How do you delay take off of an AI aircraft until a unit is in a zone?

applepiefrost

I have an AI aircraft waiting on the runway, ready to take off. However, it should wait until a unit is in its zone before it's allowed to actually take off. Is there something in the Advanced Waypoint Options to do this?

I could delay its take off time, but there's no real way of knowing when the unit will arrive. 

Failing any other options, I guess I could do the ol' switcharoo and get rid of the first plane that's waiting and spawn a new one when the unit is in the zone.

Edited by applepiefrost
adding tags

I'm building a campaign! www.coconutcockpit.com

Set the Unit to 'uncontrolled' and add a Triggered Action (right of the waypoints and loadouts) that of type 'Command' and choose "start". Then, when your unit is in the trigger zone, have it issue an AI Task Push of that Triggered Action. Your Unit will activate.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, cfrag said:

Set the Unit to 'uncontrolled' and add a Triggered Action (right of the waypoints and loadouts) that of type 'Command' and choose "start". Then, when your unit is in the trigger zone, have it issue an AI Task Push of that Triggered Action. Your Unit will activate.

This will change the mission though. It sounds like applepiefrost has aircraft on the runway. Using uncontrolled means they would have to move to parking and take extra time taxing to runway.

Instead of uncontrolled, check "Late Activation". Then in the trigger menu set a flag to activate when the unit is in zone:

Once > Unit Inside Zone > Flag 1 on

Then another trigger

Once > Flag 1 on > Activate group (runway group)

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

2 hours ago, Exorcet said:

Instead of uncontrolled, check "Late Activation". Then in the trigger menu set a flag to activate when the unit is in zone:

Once > Unit Inside Zone > Flag 1 on

Then another trigger

Once > Flag 1 on > Activate group (runway group)

This is what I tried first, but the problem is that until the aircraft gets activated, it's invisible and then pops into existence when it gets activated. I would like the aircraft to be there with engines running, and take off when the other unit gets close to it. 

2 hours ago, cfrag said:

Yes, this is a solution but what @Exocet mentioned is true. The scenario is a "GET TO THE PLANE AND GET OUT OF HERE ASAP!". Waiting for an entire startup procedure kinda takes away from that 🙂

In that case you can try a trick where you let the plane start up at the beginning of the mission, but have a ground unit like a truck block off the final taxiway to the runway. The plane will try to taxi but should be stopped by the truck.

Then when the unit enters the zone, make the trigger deactivate the blocking truck. The plane will continue to taxi and takeoff. Also the AI doesn't use fuel while stopped on the ground so that won't be an issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Since he's looking for maximum realism here, I would suggest giving the truck a waypoint with a "hold" command at the initial position.  Then instead of simply disappearing, the truck simply moves out of the way when the initiator (unit entering zone) trips the trigger.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Exorcet said:

In that case you can try a trick where you let the plane start up at the beginning of the mission, but have a ground unit like a truck block off the final taxiway to the runway. The plane will try to taxi but should be stopped by the truck.

Then when the unit enters the zone, make the trigger deactivate the blocking truck. The plane will continue to taxi and takeoff. Also the AI doesn't use fuel while stopped on the ground so that won't be an issue.

1 minute ago, Baaz said:

Since he's looking for maximum realism here, I would suggest giving the truck a waypoint with a "hold" command at the initial position.  Then instead of simply disappearing, the truck simply moves out of the way when the initiator (unit entering zone) trips the trigger.

Ah, good ideas, hadn't really thought about doing that. Thanks guys!

8 hours ago, Exocet said:

@applepiefrost, are you called me ? 😆

I did? 🤔

11 hours ago, Baaz said:

Is there something special I need to do to get the unit to move? He seems very happy to just stay where he is, even though a trigger sets his task to move to waypoint 1. I send a message to all groups, so I know the trigger actually fires. 

image.png

image.png

Instead of move to waypoint 1, use a Stop Condition for the Hold. Most like "Is User Flag" with the flag number for unit in zone and check so it turns off when the flag is true.

• 7 months later...

Guys, what an elegant solution - thank you!  I wanted almost exactly the same scenario.  I used a fuelling truck in front of a jet parked hot on a ramp.  Now it looks like he's been refuelled, got the go ahead and, as the truck rolls off, the jet taxis for take-off.

It's neat, it's thematic and... immersive!

Very grateful indeed

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I have to bring this up again.

I just got into building missions and I find it pretty hard to find up to date information.

In the video above, the guy checks a box, that says "Uncontrolled". this box imply does not exist on my AI aircraft menu.

Also in a different video tutorial someone used a "Hold" command as  an advanced waypoint option in order for the unit to stop what it is doing until a trigger (Flag) is executed. That Hold command doesn`t exist either. 

WTF?

EDIT: Ok...fun fact: The "UNCONTROLLED" checkbox only appears if you select "take off from ramp". NOT from parking lot.

Edited by Phantom711

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png