Would you pay for a Huey II ?

Frag

Yeah I see some discrepancies from different sources.

https://www.hurlburt.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Fact-Sheets/article/204572/uh-1p-huey/

This says that it was 1800 HP for the original UH-1N vs 1400 for the UH-1H, which makes sense. Most things I've seen show that top speed were fairly similar. I'd still pay for one, or at least like the $10 A-10 upgrade, some better textures and revamped UH-1H. I really want the ability to remove the gun mounts and fly a completely clean Huey.

The N did have two engines, but power vs increase in weight was not a 50% increase. 

Anyhow, to answer the original question, yes I'd pay for a Huey II. I've gotten so much mileage from this one. Belsimtek did an outstanding job and supported it well. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In a heartbeat 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I'd pay but could care less about the Huey II variant.   What I'd pay for is a graphical overhaul in and out, added APR-39 functionality (amazing that they included chaff/flare launchers that hardly any UH-1's carried but neglected the RWR gear) and the ability to get rid of that ridiculous forward external weapons mount. 

Edited by 11Bee

I think the current Huey is good enough. The textures, lights, 3d model/details and damage model could be improved, but I don´t think that is enough to call it "Huey II".

Things like that would be a nice:
- an integrated NS430 navigation system
- a working radar/missile-warning-system
- counter-measures
- Improved animations for crew
- animated passengers (for example soldiers, paramedics and injured) with embarking, disembarking and ropeaction
- visible load/dropable internal cargo like munition boxes, first aid boxes, or food supplys (rice bags).

But than it would be much better to get a completely new module.

I vote for an "UH-1Y Venom".

- digital displays
- flir turret (camera + laser designation)
- counter-measures
- weapons Browning GAU-21, GAU-16/A, GAU-17/A, 70 mm Hydra Rockets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U-1ZFdSR1Q

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wishlist: HH-60G Pave Hawk, MH-60R Sea Hawk, UH-60L Black Hawk, NH90, Super (Sea) Lynx / Mk.88, ME: A placeable animated LSE/marshaller for individual created FARPs

looking forward to: A-6E Intruder, A-7E Corsair II, BO-105 PAH1A1, C-130J, CH-47F Chinook, Eurofighter Typhoon, F-4E Phantom II, F4U-1D Corsair, OH-58D Kiowa, Tornado

Apache beware of the Sikorsky Armed Black Hawk!

I would prefer to see an AH-1F TOW Cobra much more instead of an overhauled Huey. It would really fit the Huey we already have in Cold War scenarios. Sadly if it comes to the Cobra, most guys want the Twin Cobra of the Marines, but I think the F-Model is much more interesting. It was the workhorse of the US Army until the Apache arrived.

• Like 1

CockpitPC1: R9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2SSD|2TB M2SSD|RTX3090|ReverbG2|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|2x GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC1: R9 3900XT|32GB DDR4|2x2TB HDD|RTX2070|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|16GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|GTX660|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlnIIX2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|5950Ultra|2xVoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME - PC4: K6-2+|768MB SDR|640GB HDD|Geforce256DDR|VoodooI|Win98SE

DCS - Modules - 1.jpg

DCS - Modules - 2.jpg

On 5/23/2021 at 5:50 PM, Viper1970 said:

I would prefer to see an AH-1F TOW Cobra much more instead of an overhauled Huey. It would really fit the Huey we already have in Cold War scenarios. Sadly if it comes to the Cobra, most guys want the Twin Cobra of the Marines, but I think the F-Model is much more interesting. It was the workhorse of the US Army until the Apache arrived.

You know the F would be awesome, the W would be cool and what I would like to see but you are right. The F has a lot of potential!

On 5/11/2021 at 5:50 AM, Clean said:

I really want the ability to remove the gun mounts and fly a completely clean Huey.

You can do this currently, just de-select the external mounts option in the armament screen before a mission and you are completely stripped down to just the bird itself.

Yeah I'd be in.

Huey is still my go to module. I play around with some other stuff but I always come back to it. I'd definitely part with some pennies for a graphical touch up, and I'd pay full price for a graphical touch up of the H, especially the weapon mounts for slicks, and maybe some representation of the UH-1V (Medvac version of the H) and HH-1H's, stretchers in the back etc. and implementation of a the UH-1N. More because I think it fits into DCS's median era much better than the H and it had a lot of operators, but there's some Vietnam hardware coming down the line apparently so who knows? or even B/C model gunships? Aerial Rocket Artillery, 40mm nose turret as well as miniguns and rockets.

I'd rather see a MH/UH-60 than the UH-1Y. The Yankee is a beast but only the USMC use it, which makes it limiting for me, and all the glass cockpit stuff doesn't do it for me at all. We'll have plenty of that with the Apache and Kiowa.

• Like 2

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

16 hours ago, Schmidtfire said:

Since, the UH-1H module is in good shape.. and if it is loaded with new content... yes.
But in the case of F-5E Tiger II for example, I think ED should fix and complete what is missing on the original module before making a DLC.

I find interesting that many guys who fly the Huey also love the F5 (I do also). I guess its an era interest ...

As the OP, I was asking about the Huey since it has a lot of love from the community. We see it everywhere on youtube, most of the people who are interested in helicopters praise it (I actually never read bad comment about that module) and I am pretty sure that it still sell a lot since I see a lot of newcomers asking about it.

