Mission Compatibility after expansion?

Dangerzone

Just a quick question. Knowing that the map is going to be expanded - if I create a mission in Syria at the moment, will it be playable after the upgrade, or will the locations of the units, zones and airfield references, moose, etc be changed in a way that will break older missions?

(Just wondering if it's OK to start designing complex missions now, or whether I should wait)?

Thanks

Judging from the video Wags posted yesterday, it doesn't seem like we'll have to wait too much longer (month or two?).  May just want to hold off and play it safe.  Would hate to see someone invest a lot of time into developing a mission, only to see it broken soon after.

In case you missed it:  

Edited by Baaz
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2021 at 11:02 AM, Baaz said:

Judging from the video Wags posted yesterday, it doesn't seem like we'll have to wait too much longer (month or two?).  May just want to hold off and play it safe.  Would hate to see someone invest a lot of time into developing a mission, only to see it broken soon after.

In case you missed it:  

Thanks Baaz. 

Maybe that's why I'm not seeing a lot of stuff on Syria at the moment - others are thinking the same way? 😉 

I guess without any further information or confirmation your suggestion is the best - wait, lest the work done on missions/maps prior to becomes invalid.

40 minutes ago, Bozo_ said:

Looks like there’s very significant updates to complements the last one with the Cyprus inclusion, the map is fantastic 

I'm sure it is - that's not the problem. My question is - if I design missions now- with the map that is available to us now- when the new enlarged map comes out - will my map be able to be used/imported on the larger map when it comes out - or will I have to redesign the mission from scratch because unit coordinates will be off, or other unforseen issues. I'm not asking whether the map is good - I'm asking whether or not any missions designed now will be obsolete.

Edited by Dangerzone

they could b but if you design the mission over the existing map u will be able to use it apart that doesn't conflict with the new areas witch would be there first but in any case you can edited the mission as far we know  hope  that helps  

• Like 1

:thumbup:

So I believe the Map dimensions now encompass the Eastern boundary and Western edge, so provided you don't place a carrier where Cyprus should be I believe you will be ok. I notice since 2.7 the seafloor is also modelled so again you should be right if you place any naval asset in water if it fits (again I notice parts of the map where Cyprus should be are only 10ft under water, so I think you have a fairly good chance of being ok..   

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

3 hours ago, shu77 said:

So I believe the Map dimensions now encompass the Eastern boundary and Western edge, so provided you don't place a carrier where Cyprus should be I believe you will be ok. I notice since 2.7 the seafloor is also modelled so again you should be right if you place any naval asset in water if it fits (again I notice parts of the map where Cyprus should be are only 10ft under water, so I think you have a fairly good chance of being ok..   

Thanks shu77. I'd be interested to know what anyone found who designed a mission on the smaller map, and then brought it across to the current one with the larger boundaries - whether that broke anything. If not - I'd expect that would be a good reference for "upgrade compatibility". 

Also - when you mention the larger map - can you please advise if you are talking in stable release, or only in 2.7 open beta?

I run Open Beta, I can confirm per 2.7 that the map extends far enough to encompass Cyprus and LTFG  - GAZIPASA AIRPORT Which I believe is the most Western field within the game area and available map where it didn't really before, I cant speak to non-OB and when this change dropped specifically.

Edited by shu77

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Hi @BIGNEWY  

After seeing Cyprus in one of Wag's recent video's - I'm guessing that you guys internally have access to the latest expanded maps. Are you able to advise  if missions created in Syria 2.5.6 will be able to be played on the expanded map and seamlessly come across (provided there's no ships on the island) - or will these all be broken and have to be recreated due to the change in mapsize?

Thanks

• Like 1

• ED Team
7 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

Hi @BIGNEWY  

After seeing Cyprus in one of Wag's recent video's - I'm guessing that you guys internally have access to the latest expanded maps. Are you able to advise  if missions created in Syria 2.5.6 will be able to be played on the expanded map and seamlessly come across (provided there's no ships on the island) - or will these all be broken and have to be recreated due to the change in mapsize?

Thanks

Any mission should just work as far as I can tell. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 9:11 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Any mission should just work as far as I can tell. 

Not if your Carrier Group travel through Cyprus... 🤣

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815