MiG-29 pilots around here?

Hello, I've been wondering if there're any MiG-29 pilots in DCS that could shed some insight into the plane. I'd love to hear about their experience and eventually comment on the upcoming FF module, and who knows maybe even do some tutorials or something like that!

Edited by ResonantCard1
Specified the FF module
  • Like 2

Main: MiG-21bis, because pocket rockets are fun

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

I don't know of they frequent the forums or want to expose themselves, but I know LazzySeal has a video of one of them landing in MiG-29 just affer the PFM update on Youtube. So they do seem to fly in DCS. 

Edited by Zweistein000

17.05.2021 в 08:13, ResonantCard1 сказал:

Hello, I've been wondering if there're any MiG-29 pilots in DCS that could shed some insight into the plane. I'd love to hear about their experience and eventually comment on the upcoming FF module, and who knows maybe even do some tutorials or something like that!

Fighter29 in this topic

• 5 months later...

I flew in MiG-29A military simulator at our airbase twice - 100% realistic cockpit and the view was projected on half globe ahead, map looked a lot like hi-res google earth. I can only say DCS MiG feels like the real sim, requiring a lot of trimming at different power and awful lot of power.

Here is a long interview (English subtitles) with Czechoslovak MiG-29 pilot, who flew MiG-21, 23 and 29. He says 21 was made to be GCIed onto enemy's tail and not for dogfight, 23 had better R-23 rockets and could effectively fire at front quarter but its maneuverability was not much better. But MiG-29 had again better R-27s with triple range and R-73 and R-60, which were very effective. And the aerodynamics of MiG-29 was totally different, allowed them to make before unheard maneuvers and not falling into spin. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/17/2021 at 1:13 AM, ResonantCard1 said:

ResonantCard1 I occasionally hop into Mig-29, but have some issues:

1. It's like flying a hyper-hypersonic missile...... extremely difficult to tame the engines, especially for air-to-ground operations. I recall an expression about a certain as-yet undeveloped nuclear weapon: "Like killing a fly with a sledgehammer" 🙂 I often wonder if the Mig-29's magnanimous thrust means it can outrun just about any aircraft and/or missile? Would be interesting to stage a drag race between two Mig-29's 🙂

2. I'm hopelessly "visual"; imagery speaks a thousand words....... which is much less than the number of words in my rambles 🙂 (sorry about that; brevity is definitely not my forte). While it's more-than-adequately equipped with keyboard/joystick commands, a mouse-operable cockpit would GREATLY reduce the load on my rather feeble, aged memory 🙂 And what an awesome job they did in terms of detail and authenticity!

3. An issue that brought me into the forums is the freeze that occurs (only in Mig-29) when I've launched a weapon and switched to "released weapon view" (F6 key)........ upon impact and detonation at the target, my Windows 10 x64 freezes hard; no amount of Esc nor Alt-TAB does anything, can't switch to Desktop; the only way out is to Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to the task manager to "End Task" DCS World.

I'm curious as to the creation of a mouse-clickable cockpit by a utility I'd seen around long ago called "Helios". I was under the impression it's similar to creating a webpage with transparent links overlaying the backdrop of the cockpit's panels. I've just found a link to templates by a 'Captain Zeen'; step 1 is to put this far down my procrastination list, if I can get around to it.

It'd be pretty cool to hear the flight experiences of a real-world Mig-29 pilot...... it's a BEAST. Other than the extreme speed and personal need for clickable cockpit, it's one of my favorite aircraft both simulated and real-world. I'm also curious as to any beginner-level A-A servers that might exist; the only online gaming I've ever done was in Battlefield 4, where I'd begun to see not just hacker/cheaters, but an audience that apparently laid down their weapons to marvel at the hacker/cheaters' "skills". I can't imagine such a situation in the DCS online realm. I'd actually like to explore the possibility of creating such a server, depending on $$$ required.

My edit: Dunno how, but after updating World 2.7 the Mig-29 freeze in F6 view occurs no more. Must have been "the thingy" on line 173,925,871 of the code 🙂

Edited by salsantana
Mig-29 freeze in F6 view apparently fixed
  • Like 1

Good post.

It's the coolest looking bird in DCS in my view.

I love the Soviet design cues, am a big fan of brutalist architechture and the function as form aesthetic.

I'd buy a FF Mig 29 on day one and could easily get lost in learning it, the same thing I did with the L-39, when starting out, oddly enough.

If you want help with that server idea, I'll give you a hand, I enjoy battling and mainly losing to the AI but online multiplayer is superb in the other Sims/Games I've done in the past; (GPL,CS 1.6, CS:GO, IRacing etc.)

You'd have a sizeable audience with newcomers but I can see issues with "Vulching" veterans taking the mickey by loitering around airfields to splash wobbling learners. 

• Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 6:43 AM, RaveyDaveyGravy said:

Good post.

It's the coolest looking bird in DCS in my view.

I love the Soviet design cues, am a big fan of brutalist architechture and the function as form aesthetic.

I'd buy a FF Mig 29 on day one and could easily get lost in learning it, the same thing I did with the L-39, when starting out, oddly enough.

If you want help with that server idea, I'll give you a hand, I enjoy battling and mainly losing to the AI but online multiplayer is superb in the other Sims/Games I've done in the past; (GPL,CS 1.6, CS:GO, IRacing etc.)

You'd have a sizeable audience with newcomers but I can see issues with "Vulching" veterans taking the mickey by loitering around airfields to splash wobbling learners. 

RaveyDaveyGravy....... heh, I think I might have spoken a bit ahead of my cerebral capacity about that newbie A-A server, and thanks for the offer. Having roamed the Mig-29 controls settings and the vault of unique capabilities it carries, I've got LOTS of reading and more flying to do before snubbing the AI experience. It'd be one thing to find a Helios profile for clickable cockpit, but that does nothing to reduce the learning the how and why behind the switches 🙂

I also quite agree with the "design cues". There is certainly an aesthetic consistency across both MiG's and Su's.

• Like 1