Abnormal behavior of AGM-88 HARM with DCS 2.7

Narsim1317

Good morning all. After the new update, AGM88 for F-18 has brought some very nice improvements (PB mode), finally giving the opportunity to use the missile close to the real world employment. The problem is...it does not work as advertised!! I Made different trials both in AC and HARM and the resuts are of two difefrent kinds, none of them good.

First case: launched agains SAM-6 in pb (WPDSG on tgt). At 36NM I receive indication of being in range and launched at 500feet, .88Mach. The missile correctly starts its climb and reaches 31.000 feet at 23NM from tgt. Starts its descent activating its antenna (Fan Song is reported transmitting by rwr) and at 20NM increases rate of descent, hitting the ground 13NM from the transmitting Fan Song. The only positive issue is that at least it kept its direction toward the target.

Second case: as above against same transmitting Fan Song and launching at about 34NM. Everything goes smoothly and the missile is in its descent towarsd the target when at 7NM it abruptly makes a 90° turn to the right trying to reach an unknown radar.

In pb you set the location of the emitter via coordinates, and the missile goes up until its apex. Then it starts its descent and opens the antenna searching for the radar I have decide to hit (in this case TGT:126=Fan Song). If the radar is not transmitting, the missile should save its energy still flying toward that transmitetr and, if it eventually start trasmitting, redirect itself on the radar. None of the above works.

Second issue: the SP HARM OVRD does not work as advertise, and actually prevents you to use HARM missile if another emitter illuminates you.

With HRM OVRD boxed the override should not work, and you should be able to perform your normal attack in TOO or PB mode. Wrong!! If you are illuminated by another radar while attacking your SAM-6 in PB, the cross appears over HARM and there is no way to continue the attack using the AGM-88! If you unbox the HRM OVRD, the only thing you can do is launch in SP mode, which means you are basically wasting your missile.

I really hope all this will be fixed, because presently there is no way to perform SEAD mission with F-18.

Is there public documentation supporting your knowledge? If so, forward to ED.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

56 minutes ago, Narsim1317 said:

Good morning all. After the new update, AGM88 for F-18 has brought some very nice improvements (PB mode), finally giving the opportunity to use the missile close to the real world employment. The problem is...it does not work as advertised!! I Made different trials both in AC and HARM and the resuts are of two difefrent kinds, none of them good.

First case: launched agains SAM-6 in pb (WPDSG on tgt). At 36NM I receive indication of being in range and launched at 500feet, .88Mach. The missile correctly starts its climb and reaches 31.000 feet at 23NM from tgt. Starts its descent activating its antenna (Fan Song is reported transmitting by rwr) and at 20NM increases rate of descent, hitting the ground 13NM from the transmitting Fan Song. The only positive issue is that at least it kept its direction toward the target.

Second case: as above against same transmitting Fan Song and launching at about 34NM. Everything goes smoothly and the missile is in its descent towarsd the target when at 7NM it abruptly makes a 90° turn to the right trying to reach an unknown radar.

In pb you set the location of the emitter via coordinates, and the missile goes up until its apex. Then it starts its descent and opens the antenna searching for the radar I have decide to hit (in this case TGT:126=Fan Song). If the radar is not transmitting, the missile should save its energy still flying toward that transmitetr and, if it eventually start trasmitting, redirect itself on the radar. None of the above works.

Second issue: the SP HARM OVRD does not work as advertise, and actually prevents you to use HARM missile if another emitter illuminates you.

With HRM OVRD boxed the override should not work, and you should be able to perform your normal attack in TOO or PB mode. Wrong!! If you are illuminated by another radar while attacking your SAM-6 in PB, the cross appears over HARM and there is no way to continue the attack using the AGM-88! If you unbox the HRM OVRD, the only thing you can do is launch in SP mode, which means you are basically wasting your missile.

I really hope all this will be fixed, because presently there is no way to perform SEAD mission with F-18.

DCS should generate a .trk file you can attach, so that they can properly diagnose the issue

Fly fast and leave a pretty wreck

1 hour ago, Caster said:

DCS should generate a .trk file you can attach, so that they can properly diagnose the issue

As said above you need to provide a track file, Single player missions need to be saved manually after mission ends and you can find it at C:\Users\User\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Tracks (Can differ from a computer to another) it also includes multiplayer tracks and upload it here to be reviewed. 

2 hours ago, Narsim1317 said:

hitting the ground 13NM from the transmitting Fan Song.

Either the missile lost the lock on the target and stopped tracking or it wasn't in range. 

Also I never had any problems with AGM-88C it's very simple and easy to use.

Edited by RosyPlays