F16 Data Link problems

Hi all,

Ever since the 2.7 update, I've been noticing that the F16's data link has been behaving erratically. Discussing a couple of scenarios (in multiplayer) below. Please do let me know if these are bugs or am I doing something wrong. Thanks in advance.

1. Splashed bandits linger on the HSD for very long. Before 2.7 a splashed bandit used to vanish from the HSD in a few seconds
  2. Bandits keep disappearing and appearing randomly without a drastic change in their aspect

|| नभ स्पर्शं दीप्तम् || - Touch the sky with glory

1 I can relate to the splashed bandits remaining in the datalink and even being able to keep a radar lock after they've been splashed. Had that happen to me recently, flying on a MP PVE server, was flying close to a player F-16, 2 or 3 times in a row i fired an Amraam on a BVR target only to notice everytime that the bandit i was seeing in my datalink plus that i was able to lock had been splashed already, therefore waisting a missle each time, i'm not gonna give exact numbers, but it felt pretty long before they actually disappeared.

I feel like the splashed bandit stayed in datalink and was able to be locked until it actually hit the ground, so a bandit splashed high could take probably more than 10 seconds before hitting the ground.

Of coarse, i'm also unaware whether this is a normal thing or not, just thought i'd mention it in case of.

2 : I can also relate to that, it can be frustrating sometimes to constantly having to relock the bandit because of this constant vanishing. Also applies to the Datalink of coarse.

4 hours ago, SparxOne said:

1 I can relate to the splashed bandits remaining in the datalink and even being able to keep a radar lock after they've been splashed. Had that happen to me recently, flying on a MP PVE server, was flying close to a player F-16, 2 or 3 times in a row i fired an Amraam on a BVR target only to notice everytime that the bandit i was seeing in my datalink plus that i was able to lock had been splashed already, therefore waisting a missle each time, i'm not gonna give exact numbers, but it felt pretty long before they actually disappeared.

I feel like the splashed bandit stayed in datalink and was able to be locked until it actually hit the ground, so a bandit splashed high could take probably more than 10 seconds before hitting the ground.

Of coarse, i'm also unaware whether this is a normal thing or not, just thought i'd mention it in case of.

2 : I can also relate to that, it can be frustrating sometimes to constantly having to relock the bandit because of this constant vanishing. Also applies to the Datalink of coarse.

Thanks Sparx. So I am not alone! 

|| नभ स्पर्शं दीप्तम् || - Touch the sky with glory

I think it is normal to be able to lock and see someone that has not crashed into the ground yet. Datalink doesn't know if an aircraft is burning or not, it doesn't know if the one is diving or crashing. So as long as there is a non-responding radar contact, it is gonna be an enemy.

#2 is probably because he it out of the scope of any allied radar, but I could be wrong here. I noticed this as well on multiplayer servers.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BattleAxes Skinner said:

Hi all,

Ever since the 2.7 update, I've been noticing that the F16's data link has been behaving erratically. Discussing a couple of scenarios (in multiplayer) below. Please do let me know if these are bugs or am I doing something wrong. Thanks in advance.

1. Splashed bandits linger on the HSD for very long. Before 2.7 a splashed bandit used to vanish from the HSD in a few seconds
  2. Bandits keep disappearing and appearing randomly without a drastic change in their aspect

This is not since 2.7

1. it is cause they are still reflecting radar rays, which means AWACS or other donors can see them but they don't know what happened to them so it shows on your datalink.

2. yea they do but I'm not sure how this is modeled in DCS, AWACS can lose track of them too, so they disappear and appear again when AWACS picks them up again for example

Then there is the datalink update rate, every sec or two until it updates, that's why your contacts on HSD are static for a sec, then they move again etc... they are not constantly moving.

When you add all that up you get blanks spots for few sec on your datalink.

• Like 1

One technique is to carry a TGP and use it for your second leaf of BVR.

So, for example.... You and your wingman shoot into the leading edge at 40nm, and crank and go out at ~24nm.

As you run cold, switch one MFD to the TGP in a/a mode. When you pitch back in, any survivors from the leading edge will be ~20nm in front of you. Sort the target group per your plan, but check to see their dead/alive status in the TGP before shooting. If they are dead, hold shots and switch to a sanitizing role as your wingman employs (assuming he sees someone alive).

After this leaf any survivors in the leading edge are now ~10nm behind you, and you are in a delouse situation.

On the first leaf, at 40nm, the TGP can't break out the bandit yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/