SEAD AI Task Problem

Angelthunder

I need help figuring out how to get my AI Su-25TM to do his SEAD task.I use four SA-2 launchers and the Fan Song radar and it will never fire it's ARM missiles at the Fan Song radar target with the Attack Group Task when it reaches the Target 3rd Waypoint so it flies back to it's base.It's not a activated ground unit and i'm using it like a static target since it's for testing purposes only.Do i need add any other tasks or enroute tasks or options at a certain waypoint to do it.

Edited by Angelthunder

2 hours ago, Angelthunder said:

I need help figuring out how to get my AI Su-25TM to do his SEAD task.I use four SA-2 launchers and the Fan Song radar and it will never fire it's ARM missiles at the Fan Song radar target with the Attack Group Task when it reaches the Target 3rd Waypoint so it flies back to it's base.It's not a activated ground unit and i'm using it like a static target since it's for testing purposes only.Do i need add any other tasks or enroute tasks or options at a certain waypoint to do it.

You are probably missing:

1. Radar units will have to be active units not static other wise they will not be emitting a radar signature for your SEAD missile to lock onto.
  2. You should have 6 missile units (S-75), a P-19 SR Early Warning Radar and a Fan Song radar system.
  3. Your SEAD aircraft should be able to deliver its payload so long as you have the correct SEAD missiles for the job, you have a SEAD command in the first waypoint, or in a SEAD advanced command (Engage in zone or the like) at a waypoint that is placed approx at the same range to the target as your missiles max range.

Setting up an SA-2 SAM site (research)

There's another radar you need that isn't listed under SA-2. It's the P-19 SR "Flat Face" I think. It's used in both the SA-2 and the SA-3, hence it's loss of the SA-3 designation when the SA-2 system was added to DCS.

Radar

The S-75 typically uses the P-12 early warning radar (also known by its NATO codename, "Spoon Rest"), which has a range of about 275 km (171 mi). The P-12 provides early detection of incoming aircraft, which are then handed off to the acquisition Fan Song radar. These radars, having a range of about 65 km (40 mi), are used to refine the location, altitude, and speed of the hostile aircraft. The Fan Song system consists of two antennas operating on different frequencies, one providing elevation (altitude) information and the other azimuth (bearing) information. Regimental headquarters also include a Spoon Rest, as well as a Flat Face long-range C-band radar and Side Net height-finder. Information from these radars is sent from the regiment down to the battalion Spoon Rest operators to allow them to coordinate their searches. Earlier S-75 versions used a targeting radar known as Knife Rest, which was replaced in Soviet use, but can still be found in older installations.

Site layout

Each battalion will typically have six, semi-fixed, single-rail launchers for their V-750 missiles positioned approximately 60 to 100 m (200 to 330 ft) apart from each other in a hexagonal "flower" pattern, with radars and guidance systems placed in the center. It was this unique "flower" shape that led to the sites being easily recognizable in reconnaissance photos. Typically another six missiles are stored on tractor-trailers near the center of the site.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Ian.

Edited by MadDog-IC
  • Like 1

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Thanks for the reply Maddog.Just two more questions.What do the rings around the SAM site mean.I'm assuming the radar tracking is the outer ring and the second one is the launch zone,but what the third smaller green ring surrounding the site about.And what does the Allow Abort Mission mean under the SEAD Task on my Aircraft Icon in the Advanced Actions Panel mean.Do i need to change it or is supposed to be a part of the task.

7 hours ago, Angelthunder said:

Thanks for the reply Maddog.Just two more questions.

What do the rings around the SAM site mean.I'm assuming the radar tracking is the outer ring and the second one is the launch zone,but what the third smaller green ring surrounding the site about.

What does the Allow Abort Mission mean under the SEAD Task on my Aircraft Icon in the Advanced Actions Panel mean.Do i need to change it or is supposed to be a part of the task.

1. SAM's smaller green ring is most likely minimum range they can fire, Also forgot to mention all SAM units and Radars should be in the same one group (8 units in total).
  2. SEAD -a in first waypoint will make the flight fly directly to a valid target anywhere on the map ignoring all other waypoints and when it kills the target / targets will return to the first waypoint and then fly all the other in order (Not what you would normally want it to do), so I disable the default so it looks like SEAD -a -x command and only enable it on a waypoint within range of the target with an advance command "Start Enroute Task=SEAD" or "Search and Engage in Zone" or Search and Engage".
  3. I usually change the "Reaction to Threat=Allow Abort mission -a" to "Reaction to Threat=Evade Fire -a" so as the flight can't abort its mission when ever it feels like it, being scanned by radar, fired upon and so forth, instead it will do the SEAD objective and evade any enemy missiles.
  4. Add the advanced waypoint option "Restrict Jettison=on" and enable it so that flight will not dump ordinance if threatened and has to do evasive maneuvers.
  5. The Default "SEAD -a" and "Allow Abort Mission" options are there to get the AI flight to do its job, but abort if it is in danger, its not necessarily the best way to get the AI to do the job, hence the changes in options etc I recommended.

Regards, Ian.

Edited by MadDog-IC
  • Thanks 1

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

23 minutes ago, MadDog-IC said:
  1. SAM's smaller green ring is most likely minimum range they can fire, Also forgot to mention all SAM units and Radars should be in the same one group (8 units in total).
  2. SEAD -a in first waypoint will make the flight fly directly to a valid target anywhere on the map ignoring all other waypoints and when it kills the target / targets will return to the first waypoint and then fly all the other in order (Not what you would normally want it to do), so I disable the default so it looks like SEAD -a -x command and only enable it on a waypoint within range of the target with an advance command "Start Enroute Task=SEAD" or "Search and Engage in Zone" or Search and Engage".
  3. I usually change the "Reaction to Threat=Allow Abort mission -a" to "Reaction to Threat=Evade Fire -a" so as the flight can't abort its mission when ever it feels like it, being scanned by radar, fired upon and so forth, instead it will do the SEAD objective and evade any enemy missiles.
  4. Add the advanced waypoint option "Restrict Jettison=on" and enable it so that flight will not dump ordinance if threatened and has to do evasive maneuvers.
  5. The Default "SEAD -a" and "Allow Abort Mission" options are there to get the AI flight to do its job, but abort if it is in danger, its not necessarily the best way to get the AI to do the job, hence the changes in options etc I recommended.

Regards, Ian.

Okay Thanks😃