TM Warthog Base/F-18 Stick still worth it in 2021?

dmwierz

Team,

Not wanting to start a flame or fanboy war, but I am in the market for an updated flight stick to augment my VKB Gladiator MkII, especially for more modern aircraft, like the F/A-18. I have looked at the VKB, Virpil, Winwing, and the old standard, Thrustmaster offerings.

Money is a factor, since I just splurged to upgrade my old (but very functional, AND fully tricked-out) Obutto Ozone simpit with a Yaw2 Pro 3.5 DOF motion simulator. 

I am considering purchasing the TM F/A-18 stick and the TM base, but wonder, in 2021, is this combo still viable? I plan on 3D printing an F-14 grip that will work with the TM base, sometime down the road.

Virpil has a base that will accomodate the TM Hornet grip, for 2X the price of the TM base, and Winwing has a complete base/grip combo for $299 right now, and a mount and extension (FA-18 JOYSTICK COMBO with Mount/Extension(SUPER LIBRA)) for still less than the Wartog base and grip is gonna run me, but I don't believe the Winwing base is TM compatible, so me 3D printing the F-14 grip isn't an option.

Just looking for the Board's opinions and thoughts, to assist me in making my purchasing decision. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by dmwierz

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

It's all about price point. at pre-covid prices or RRP i believe they are good value, if you can afford  a vipril base then thats a better option than a TM base...  

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

6 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

It's all about price point. at pre-covid prices or RRP i believe they are good value, if you can afford  a vipril base then thats a better option than a TM base...  

Thanks, mate. Appreciate your opinion.

Why do you say Virpil is a better option?

Edited by dmwierz

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

all metal construction base, including the gimbal .. actuallits prompted me to ask a question on the vipril forum

• Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I have the full warthog setup with the F-18 grip, I have looked at the Virpil all metal base and I’m very tempted but the thrustmaster base  is great (I have greased it) but I bought it when it first came out and it’s still working great after almost 10yrs so it lasts along time. I use a 10cm extension so movement is very smooth. The F-18 grip, again I bought it when it first came out, it is absolutely excellent, feels very solid and great tactile buttons, it is a step change from the original A-10 one that came with the stick (it also works flawlessly after 10yrs). I can’t fault the setup and as others have said it is down to price, my opinion, if price allows go for the Virpil base CM2 and F-18 grip from thrustmaster.

• Like 1

Asus ROG IX | Intel i7-9700K | RTX 2080TI | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M2 | LG 43” 4K Monitor | TrackiR | Stream Deck XL | Warthog HOTAS | Cougar MFDs x 3 | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Logitech G13| Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset |

Thanks for your input . A preference between the Virpil WarBRD and MongoosT-50CM2 bases?

Looks like the Mongoos is better suited to extensions, spring options, different cams, etc., but the WarBRD may be more equivalent to the TM base?

I also notice Virpil has no platform-specific grips, but the Constellation looks like an F/A-18 stick, and the VPC V.F.X resembles the F-14, is that fair?

Edited by dmwierz

Oh, and bonus round question: if a stick is compatible with the Warthog base, will it be compatible with the Virpil (reflexive compatibility rule)?

My friend has the Virpil CM2 base and came from the Warthog, all thrustmaster sticks are compatible with Virpil bases and you can also use the thrustmaster programming software which is extremely powerful. He is very happy with the upgrade which is what got me thinking about the same route. I think with the CM2 you will have your base for life, as it won’t wear out, with the Warbrd you may always regret not just pushing for the best option. You’ve invested allot already so a little more would be justifiable 😙

• Thanks 1

Asus ROG IX | Intel i7-9700K | RTX 2080TI | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M2 | LG 43” 4K Monitor | TrackiR | Stream Deck XL | Warthog HOTAS | Cougar MFDs x 3 | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Logitech G13| Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset |

2 minutes ago, Oilman100 said:

My friend has the Virpil CM2 base and came from the Warthog, all thrustmaster sticks are compatible with Virpil bases and you can also use the thrustmaster programming software which is extremely powerful. He is very happy with the upgrade which is what got me thinking about the same route. I think with the CM2 you will have your base for life, as it won’t wear out, with the Warbrd you may always regret not just pushing for the best option. You’ve invested allot already so a little more would be justifiable 😙

That was the answer i was searching for, as i use TARGET a lot, so i could continue to use TARGET if i went to a VIRPIL base?

51 minutes ago, Oilman100 said:

Good point, Oilman. Thanks. I generally buy up at least a level, for me, and my family, and rarely has it backfired. 

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

That was the answer i was searching for, as i use TARGET a lot, so i could continue to use TARGET if i went to a VIRPIL base?

Yes. I run a Virpil WarBRD with Target.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments/awfvfe/how_to_use_vpc_devices_with_target/

Edited by Lange_666
  • Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I assume the VPC tool doesnt need to be running once the device is reprogramed ? 

You use the Virpil software to reprogram the Virpil VID to be the same as the Thrustmaster one and thus Target doesn’t see any difference, so it only needs to be done once

• Like 2

Thanks for all the great advice. Not sure of one thing, still, though: if I build a grip that purports to be compatible with the Warthog base, will it be compatible with the Virpil base?

This is the one I'm looking at building:

F-14 3D Printed Grip