IR Maverick question/Is the APKWS currently broken?

Dave62ndFF

I am using the current 2.7 open beta and currently trying to learn my way around the Harrier. I am having trouble with the following if anyone is able to provide answers?

1. When using the IR Maverick, and using the Maverick's seeker to locate targets (i.e. not slaving to TPOD or DMT), how does one undesignate a target and return the Maverick seeker to the boresight position? It would seem that the NWS/Undesignate/FOV button switches between the wide & narrow FOV. Using the cage/uncage button seems to just turn the seeker head on & off and it remembers where it was last looking.

2. Is APKWS currently broken? I was able to use this system successfully with version 2.5.6 however in 2.7 the rockets (attempting to use penetrator warhead) do not seem to be locking on to the laser spot. I have been using the default 1688 setting on the rockets & setting the TPOD to match. Is there another step, fusing option, laser mode etc. that is now required that wasn't needed before?

I have the TDC action/no action box checked in the special options for the Harrier if this happens to have an influence on either of the above.

For 1, I'm not sure if there is a button that does that, but they will automatically come back to boresight if they reach gimbal limit. So normally if you misjudge an approach they will be boresighted again when you come around.

2, not sure, just used them and they work fine at least from an airstart in editor. I think they default to 1688 like other guided weapons.

1) IRMV can be boresighted by caging it and then pressing NWS button as it is in it's "standard" undesignate mode when IRMV is caged (it still changes Maverick FoV if it is uncaged but not SOI, not sure if this is right), after that uncage the Maverick and it should be in boresight.

2) APKWS works fine for me, but I remember some trouble with them not guiding after using IRMV or some other weapon in-between APKWS launches. Couldn't reproduce exact conditions for this though. Check laser mode, it works for weapon guidance in Laser (LASR), Designator+Marker (D+M) and, I think, Eyes modes.

Many thanks for the replies. Aernov, you put me on the right track for the IRMV. I found that by caging the IRMV, switching to DMT, slewing the DMT, then using the NWS button to undesignate, I could return to the IRMV and it would be boresighted again. 

I thought you may may have nailed the APKWS issue too as I was using IR Mavs before switching to the APKWS in the same sortie. However after freshly starting DCS, and only loading up with the APKWS, I still found the rockets were still not tracking the laser. I tried using both LASR and D+M. I started the mission using a hot start on the runway, setting the TPOD laser code to 1688 to match the default code (confirmed via kneepad).

On 5/11/2021 at 1:11 AM, Dave62ndFF said:

1. When using the IR Maverick, and using the Maverick's seeker to locate targets (i.e. not slaving to TPOD or DMT), how does one undesignate a target and return the Maverick seeker to the boresight position? It would seem that the NWS/Undesignate/FOV button switches between the wide & narrow FOV. Using the cage/uncage button seems to just turn the seeker head on & off and it remembers where it was last looking.

IIRC IRL it is Uncage and Cage that switch between boresight and TD.

The Maverick video is always on unless switching weapon or station. So 1st Uncage should bring up the Maverick video (IRMAV on left MFCD and LMAV on right MFCD replacing ARBS/LST (pressing designate should swap between LST/LMAV), or either MFCD that has STORES page open) and then Uncage / Cage will do as name says.

If you happen to overcome the Maverick video (like SSS Left to show EHSD) then you need to get it back by opening STORES page. 

(Tip, manual says that TPOD emulates same Maverick video feed).

2. Is APKWS currently broken? I was able to use this system successfully with version 2.5.6 however in 2.7 the rockets (attempting to use penetrator warhead) do not seem to be locking on to the laser spot. I have been using the default 1688 setting on the rockets & setting the TPOD to match. Is there another step, fusing option, laser mode etc. that is now required that wasn't needed before?

I haven't tested in the 5th May update but in release 2.7 it was working as ever before.

Just fire laser on target and launch at the direction.

If you have laser armed, set for LASR mode (default TRNG) then it should work.

I have the TDC action/no action box checked in the special options for the Harrier if this happens to have an influence on either of the above.

It shouldn't. As TDC ACTION is faster mode to slew, and releasing TDC Down designates with or without slewing first. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

@Dave62ndFF I don't think you missed anything...  I don't do too many air starts (I have just one mission setup for it, quick AAR practice), so I haven't seen that before n I use the APKWS a lot!

I see that the TPOD was on 1688 and so where the rockets (kneeboard) but they behave like they were in a different code.  Definitely smells like a bug to me.

Two tests come to mind:

1) trying to fire an LMAV from air start after a failed launch of an APKWS 

2) Manually setting the code to 1688 (perhaps, even setting it up to something else first and back to 1688) after a failed launch of an APKWS  and retry

7 hours ago, Dave62ndFF said:

After seeing iLOVEwindmills mention using an airstart I set up an airstart myself. Sometimes the APKWS seems to work, often it doesn't. I've attached a .trk file (Nevada theatre) showing it not working if anyone can see something I'm missing.

Harrier_APKWS.trk 642.04 kB · 2 downloads

I can't even see your track properly as on the moment you move TPOD on the target area it is almost 1 km off from them middle of nowhere (typical Track Desync problem).

But still based to tasks, the rockets didn't hit the lazed point. They didn't even start to track the laser. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Thank you for the extra feedback.

I have just tried out the air start mission I was using (as per uploaded .trk), and another mission with a ground start, using the 21st May open beta update. The APKWS seems to be working a lot better. I was able to knock out all seven available targets in the air start mission. I was also able to get hits after using a hot ground start & loading the APKWS via the re-arming interface. In the prior build I didn't get any hits after the ground start. 

I still seem to be getting some rockets that don't track but haven't so far identified a specific sequence of events that causes this to happen.