A couple of HARM things

Swift.

Now that HARM has PB mode and is nearing completion (nice job ED!)

It seems like a good time to raise a couple of points before the book is closed forever on this weapon:

Capture.PNG

This image, taken from a 2003 cruise video (https://youtu.be/up7V79QzCog?t=1700) shows some interesting things

EOM - Equation of Motion is a mode of HARM that we currently don't have in DCS. Its benefits include later seeker activation to PB which allows a more precise search area. It also allows for a more efficient flight path allowing off axis employment.

TOT - The obvious use here is better ability to time weapon impacts to facilitate SEAD coverage.

Overall Im super impressed and pleased with the HARM we have, but there are evidently a few cool things we haven't yet seen. Let push to get this all the way home as a completed weapon system.

Edited by Swiftwin9s
  • Like 7

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

1 hour ago, Wroblowaty said:

And maybe ED could also think about implementing pylon-mounted direction and ranegfinding receiver as in the summary section of this article: http://www.ausairpower.net/API-AGM-88-HARM.html

From reading it, it looks like it was even tested on F/A-18 A variants. Just a question if it was later on used in field on our variant as well.

Yeah I don't think TAS was ever rolled out. Growler happened instead

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

+1 for TOT indication.

Let's not forget that HARM PB mode should also feature, 'Pre-Briefed' data cartridge / MUMI loaded targets. These are PB points 1-5 and would function similar to the 'PP 1-6' for JDAM. This may well get added when the DTC gets done along with the JDAM points. I think the PB points allow you to name them as well, for display on the HARM page i.e. 'NORTH SA-2' etc for easier identification.

Maybe the TOT indication only indicates when a pre-loaded PB point is selected, although I see no reason why a 'TOO designated TGT' in PB mode wouldn't be capable of calculating a TOT as well.  

• Like 1

Unlike JDAM PP, the HARM PB points can only be loaded via the AMU. There's no way to enter them by the UFC or anything. So that's likely why they've been omitted for now.

Edited by Jak525