Mi-24p Armament

BIGNEWY

• ED Team

Source: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/271462-mi-24p-vooruzhenie-i-boevoe-primenenie/

Mi-24P combat equipment

on the diagrams:

1 - numbering of Mi-24P suspension points in the mission editor (ME)

2 - equipment options recommended by the guides.

Notes.

1. In all variants, a charged built-in cannon installation GSH2-30 with a BC of 250 rounds is provided

2. Bomber ammunition of the scheme may be replaced with the specified calibre (or less) of another type of bombing ammunition.

24_Aprooved_Variants.thumb.png.59731a810293efc0c37acf120d4ce907.png

The peculiarity of the numbering of the suspension points in the mission editor and reality (including in descriptive documents on weapons), see the diagram.

The numbering of the suspension points in the ME DCS is shown above, it does not coincide with the accepted numbering in the documents.

In the diagram:

1 - numbering of beam holders BDZ-57Kr-VM  (dark red). Used when describing the sequence of dropping bombs, "unloading" blocks from the NAR, the descent of the NAR.

2 - numbering of the Launcher Devices (PU) of the Guided Missile Armament (URV) system (green). It is used when describing the missile launcher and when choosing a launcher while using the missile launcher

1412348091_24_.thumb.png.2da89fc1cc0d774edbd1eee32e83d9b6.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 7

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks for sharing Bignewy!

In terms of firing order of the ATGM, based on the numbering I would assume they would be fired in ascending order.

However, I would also guess you would fire from alternating sides. (so 1->4->2>3 for example)

Can you (or anyone else knowledgeable on the subject) shed some light on this?

thanks

Edited by Tinuzz

23 часа назад, Tinuzz сказал:

Can you (or anyone else knowledgeable on the subject) shed some light on this?

To the left of the Shturm-V ATGW guidance unit there is an operator's panel with a launcher switch "ПУ ВЫКЛ – 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 – 8", which is used to select the fired ATGM.

hind1014.jpg

Скрытый текст

Original in Russian

Левее прибора наведения ПТРК «Штурм-В» имеется щиток оператора с переключателем пусковых установок «ПУ ВЫКЛ – 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 – 8», который служит для выбора выстреливаемой ПТУР.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

Looking forward to seeing the APU-60-2 pylons in the future on the inner pylons and the ground target tracking for IR missiles. A whole 12 missile goodness! Definitely see myself rocking the 4 R-60s on dual rack inners rather than rocket pods until their splash damage gets a bit of a buff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Apok said:

There are pics of R60s on outer and middle pylons. Havent seen any on inner ones. Think Legion is overhyped hes not thinking straight 😁.

Not pics, but in a Mi-24V manual it describes the pylons, including an APU-60-1 and APU-60-2. Not that I remember if it came before or after the 24P. Now to see if I can find that seedy mid-2000s Russian forum again. It's like the Mi-8 missing R-60s and ATGMs kettle of fish which was in a Mi-8MT manual, though again, no idea if the nuances between that variant and the MTV2 mean it wouldn't be able to, or the MTV5, MTV2RN.

I personally doubt that they'll go under innermost pylons. Close to engines/fuselage, have poor field of view for the seekers as the fuselage will obstruct one side completely etc. So I'd think they are probably available for the same stations as Shturm and Ataka.

Besides, I think we shouldn't overestimate their potential as guided air to ground options. We'll see when it's implemented of course, but I doubt the seeker will pickup a ground vehicle against the background as easily as it can against a fast aircraft on a clear and cold sky.

Finally, R-60 is a missile that doesn't have the most fearsome warhead ever. A single hit isn't always a guaranteed kill even on a fighter. So it may not do too much on anything with more than paper thin armor.

I am certainly looking forward to them, but not in addition to ATGMs to kill more ground units with. More as in their stead against other helicopters, but that's just me 🙂

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

36 minutes ago, WinterH said:

Finally, R-60 is a missile that doesn't have the most fearsome warhead ever. A single hit isn't always a guaranteed kill even on a fighter. So it may not do too much on anything with more than paper thin armor.

That's why we're bringing 4 of em, chucklefucks 😉😎And precisely to knock out the softer targets that can still threaten us outside or near 30mm range, yet would not want to waste an ATGM on.

20 minutes ago, WinterH said:

That's an awfully specific type of target, which is I'd wager to say rare :). And I'd rather take 40 S-8s for that anyway 🙂

I read somewhere that the Fox2s were used more in the evening when it's cold and the contrast is bigger, and they were used more to locate the target.

It was somewhere on these forums, can't find the source now.

• Like 1

Yes, I also remember reading the same. It might make more sense in that scenario perhaps, at least from the perspective of being able to acquire a lock at somewhat meaningful distances.

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I remember hearing from someone that they were specifically used in Afghan at night, at a poor mans' TGP - the Taliban would drive their trucks at night with lights off, and the R-60 would be able to pick them up (nights in Afghan are really cold and truck engines are not), presumably followed by an illumination flare and then a rocket/gun attack.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

I remember hearing from someone that they were specifically used in Afghan at night, at a poor mans' TGP - the Taliban would drive their trucks at night with lights off, and the R-60 would be able to pick them up (nights in Afghan are really cold and truck engines are not), presumably followed by an illumination flare and then a rocket/gun attack.

yes it is, it will be implemented in DCS, but a little later

• Like 9

On 5/15/2021 at 4:31 PM, Morrov said:

4 fuel tanks! This thing will be able to fly for hours if we choose to lol

Beware the evils of being a big fat chopper and VRS! When you are close to the all up max weight it would be really easy to get the aircraft into VRS when descending at a low speed.  Also I would recommend a rolling take off when you are all fat and lardy.  However, once you have smite the enemy and launched some rockets and missiles, burned some dinosaur juice she will be just fine.     

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jester224 said:

Beware the evils of being a big fat chopper and VRS! When you are close to the all up max weight it would be really easy to get the aircraft into VRS when descending at a low speed.  Also I would recommend a rolling take off when you are all fat and lardy.  However, once you have smite the enemy and launched some rockets and missiles, burned some dinosaur juice she will be just fine.     

I've scrapped enough helos between XPlane and DCS (mainly the Mi-8 here) due to VRS to know to be weary 24/7 lol

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Apok said:

Its not possible to guide more then one 9M114 at a time on same target?

I don't have specific information about this but I highly doubt that the Mi-24p is able to guide 2 ATGMs at the same time.

vor 51 Minuten schrieb Apok:

Its not possible to guide more then one 9M114 at a time on same target?

out of earnest interest - what made you have that impression?

The Shaitan-Arba/Glass/Crocodile/Hind - P uses a SACLOS system, the sight operated by the pilot-operator is gyrohydraulically stabilized against vibration but not even independently stablized, it also has a 2 stage stepladder launch authority with weapon release by the pilot-commander.

The only way I could think (aka suspect without proper research) of "guiding" two projectiles at the same time would be to get one on a - stationary - target and then launching another one, effectively releasing the first into unguided trajectory while guiding the second one actively on its target. 
Moreso since they use a wireless system (no guidance wire break risk but also jamming and frequency concerns if more than one projectile en route).

And again - those are SACLOS munitions, they have no independent behaviour pattern or target aquisition/designated target auto-slew, just direct optical guidance of the projectile onto target by a pilot-operator (yes I know that crew designation reads weird but that is the English translation, so someone speaking Russian as a native tongue should educate us if those station designations sound odd in Russian too).

PS: to avoid confusion -  "direct guidance" in the SACLOS version of direct guidance, not direct projectile steering as in MCLOS

Edited by rogorogo
  • Like 2