Cloud jitter & movement

Hi guys, 

I’m seeing a lot of posts about the wobbly clouds and people saying it’s in VR. I just wanted to confirm that this isn’t just VR, it’s most certainly in 2D too as it’s pretty bad for me on my monitor.

I’m assuming when ED fix it it’ll fix it for both VR & 2D...?

• Like 3

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Just out of interest, are you using any form of head tracking device?

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

Just now, Dunx said:

Just out of interest, are you using any form of head tracking device?

Yeah, TrackIR 5 but it does it when not using it too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

I’ve just not seen many people complaining about it in 2D and only in VR, which made me a bit worried and thinking I’ve got the only wobbly clouds on the monitor! Ha.

I also experienced this jitter when playing online (SoW) I think this started last week with last beta build.

I don't play in VR.

I only see clouds jitter when flying online.

Edited by Slice313

Yeah it was the 2.7 update and the clouds. It’s a known issue but all the reports etc have been aimed at VR.

I just paused really close to the ground and moved my head up and down and came to realize, it's not the clouds, the entire ground in moving up and down for me. Just active pause about 1000ft off the ground, look 90 degrees to the right and look up and down 30 degrees. The entire ground moves up and down for me, just as the clouds do, so perhaps this isn't just a "cloud" thing. Tried recording it, but it's not obvious is the recording. Anyone feel like checking?

11 hours ago, 30mikemike said:

Yeah it was the 2.7 update and the clouds. It’s a known issue but all the reports etc have been aimed at VR.

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure ED knows this is not just a VR issue.

The problem seems to be most striking when wearing any form of head tracking (VR, TrackIR, etc) and when making (small) vertical head movements. But apparently it can also be noticed when just using a monitor, only  much less obvious.

I can only advise you to stop using TrackIR, until ED comes up with a fix.

Personally (I don't have a good monitor, only a HP Reverb), I stopped using fixed wing modules, as the jitters are sickening in VR. When flying helo's at low altitudes, I noticed the jittering is far less striking. Let's hope ED finds a fix soon...

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

2 hours ago, sirrah said:

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure ED knows this is not just a VR issue.

The problem seems to be most striking when wearing any form of head tracking (VR, TrackIR, etc) and when making (small) vertical head movements. But apparently it can also be noticed when just using a monitor, only  much less obvious.

I can only advise you to stop using TrackIR, until ED comes up with a fix.

Personally (I don't have a good monitor, only a HP Reverb), I stopped using fixed wing modules, as the jitters are sickening in VR. When flying helo's at low altitudes, I noticed the jittering is far less striking. Let's hope ED finds a fix soon...

It still does it really bad even without the use of TrackIR. It’s the movement and roll of the aircraft which triggers it, not so much TrackIR. I’m sure they’ll fix it...

21 hours ago, 30mikemike said:

I’ve just not seen many people complaining about it in 2D and only in VR, which made me a bit worried and thinking I’ve got the only wobbly clouds on the monitor! Ha.

2D here. I didn't complain because it was a "known issue" in patch notes, so I didn't see why I should post about it :D. Yeah, noticed it immediately during first flight.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

12 minutes ago, Art-J said:

2D here. I didn't complain because it was a "known issue" in patch notes, so I didn't see why I should post about it :D. Yeah, noticed it immediately during first flight.

I wasn’t going to mention anything as I also saw it was a known issue but the more and more posts about it were specifically about VR and no mention of 2D.

All good though, I’m sure ED will sort it....

20 hours ago, 30mikemike said:

I wasn’t going to mention anything as I also saw it was a known issue but the more and more posts about it were specifically about VR and no mention of 2D.

If they fix it for VR be sure it's also fixed for 2D. Blurriness, jittering is stronger in VR since you have two 2D scenes being rendered and clouds (due to the way they are currently rendered) jitter/move a bit differently for every eye that makes the effect much more prominent.

Edited by XPACT

On 5/11/2021 at 8:19 PM, 30mikemike said:

2D here. I have never in my life gotten motion sick, not in cars, planes, boats, trains or helicopters. So I don’t know how it feels.

But these clouds get me damn close. They’re good for screenshots but that’s about it.

5 minutes ago, EasyEB said:

But these clouds get me damn close. They’re good for screenshots but that’s about it.

Did you try setting them on Ultra, that alleviates the issue for me, it's still there but much less noticable.

On 5/12/2021 at 5:29 AM, Vanguard said:

I just paused really close to the ground and moved my head up and down and came to realize, it's not the clouds, the entire ground in moving up and down for me. Just active pause about 1000ft off the ground, look 90 degrees to the right and look up and down 30 degrees. The entire ground moves up and down for me, just as the clouds do, so perhaps this isn't just a "cloud" thing. Tried recording it, but it's not obvious is the recording. Anyone feel like checking?

Am I the only one having the entire ground move up and down? 

• Like 1

• ED Team

I'm on low end hardware and I get this issue without VR. It seems that it's caused by low framerates not VR specifically.

Also low framerate + motion blur on causes additional issues with clouds, namely dark bands on clouds on right and bottom edges of the screen

Still the same in VR - unplayable due to the jittering

SYS: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi || Ryzen 5900x || Gainward RTX4090 || 2x16 Gb Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200@3800 || XPG Core Reactor 850 Watt PSU || Kingston Fury 2 TB NVME SSD || WD SN850 1TB NVME || 1 x 500 GB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD || 2 x HDD 3TB || Thrustmaster F-16 & F-18 Stick on Virpil War BRD Bases || WinWing Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo || WinWing Orion2 F/A-18 Hornet Throttle Combo (With Finger Lift) || WinWing Takeoff Panel II MFG Crosswind Pedals w. Damper || 3 x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD || Multipurpose UFC ||  Wheel Stand Pro II

VR: HP Reverb G2

This bug is unfixed, but it will be. Is it unplayable? Well not for me. I had a great time. Got good performance and after a short while I didn't even notice anything off with the clouds. Guess I'm easy like that 😉 But then I used to shoot twelve-polygon migs on an Atari ST using a clicky stick.

• Like 2

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

Not rubbing it in but just finally upgraded to 2.7 last week and not seeing any cloud jitters?  I have issues with fps in multiplayer but the clouds look stable to me !

I9, 64Ram, 2080ti and an index 

what a goofy ass program. 

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

I finally managed to fly DCS this morning without significant cloud jitter, but the method of doing so is undesirable.

1. started Oculus Desktop Client and set the refresh rate to 72Hz (lowest)

2. Start Oculus Debug tool and force ASW on thereby forcing 36Hz

3. Start DCS and select the Low preset.

4. Disable shadows entirely (both regular and terrain)

5. When DCS restarts after the settings have changed, start a quick start mission with clouds.

The clouds on the horizon still move a little, but nothing remotely close to how much they did before.

This is the only way with my i9-9900KF and 2080Ti that I could achieve a constant stable frame rate that matched the refresh rate of my headset.

I then tweaked settings gradually up (and not that much unfortunately) until I reached the point where DCS couldn’t maintain a stable FPS and the jitter became apparent as the FPS dropped below the 36fps threshold.

Not trying to provide any workaround or suggest that FPS is the underlying issue, but thought others may find it interesting.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed
  • Like 1

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]