it feeling about right. For reference the DDI/MPCDs in the Hornet at 5x5 inch. 

Yeha that's correct. What is strange is that in dcs one ipd setting doesn't match all the aircraft. So one setting works for the a10 but no the p51. That is due to an error on EDs part. 

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

1 hour ago, hazzer said:

Yeha that's correct. What is strange is that in dcs one ipd setting doesn't match all the aircraft. So one setting works for the a10 but no the p51. That is due to an error on EDs part. 

Huh, Works fine for me. The A-10 cockpit feels massive, which it should do.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.