Mi-8 aerobatic maneuvers

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about an aerobatic maneuver in the video below.

The maneuver starts at 1.56 min and again at 3.20:

1. Doe anyone know the name of this maneuver?

2. Is it possible do it in any DCS helicopter but specifically in the Mi-8?

I have tried to replicate it in DCS but I can’t sustain it for very long. I seem to come short on anti torque to keep the nose pointed towards the middle.

Thanks!

Any helicopter can do it. For the "anti-torque shortage" you just need to do it slower or go to the other side. If you go to the left, realtive crossswind will try to push your nose to the left, which will increase your pedal demand. If  you go to the right, crosswind will help you. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2021 at 5:17 AM, PHMAC said:

2. Is it possible do it in any DCS helicopter but specifically in the Mi-8I

don’t know about the Mi-8, but here is someone doing it in the blackshark:

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

19 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

don’t know about the Mi-8, but here is someone doing it in the blackshark:

Nice find!...he even remains on the ground with his front wheel. Very impressive!

On 5/16/2021 at 11:17 AM, PHMAC said:

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about an aerobatic maneuver in the video below.

The maneuver starts at 1.56 min and again at 3.20:

1. Doe anyone know the name of this maneuver?

2. Is it possible do it in any DCS helicopter but specifically in the Mi-8?

I have tried to replicate it in DCS but I can’t sustain it for very long. I seem to come short on anti torque to keep the nose pointed towards the middle.

Thanks!

There was an awesome DCS Mi-8 aerobatics video on YT many years ago(don't know the user who made it) but sadly it got removed, probably because of copyright issues(music). There you could see everything from your video done in DCS with the MI-8 and more.

My first try, put a soldier on the runway as reference 😅 a little bumpy and i totally screwed up trying it in reverse....

(should be 1440p after YT processing)

• Like 1

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

2 hours ago, PHMAC said:

Nice find!...he even remains on the ground with his front wheel. Very impressive!

Yes, there is people that is really gifted on their helo handling .. I'm still trying to emulate them ... this is another very impressive video, tough more of an obstacle race kind:

Here is the above mission, updated for DCS 2.5:

👍

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

5 hours ago, unknown said:

There was an awesome DCS Mi-8 aerobatics video on YT many years ago(don't know the user who made it) but sadly it got removed, probably because of copyright issues(music). There you could see everything from your video done in DCS with the MI-8 and more.

My first try, put a soldier on the runway as reference 😅 a little bumpy and i totally screwed up trying it in reverse....

(should be 1440p after YT processing)

Amazing!!!...I loved it!

Thanks for proving it’s possible in the Hip...and more!

Now I need to find a volunteer soldier and start practicing.

Thanks again!

7 hours ago, PHMAC said:

Amazing!!!...I loved it!

Thanks for proving it’s possible in the Hip...and more!

Now I need to find a volunteer soldier and start practicing.

Thanks again!

In the Mi-8 game video thread you will most likely find better aerobatic videos for the Mi-8 than my first attempt to it from above. There i posted the awesome video too but like i said it's not aviable anymore on YT 😞

Here is one from that thread, looks like it was made in the old 1.2(?) version of DCS back in 2013

• Like 1

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Could someone kindly tell me the general order of control inputs to perform this maneuvre in the Mi-8?

Is it :

1. cylic forward and then freeze it in forward position

2. add left / right cyclic depending on intended  turn direction

3. add anti-torque pedal input to keep nose pointed at reference points?

or all simultaneously?

So far I'm not very successful in my attempts..

Thanks a lot ,

Kind regards,

Snappy

2 hours ago, Snappy said:

Could someone kindly tell me the general order of control inputs to perform this maneuvre in the Mi-8?

Is it :

1. cylic forward and then freeze it in forward position

2. add left / right cyclic depending on intended  turn direction

3. add anti-torque pedal input to keep nose pointed at reference points?

or all simultaneously?

So far I'm not very successful in my attempts..

Thanks a lot ,

Kind regards,

Snappy

In the end it's balancing all 3 of them. I'm no aerobatic expert, so maybe we will get some in sight from the pro's here but maybe it helps you to know how i got it running.

Track from that test is attached, i'm running OB, but be warned i'm using VR so the view in the replay is not that great on a monitor(false FOV/shaking) -> you probably want to reset the view(F1...) for your viewing pleasure 😉 I also attached a YT video(should be 1440p after processing) with cockpit view and control indicator activated if the Track file is not replaying correctly - and a picture is worth more than 1000 words, especially since english is not my native language.

I'm doing that by "feel" so following description is a list watching what i did in the track/video but for doing a "clockwise funnel" around a soldier(placed for visiual reference) from a hover:

- trim for near hover(no need for further trimming)

- cyclic slightly left to initiate movement

- use rudder to point nose to soldier

- apply slight forward movement with cyclic

- between the "90° to 180° sector" from the soldier you will need to dip the nose forward a little to enter your "U-turn" around the soldier

- from there it's playing with the cyclic/rudder to keep moving and pointing(slight adjustments with collective as needed)

- with increasing/decreasing your left drift speed and the collective you can adjust the height/radius of the circle 

I hope this helps a little, have fun trying it.

Mi-8_funnel_test.trk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hey Unknown!,

sorry  for my late reply , I hadn't checked the forums for a while . Thank you very very much for adding your video with the control indicators overlay and

explaining your way of doing it step by step!! Adding the track file was an additional bonus 🙂

That was most helpful! I'll give it a try later on after updating my DCS installation to the current version.

Sometimes I'm amazed how kind people can be on this forum.

Thanks a lot again man!

Hope you are well.

Kind regards,

Snappy

Edit: Made it work somehow with your tips..Not consistent nor elegant but at least somehow 😉 

Edited by Snappy
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Snappy said:

Hey Unknown!,

sorry  for my late reply , I hadn't checked the forums for a while . Thank you very very much for adding your video with the control indicators overlay and

explaining your way of doing it step by step!! Adding the track file was an additional bonus 🙂

That was most helpful! I'll give it a try later on after updating my DCS installation to the current version.

Sometimes I'm amazed how kind people can be on this forum.

Thanks a lot again man!

Hope you are well.

Kind regards,

Snappy

Edit: Made it work somehow with your tips..Not consistent nor elegant but at least somehow 😉 

You're welcome, glad it helped at least a little. I don't know if you use VR, but i think it makes flying(heli or AAR) easier because you can "feel" the motion.

Keep having fun. 🍻