running HP Reverb G2 at 1/2 resolution...what' it look like?

fitness88

Running HP Reverb G2 at 1/2 resolution...what's it look like?

I ask the question because I'm presently still running Rift cv1 with medium settings. If I can't run decent FPS using HP Reverb G2 at full resolution will it end up looking like what I have now with Rift cv1?

i7-10700k@3.80 turbo, 2080S, 64ram,

Thank you.

Edited by fitness88

well not sure what you mean by half resolution? do you want to run the G2 @ 1080x1080?? Or do you mean running the Super Sampling down?

Well from what I qathered the Native res of the G2 is 2160x2160, now I seen Steam VR and other users who set the Percentage to 100% which seems it actually doubles that rez..

I think I seen a article about HP chimed in and said this is correct? I still think Steam VR reports the wrong percentage and in Steam VR the setting should be 50% that is what I ran with my 1080GTX and 10700K @ 5.0ghz.. and ran just fine.

I am still unsure what percentage you should set in the Steam VR but from what I can tell it should be 50% as that states a 2160x2160 rez

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

12 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

well not sure what you mean by half resolution? do you want to run the G2 @ 1080x1080?? Or do you mean running the Super Sampling down?

Well from what I qathered the Native res of the G2 is 2160x2160, now I seen Steam VR and other users who set the Percentage to 100% which seems it actually doubles that rez..

I think I seen a article about HP chimed in and said this is correct? I still think Steam VR reports the wrong percentage and in Steam VR the setting should be 50% that is what I ran with my 1080GTX and 10700K @ 5.0ghz.. and ran just fine.

I am still unsure what percentage you should set in the Steam VR but from what I can tell it should be 50% as that states a 2160x2160 rez

Thanks for your reply.  I don't use steam for anything, I only use the native program.

I read the following:

'A dialog will appear where the Resolution per eye can be set. Edit the Render resolution to be custom then use the slider to change the percentage. HP Reverb G2 is 2160×2160 per eye'.

3 hours ago, fitness88 said:

Thanks for your reply.  I don't use steam for anything, I only use the native program.

I read the following:

'A dialog will appear where the Resolution per eye can be set. Edit the Render resolution to be custom then use the slider to change the percentage. HP Reverb G2 is 2160×2160 per eye'.

You have to use Steam VR with WMR and DCS.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Define "Full resolution"...

Do you mean 50% in Steam resolution settings ? 

The 50% setting is still above the G2´s native resolution (50% = 2232x2188). To me it looks perfectly fine.

Everything above native resolution will improve the picture quality. The higher, the better. The slider goes to 500%, which is 7068x6920 per eye.

But as long as you don´t reduce the render resolution below the native resolution, it will be fine.

The G2 at 50% looks way better than my former Vive Pro at 100%. 

20 hours ago, dburne said:

You have to use Steam VR with WMR and DCS.

Are you saying the only way to have this option with HP Reverb G2 is by using the combo of Steam VR with WMR and DCS?

I would think G2 would have its own native software to give you this option and many others.

Do you have to purchase G2 through Steam in order to use Steam options?

Edited by fitness88

16 hours ago, Eugel said:

Define "Full resolution"...

Do you mean 50% in Steam resolution settings ? 

The 50% setting is still above the G2´s native resolution (50% = 2232x2188). To me it looks perfectly fine.

Everything above native resolution will improve the picture quality. The higher, the better. The slider goes to 500%, which is 7068x6920 per eye.

But as long as you don´t reduce the render resolution below the native resolution, it will be fine.

The G2 at 50% looks way better than my former Vive Pro at 100%. 

I thought the advertising of the G2 mentioned having among many options, the ability to reduce the device resolution by 1/2.  No mention of 3rd party software required to do this.

Edited by fitness88

23 minutes ago, fitness88 said:

Are you saying the only way to have this option with HP Reverb G2 is by using the combo of Steam VR with WMR and DCS?

I would think G2 would have its own native software to give you this option and many others.

Do you have to purchase G2 through Steam in order to use Steam options?

No.

I am saying DCS does not have native support for WMR headsets, hence the need to use Steam VR with WMR for the Reverb in DCS.

No way around that I am aware of.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, dburne said:

No.

I am saying DCS does not have native support for WMR headsets, hence the need to use Steam VR with WMR for the Reverb in DCS.

No way around that I am aware of.

Thanks for that...good to know.

