RWS Detection Issues

Hi - hoping someone might be able to help me on some radar issues in the Hornet.

1. I totally do not expect radar to be an all-seeing 100% accurate God seeing view, but I am finding that in RWS mode many targets simply do not appear. I've been comparing what the radar is delivering to what I am seeing in "AWACS Map Mode" (I cheekily have F10 mapped to my HOTAS). Even targets within 20nm sometimes do not appear correctly - or rather momentarily appear then disappear ... I figured they might be turning on radar jamming (happens with F-5s etc) ... but very close they seem still appear very randomly. Is there something I am missing here ... is there a guide to the most effective use of RWS?

2. I also go to TWS after a target is locked that works well ... yet when I switch back to RWS mode the radar bars tracking left and right are stuck in just scanning a middle portion of the scope range, rather than the wide scanning mode. De-selecting the target doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada 

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

1. So for general radar detection performance, its probably a bit more accurate now than it was. But we are missing some really significant QOL things like MSI that will allow targeting of non radar tracks.

Additionally your 'random' detections might be attributed to a low age out setting. If you press the DATA pushbutton and then look in the top right. You will see a number, 4/8/16/32 that will represent the seconds for which a raw hit is displayed until it fades. Now currently this is also applying to tracks (which is shouldn't) but anyway, upping this value will allow more stable tracks with the compromise of a bit more clutter.

2. With this, should be as simple as increasing the azimuth setting; on the bottom of the screen on the left end of that row, there is a value 20/40/80/140 which is the degrees of azimuth the radar will scan. TWS will automatically limit this based on total scan volume, so when you switch back to RWS you might have to adjust this back up by pressing the button to cycle through.

• Like 1

Thank you - will try this out.

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada 

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

I am also back to having radar acquisition problems with the hornet radar. At first I thought it was the clouds, so I jumped in the viper and had zero issues. 

Hopefully the next patch will fix this problem.