JAS 39 Gripen for Lockon

We will have the Gripen as part of VEAO (we have our own model but will be talking to 211th guys), and we will be developing a full 3d cockpit for all of our planes for DCS.

So it is possible to make cockpits for this game? Where can I find the SDK?

Aircraft Modeller

Current Projects: F-14D, F-16CJ

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For lockon its only possible to make cockpits without functioning mfd's and hud. However, for dcs there is tools that might get released wich will allow you to mkae full functional cockpits like teh black shark pit. If these tools work with flaming cliffs aswell is an unknown I guess.

Corto, yes at the moment with flamming cliffs you have to overlay one of the existing flyable models, so you see their cockpit.

Of course you can change the skin for that cockpit, and you can develop a 3d model of a new cockpit, but you need to leave holes in the model for the guages.

If you take the Typhoon which is a digital cockpit, then a simple overlay won't work.

As Crow said their are tools for DCS to create your own cockpit with fully clickable switches/dials/etc but these are not on general release yet.

So to clarify, any models we produce for FC will be overlaid onto existing flyable airframes, I.e. A-10, F-15 and SU-33.

However, the models we have will also be fully developed for DCS with full 3d cockpits.

Crow, I don't think the SDK for cockpits would work with FC (backward compatible) but I'm just guessing at that as a lot of functions are hard coded into the game engine for FC, wheras a more open architecture is there for DCS.

Corto, yes at the moment with flamming cliffs you have to overlay one of the existing flyable models, so you see their cockpit.

Of course you can change the skin for that cockpit, and you can develop a 3d model of a new cockpit, but you need to leave holes in the model for the guages.

If you take the Typhoon which is a digital cockpit, then a simple overlay won't work.

As Crow said their are tools for DCS to create your own cockpit with fully clickable switches/dials/etc but these are not on general release yet.

So to clarify, any models we produce for FC will be overlaid onto existing flyable airframes, I.e. A-10, F-15 and SU-33.

However, the models we have will also be fully developed for DCS with full 3d cockpits.

Crow, I don't think the SDK for cockpits would work with FC (backward compatible) but I'm just guessing at that as a lot of functions are hard coded into the game engine for FC, wheras a more open architecture is there for DCS.

You can only re-texture LOFC cockpits. That is what makes it so hard to put a modern look onto the cockpit. You have to get creative and trial and error as things do not appear where you would expect them to. No cockpit templates to see where re-textures will end up. Just trial and error.cheers.:thumbup::)

50k for external model yes (includes external cockpit and pilot views).

I'm not sure what the limit is for 3d cockpits (internal views).

The higher the polys, the greater the potential graphics lag when you have multiple planes in flight, I.e. a diamond 9 formation or different aircraft flying close to each other, or close to the ground and other objects like buildings and trees, etc.

Add some smoke and flames to that and it all counts up to some serious lag for older pc systems.

Good point Rattler.

Actually, the Gripen is about 31.000 polys, including pilot. A good part is taken with undercarriage, which is invisible when retracted (it physically disappears using visibility arguments). So, it is not calculated and saves a lot a faces. :)

From the developer point of view this engine is the best sandbox out there. I'll keep modelling planes and wait for better tools to come out. I'll be around.

Edited by Corto

Aircraft Modeller

Current Projects: F-14D, F-16CJ

The two versions on a single slot !

Just selecting the skin will switch between C and D versions. This is all the magic of visibility arguments !

So, the beta-testing is close from end, then the release should come in a few days, just the time to finalize the lods... :)

Then, it will be time to switch to the next project...

My god, skilled eye :p

Btw, I'm still having problems with installing latest beta on modman 6?! I can't add it to the manager. Any of you guys have have a clue what could be wrong?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

O.K. i have to admit, that i had a hint from Tigrou ;)

If You have problem with modman, do it manually.

Open zip package and unzip files from directories in package to matching directories in LO folder.

You can always get new ModMan as well

Be sure to remove the other mods of the gripen in the addons_fc folder first

Bw

Shaggy

Btw, I'm still having problems with installing latest beta on modman 6?! I can't add it to the manager. Any of you guys have have a clue what could be wrong?

Intel Core i7-8700 3,20GHz - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 - 32Gb Ram - DCS on 500 GB SSD - Windows 10 - Thrusmaster Warthog - Thrustmaster TPR pedals - Track Ir 5 - Samsung Odyssey+

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.virtualredarrows.com