Questions about RPM and engine vibration.

The manual says 600-1100 RPM should be avoided at all costs to prevent engine damage.

So should you retard the throttle to full idle after touchdown when landing, or keep the RPM above 1100?

I find the A8 quite hard to slow down on the ground (and in the air) compared to other warbirds, I find myself needing to use brakes heavily to get it stopped in a short distance.

And in the air it doesnt slow down fast too, in the spitfire, if you pull the throttle back its like an air brake.

So I sometimes sideslip the anton, or use manual pitch to max RPM, and pull the throttle back to 1200 rpm.

After learning about the P-47, radial engines can be damaged and fail very quickly due to windmilling, is this a problem in the anton?

While you landing you can cut throttle to slow down and stop the plane. Braking plane with open throttle is pointless.

But once you slow down enough, apply throttle to avoid this dangerous rpm range.

Fw-190 due to automatic RPM regulator avoids danger of master bearing damage, when you retard throttle engine rpm drops as well. Danger is only when you cut throttle and remain high rpm.

Edited by grafspee
  • Thanks 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor