Mi-24p Armament

BIGNEWY

I noticed that not every single round fired from the cannon is a tracer now. I assume that's by design? Haven't had the chance to test the mixed belts against infantry but it's a welcome change, so well done Eagle Dynamics. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Supposedly IRL it was 4x HEI-T, 4x HEI, and 4x APT. But there is an AP non tracer round here, someone speculated it could be the APHE round without the 14g of explosive modeled http://www.russianammo.org/Russian_Ammunition_Page_30mm.html

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Well 4 ball 1 trace is very common in Western militaries, but of course there will be exceptions here and there. No idea about Vulcan equiped 20mm's though. And the Bradley IFV has two feed belts at the same time. I think they just press 1 button for belt 1 and a different button for the second belt... that way they can pick and choose what munitions they dispense, at the press of a button... thin skin, HE, thick armor or brick wall, AP rounds... 

That's an interesting mix for the HIND's gunpods, but kinda makes sense, as you probably want to do "one pass hit the gas", or at least only a couple of straffing runs before leaving the threat zone. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 9:20 AM, Enduro14 said:

curious will we get all the flavors of At-9?

image1.jpg

They only confirmed 9M120 and 9M120F, those two only have warhead different the other variants sound like they better rockets and stuff for more range 

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi@all,

Have any of you ever managed to get an enemy helicopter out of the sky with the new 9M220O? I tried AI Petrovich, he didn't even lock the target. I think it was up to me, maybe I had forgotten something. But i think that the update yesterday brought really huge advances. Generally and not just for my beloved Mi-24. Just great! 

• Like 1

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

The target was an OH-58. And it was within reach to take it from the sky with ungided rockets. I had set the switches to automatic and sync was active. It was shown a green and yellow light in the panel. But i hadn't heard an intrusion tone. Also, there was not a text that Petrovich locked on to the OH-58 (shouldn't that actually come?) Is there something else I don't understand correctly? 

Edited by kotor633

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Tell Pete to look at area below helicopter and he will lock him up. Even before, with shturm you could have engaged helos. As long as they don`t do some sudden alt change or crazy maneuvering it will hit. With proxy fuze ataka hit % just got higher.

Edited by Apok

On 10/23/2021 at 4:06 AM, Apok said:

9M120O seems to be effective against light armoured targets in DCS. Even kills Bradley. Using regular 9M120 is only for tanks. 9M120F seems pointless.

9M120F should be more effective against buildings... and should also be able to damage light armoured vehicles quite effectively... 28% more warhead should be noticeable in its effects.

That said I was able to fire the 9M120O and 9M120 from the outer hardpoints, but not the 9M120F from the inner ones... if it never leaves the tube it isn't going to have a use. Petrovitch wasn't cooperating though.

2 hours ago, Avimimus said:

9M120F should be more effective against buildings... and should also be able to damage light armoured vehicles quite effectively... 28% more warhead should be noticeable in its effects.

That said I was able to fire the 9M120O and 9M120 from the outer hardpoints, but not the 9M120F from the inner ones... if it never leaves the tube it isn't going to have a use. Petrovitch wasn't cooperating though.

Works fine on my side. 9M120 outer pylons and 9M120F inner pylons. You can also command Petrovich which type of missile to select with the petrovich menu right short command, see pictures below.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

On 10/23/2021 at 1:06 AM, Apok said:

9M120O seems to be effective against light armoured targets in DCS. Even kills Bradley. Using regular 9M120 is only for tanks. 9M120F seems pointless.

It is not pointless. F has 7.4kg warhead, O has 5.4kg. Way better for unarmored targets like infantry 

20 часов назад, AeriaGloria сказал:

It is not pointless. F has 7.4kg warhead, O has 5.4kg. Way better for unarmored targets like infantry 

Actually F is T-baric so tnt equivalent should be like 10 kg. However without much fragmentation. 

Edited by Sobakopes

On 10/21/2021 at 1:22 AM, kotor633 said:

The target was an OH-58. And it was within reach to take it from the sky with ungided rockets. I had set the switches to automatic and sync was active. It was shown a green and yellow light in the panel. But i hadn't heard an intrusion tone. Also, there was not a text that Petrovich locked on to the OH-58 (shouldn't that actually come?) Is there something else I don't understand correctly? 

Just a thought:

Maybe you were TOO CLOSE.

If you could tag him with basic rockets... your target was probably half a klick away maybe? 

AFAIK, these wireguided ATGM types are... well they are not supermaneuverable nor "smart". Missle wise they are kinda the opposite of say a Python 5, I think they have a very narrow engagement arc, so if you are too far off boresight it'll either not get fired by Mr. Petro, or it might well fail to get a solid hit, might even lose aerodynamic control and just "tumble". 

They also seem to need quite a bit of time to "settle" and go straight to the target, maybe a half second of flight before it properly gets sorted out. That time/distance probably determins the minimum effective fireing range, which closer than, would result in a probable wasted ATGM. 

It's worth remembering, that whole class of ATGM's were not meant to be super-weapons, but rather "good enough" divided by "cheap as dirt", so you'd have enough to blunt several armored divisions, even with misses, lot's of unit attrition, exhausted gunners on their 3rd day without sleep having trouble remembering what their task was... I would imagine that while using ATGM's on helis has happened in real life and certainly effective, ensuring success probably requires near optimum conditions with experienced gunner who is alert and disciplined to work the problem.