Internal/External Fuel Options

Raptor9

• ED Team

In the DCS Roadmap 2021 announcement from a few weeks ago, ED released an image of the Apache cockpit.  I noticed the fuel page on the right MPD showed an internal auxiliary fuel system (IAFS) installed (highlighted areas in second image).  I'm curious as to whether this is the version that allows 100gal of fuel with 300 rounds of 30mm, or 130gal of fuel with 100 rounds of 30mm.

On that note, I'm hoping they also include the option to carry the 230gal external fuel tanks.  I know they weren't meant for combat use, but there were instances where 101st AH-64A's in Afghanistan and 3rd ID AH-64D's in Iraq needed the additional range, and carried them anyway.  I can see the desire to carry more than 300 rounds of 30mm internally, and decide to trade a rocket pod for the additional range of an external fuel tank, as in the example below.

Does anyone have pictures of the new, coming helmets? | Page 2 | PlanetSide  2 Forums

IAFS Screenshot.png

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder the same too.

Well, the older, non-crashworthy 230 gal fuel tanks are certainly available and documented on US D models from at least 2002 up to 2011, so it can have the extended range kit installed in the wings.

But I see they actually never use them because in the US they prefer the combo-pak or the 130 IAFS.

IMHO, If the thing was authorized, then it should be available.

Initially, back in the A-model days, installing the 230 gallon tanks meant that the gun had to be inhibited since its range of motion could mean that you shoot the tank. During Desert Storm, the fire control computer software was updated to basically "cut out" a portion of the gun's range of motion in order to prevent that situation. We used to train routinely in the A-model with the 230 gallon tanks. Keep in mind, as mentioned above, the tanks are not ballistic- or crash-resistant, so taking them into combat could be a bad idea. Risk vs. reward and all that.

• Like 2

• ED Team

In the very first cockpit screenshots revealed months ago, one had an MPD on the fuel page, and it showed an internal aux tank. So it looks like they are at least planning to include internal Robbie tanks.

I also hope they include the 230 gal tanks. Some 3rd ID units carried a single external tank with them in Iraq after the initial invasion in 2003, despite the risks as AlphaOneSix pointed out. Some were also used on A-models in Afghanistan initially due to the long ranges involved.

• Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 5 months later...
Just now, FalcoGer said:

How long can you fly on a normal tank? Do we really need this? The Ka-50 can fly for several hours. I've never run out of fuel in that thing.

depending on your profile without robby 2ish.  If you're rock'n as fast as you can possibly go it'll be lower, if you're running towards max endurance longer.  Maybe someone wants to do DCS realistic missions where you're flying for long distances / times.   

• 2 months later...
  • ED Team

Yes, Wags mentioned and showed them in the AH-64 Intro video.

Another reason you might use them is if you want to carry more than 300 rounds of 30mm, but still need additional fuel. It just depends on what combination of munitions/fuel you need. Just like any other attack aircraft.

DCS Rotor-Head

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 4:08 PM, Bedouin said:

I tried to search the answer, but either i am blind or else it hasn't been mentioned... will we get fuel-pods for the Apache, i really like how it looks on the IDF ones.

IDF's Apache fleet to return to service following fatal crash | The Times  of Israel

yes it will be added as seen in wags's videos

Phantoms Phorever!

F4.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 5:32 AM, Raptor9 said:

In the DCS Roadmap 2021 announcement from a few weeks ago, ED released an image of the Apache cockpit.  I noticed the fuel page on the right MPD showed an internal auxiliary fuel system (IAFS) installed (highlighted areas in second image).  I'm curious as to whether this is the version that allows 100gal of fuel with 300 rounds of 30mm, or 130gal of fuel with 100 rounds of 30mm.

On that note, I'm hoping they also include the option to carry the 230gal external fuel tanks.  I know they weren't meant for combat use, but there were instances where 101st AH-64A's in Afghanistan and 3rd ID AH-64D's in Iraq needed the additional range, and carried them anyway.  I can see the desire to carry more than 300 rounds of 30mm internally, and decide to trade a rocket pod for the additional range of an external fuel tank, as in the example below.

Does anyone have pictures of the new, coming helmets? | Page 2 | PlanetSide  2 Forums

IAFS Screenshot.png

the robbie tank that will be permanently installed on release would be the 100gal rank with 300 rounds of ammunition, later, in full release we will have the option to get rid of the robbie tank and have 1200 rounds of ammunition. 

Phantoms Phorever!

F4.jpeg

• ED Team
7 hours ago, HEXO said:

the robbie tank that will be permanently installed on release would be the 100gal rank with 300 rounds of ammunition, later, in full release we will have the option to get rid of the robbie tank and have 1200 rounds of ammunition. 

I know.

DCS Rotor-Head