So I do fly it a lot, but I have to say that switching from the F-16 cockpit to the Huey will make you feel that the game is not from the same era. The 3D really feels outdated. A refresh would be SO welcome.

I like the options proposed here in this thread ...mainly:

A- A cheap (or free) simple 3D revamp with no new functionalities.

B- A version II with few new features based on the same platform.

C- A complete new version of the Huey as a new module.

I guess option A is the most realistic one considering the workload that ED already has. Maybe B .... who knows. But I doubt we will see option C in medium term (even though I would like it for sure).

Edited by Frag
  • Like 2

Most likely a 3D revamp would also mean a DLC (to pay for hours put into the revamp). Huey is probably still a good seller in the store, it is such an iconic helicopter.
But making a new cockpit also lowers the profit of every purchase. While it is not the most gorgeus cockpit anymore, Im not sure that a 3D revamp will be enough by itself to
increase sales. So from a company point of view a DLC makes the most sense here. It brings attention to the module for prospective buyers and lot's of Huey fans will
also choose to update.

Also looking at the roadmap, with new functions for transporting troops etc... It makes a lot of sense making a DLC.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schmidtfire said:

But making a new cockpit also lowers the profit of every purchase. 

Exactly. Which is why I'd be happy to chip some dosh in for a facelift. I think a lot could be done to jazz up the Huey, but I do wonder if there are bigger plans afoot in terms of helicopter gameplay that are making ED wait for a more opportune moment... I can dream anyway!

To me though, the Huey copilot is still the best I've seen in a sim, which is impressive considering the age of the module.

You always have to look at the bigger picture. Helicopters are great for promoting new maps, because it's easier to enjoy objects, the detailed mesh etc.
Hard to get anyone excited about a map from 30000ft. ED also needs to make new AI ground units, AI soldiers, FLIR system etc. And that goes hand in hand with

helicopters and being down in the weeds. I also suspect that the Heli market might be bigger than we realize, it's easy to throw it under the bus as "niché" because
helis are not common on multiplayer servers. I expect lots more helo content to show up in the next couple of years, helo ops in DCS has not reached it's full potential.    

Edited by Schmidtfire
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Schmidtfire said:

You always have to look at the bigger picture. Helicopters are great for promoting new maps, because it's easier to enjoy objects, the detailed mesh etc.
Hard to get anyone excited about a map from 30000ft. ED also needs to make new AI ground units, AI soldiers, FLIR system etc. And that goes hand in hand with

helicopters and being down in the weeds. I also suspect that the Heli market might be bigger than we realize, it's easy to throw it under the bus as "niché" because
helis are not common on multiplayer servers. I expect lots more helo content to show up in the next couple of years, helo ops in DCS has not reached it's full potential.    

Looking at the processing power of the CPU growing at exponential speed in the last 20 years, I think that we could say that ED could probably become one of the first digital battlefield. Some would say that it is not their goal, but I think that the introduction of Combined Arm is a sign that there is an interest there. 

But I do agree with you. If ED put effort on the ground level with detailed infantry, FLIR, civilian units and so on ... that would bring a lot of interest for newcomers. For example ...a typical Apache's mission in the middle east is to patrol roads at nights while using the FLIR system to find insurgents digging for IEDs. Even though a mission like that would be fun as hell and seems relatively simple to create with editor&script, it could not be done right now in DCS since there are no possibilities to animate the infantry. Briefly, the interaction with the infantry is mostly non-existing right now. I would not expect ED to go as crazy as Arma at that level, but at least provide good infantry units as well as possibility to add custom animations. This would bring the mission design to a ole new level!

I derailed off the thread here a bit ... sorry about that.

48 minutes ago, Frag said:

Looking at the processing power of the CPU growing at exponential speed in the last 20 years, I think that we could say that ED could probably become one of the first digital battlefield. Some would say that it is not their goal, but I think that the introduction of Combined Arm is a sign that there is an interest there. 

But I do agree with you. If ED put effort on the ground level with detailed infantry, FLIR, civilian units and so on ... that would bring a lot of interest for newcomers. For example ...a typical Apache's mission in the middle east is to patrol roads at nights while using the FLIR system to find insurgents digging for IEDs. Even though a mission like that would be fun as hell and seems relatively simple to create with editor&script, it could not be done right now in DCS since there are no possibilities to animate the infantry. Briefly, the interaction with the infantry is mostly non-existing right now. I would not expect ED to go as crazy as Arma at that level, but at least provide good infantry units as well as possibility to add custom animations. This would bring the mission design to a ole new level!

I derailed off the thread here a bit ... sorry about that.

With you 100%

The personnel and infantry models are the main limiting factor for helicopter combat operations. I've banged on about this a fair bit, but Infantry that can crouch, go prone, patrol, attack in bounds, stay in cover, seek cover when attacked etc would make helicopter operations a lot better. Then if you added new models for things such as entrenched machine guns, fighting pits, soldiers carrying casualties, stretcher parties, downed pilots, civilian casualties, life rafts/people in life jackets etc you could exponentially expand the possibilities available to mission and campaign creators, and multiplayer creators as well.

• Like 2