On 5/15/2021 at 12:33 PM, fitness88 said:

I read the following:

Well if you are using a Reverb G2 then you need Steam VR and Windows mixed reality for SteamVR to run DCS, there is no way around it. in Steam VR you will find the "Per Eye setting" where you can change the resolution.. but like I was saying 50% sets you at the native res but you should to be able to go down a bit more but @ 2160x2160 and on a 1080GTX it runs fine with Reprojection.

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

On 5/16/2021 at 6:43 PM, fitness88 said:

I thought the advertising of the G2 mentioned having among many options, the ability to reduce the device resolution by 1/2.  No mention of 3rd party software required to do this.

There is actually a setting in the windows mixed reality options to run the headset at lower resolution (though it doesn´t say 1/2).

Check this video (he´s talking about it at around the 5 minute mark):

I haven´t tried it and, as was already said, DCS requires you to run Steam VR, and I´m not sure if that setting has any effect there or is overwritten by the resolution settings from Steam VR.

And generally, it´s not a good idea to run anything below native resolution. You will most likely take a hit in picture quality.

Thanks for the reply to you all!

The reason I don't use Steam and know very little about it, with the limited experience I had a couple of years back; I was unsuccessful trying to use Steam with software not purchased through Steam as I preferred purchasing direct from the software company.

Is Steam an online software store or is it a performance module to use with compnay purchased software? 

If you can purchase through Steam what is the benefit over direct purchase with the software company?

6 hours ago, Eugel said:

Check this video (he´s talking about it at around the 5 minute mark):

Thanks for the video.

Edited by fitness88

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, Pyker said:

Hi,

I would be interested too in hearing from anybody who actually plays DCS in a Reverb G2 at half resolution.

Like the OP, I’m currently on a CV1.

Anybody?

Thanks in advance.

well, believe it or not I play DCS @ 1544x1512 which comes out to 24% on a G2.. I could go higher but I mostly play online and that gives me the best balance. my specs are in the sig and of course it does not look as good as it could but to my eyes it looks ok. with the MSAA x2 and most others settings on low that is about the best to keep Motion reprojection on @45fps.

Now If I crank up the rez it looks stunning and very sharp, the way it is now the image looks a little softer but the msaax2 helps it a bit.. Now I dont see any SDE and the last headsets I had where a Rift s and Odyssey +, so coming from those headsets it seems a bit of an improvement.

Since getting a newer card even an 2xxx series it out of the question I just have to live with what I see and like I said to me it don't look bad. after a while in VR you just stop looking for the flaws and just fly the mission.. it is all relative but I am used to playing lower rez, I did have a DLP Projector setup and it only was at 1280 x 720 but I used 3D Vision with it which helped it look higher then it was..

now I would love to get a 3080 and crank up the rez but the way it is right now that is not gonna happen this year as well.. so hopefully DSC Stays where it is at or goes to Vulkan and I can get better FPS or at the very least keep what I have.

If you on a CV1 the improvement even if you only went to 25% of the G2 would probally be an improvement as there is no SDE.. 

Edited by The_Nephilim
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pyker said:

Cool! Thanks a lot for your comments.

Your Welcome hope  it helped..

From my testing, the majority of FPS loss in DCS vr covers from the sheer quantity of pixels you're pushing. I can go from low settings to high settings and lose perhaps 10ms after tweaks are applied (openvrfsr@75% & clear water / IC pass shader mod).

Reducing the render resolution in vr is the best bang for buck improvement in performance. Certain settings can improve the visual quality whilst retaining most of the performance, it's all a balancing act 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

On 1/3/2022 at 10:35 PM, holce said:

i have g2. i run a pixel density of .6 and the super sample between 200-300% openvr is 100%

a pd of 0.6 and a super sample set to 250% gives you EXACTLY the same resolution and performance as PD at SS at 100%.... openvr has no impact on DCS ... 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

@holceRead what Speed said again.

@The_Nephilim

Setting super low res and running MSAA at 2x is no good either.  You're forcing a smaller amount of data (pixels) just so you can then turn around and try to re-create the exact same pixels but from interpolated data.  It's better to render the pixels with the actual data than to recreate fake ones.

Makes no sense.

Turn off MSAA and increase res until you get back to the frame times you were at.

@speed-of-heat

I'll bet the dude that posted the old 50% steam setting crap laughs every time he reads these...  What a dork...

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)