Fresh Install of DCS on New Computer

silverdevil

I just completed an install of DCS on a new computer and thought I would share my experience with some helpful tips.

http://pcwiseman.com/downloads_files/DCS_New_Computer.pdf

Please comment via private message.

Good luck!

• Like 2

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Thanks for sharing this info.  Great timing, as I am expecting my new system next week.

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

This is very helpful! Thank you. Regarding modules, did you have to deactivate them on your old PC then install and reactivate on your new PC? Please describe the process and bugs, if any, you ran into. I'm building my new PC today and will be facing the same situation.

27 minutes ago, DH14300 said:

This is very helpful! Thank you. Regarding modules, did you have to deactivate them on your old PC then install and reactivate on your new PC? Please describe the process and bugs, if any, you ran into. I'm building my new PC today and will be facing the same situation.

hello @DH14300 I did not deactivate before firing up DCS on new computer. I never did run it again on old computer. i cloned the entire SSD drive to an HDD so i could get data from it. i then formatted the drive i cloned. i did have to install and activate all the modules on new computer. i believe that as long as you are not logged in more than once there are no issues. i did not want to kill the old computer until i was sure i could run on the new.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 3 weeks later...

On 5/16/2021 at 1:48 PM, DH14300 said:

Look here: Some activation problems (digitalcombatsimulator.com) You no longer need to de-activate/re-activate.

One additional comment - do not use 'Instant Action' to test/tweak settings - always create a mission - that way you can start in the same position every time so can see what effects the changes you are making are having in game against the same conditions/scenery etc. 

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

• 1 month later...

Still- There has got to be an Easier Way !

I understand Digital Rights Management (DRM) and Eagle Dynamics' Right to Protect Content Creation and Profit from it - There has got to be an Easier Way to Move 'DCS World' where-ever one is Legally entitled to.

IF I were King for a Day:

- DCS World would be entirely Self-Contained, and would not have to share Configuration Settings with Windows (Users\Saved Games).

- Save each Module's Custom (Config) Settings in its own Mod Folder

- Simply Move DCS World (New Drive, OS, PC, etc..)  - And all your Settings stay Put (as is) and Move with You ! 

- 'No Fuss - No Muss;   -   Just Ready for "Fights On" !

• Like 1