HP Vive Pro 2

Willie Nelson

Improved FOV, massively improved resolution = improvement, if you have the Lighthouses already, then it's likely a good investment. However it requires to drive a huge number of pixels, if you can drive the hardware at whatever its native resolution at 60hz, if you can't reach 60hz at that resolution on your current hardware and you aren't going to invest fresh hardware to do that , then I would say no.

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Attention!, according to HTC itself:

*DisplayPort 1.4 or higher with DSC* is required for Full Resolution mode.    WHAT?...

https://www.vive.com/eu/product/vive-pro2/specs/

My doubts, how the glare has and if the 120º are from real HFOV... Another option on the market, not a revolution

* DSC: Display Stream Compression

Edited by Werewolf_fs

I think its high res screen will be fine even if you can’t run at 100%. I watch 1080p YouTube streams on my 4K TV all the time and it doesn’t bother me. Wouldn’t you rather have a 1080p movie on a 4K than a 720p screen?

The main reason supersamplings/sharpening filters are widely being used is because we don’t have enough screen resolution on the current VR headsets, and at 100% things are still fairly blurry especially fine texts. 

Regarding DSC:

DisplayPort 1.4 specs

DisplayPort 1.4 7680 x 4320 / 60 Hz / 10 Bit Chroma / HDR and 3840 x 2160 / 120 Hz / 10 Bit Chroma / HDR

As you can see, at 120 Hz only 3840x2160 is supported so there has to be some compression algorithm to push 4976x2488 pixels.  And this is true for other high res VR headsets as well, except that they just don’t tell you about this. 

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

6 hours ago, Werewolf_fs said:

Attention!, according to HTC itself:

*DisplayPort 1.4 or higher with DSC* is required for Full Resolution mode.    WHAT?...

https://www.vive.com/eu/product/vive-pro2/specs/

My doubts, how the glare has and if the 120º are from real HFOV... Another option on the market, not a revolution

* DSC: Display Stream Compression

judging by HP G2 it seems Vive is also doing some clarity multisampling optimization where you need to run the unit at 50% more SS than its physical display pixel count. I.e. with G2's 2160x2160 physical pixel density of the LCD's the SteamVR reports it as 50%. In order to get rid of the peripheral 'blur' it's recommended to run it at 100% SS, which translates to ~3200x3200 total resolution. Running 3200x3200 x 2 x 90hz (G2) is a lot less than running as 3200x3200 x 2 x 120hz (VP2).

However, VivePro will support 90hz just fine, so take that requirement with a grain of salt.

? Are you confusing DSC with DCS ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

11 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

Improved FOV, massively improved resolution = improvement, if you have the Lighthouses already, then it's likely a good investment. However it requires to drive a huge number of pixels, if you can drive the hardware at whatever its native resolution at 60hz, if you can't reach 60hz at that resolution on your current hardware and you aren't going to invest fresh hardware to do that , then I would say no.

I'm probably not going to invest in it for a while as I am very happy with my Reverb Gen 1 but I do wonder about how things look a bit further down the track particularly if Vulkan implementation, scheduled for 2021 Q3 goes well. 120 degree FOV is getting to the sweet spot and perhaps downscaling the resolution a little would have things looking pretty sweet. 

It will certainly be something to keep an eye on. VR is the only way to fly. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Is a single base station likely to be sufficient for DCS for looking over your shoulder etc.?

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

17 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

Is a single base station likely to be sufficient for DCS for looking over your shoulder etc.?

I think you need at least two to set it up.  Base station 1.0 used to be $99.  Price went up.

Edited by Taz1004

17 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

It does 90 or 120hz.  So 45 fps is still a magic number.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

13 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

For seated/desk use, a single lighthouse should be sufficient.

If you want room scale, you want to two or three depending on your room size.